Forums Latest Members

Stupid me, casebook gouge changing strap

1. akshaydashrath Feb 7, 2019

While changing my strap the tool slipped and I just gouged into the caseback of my month old Moonwatch. Looking for emotional support :D and advice on if I should polish it with a cape code cloth or will that mess with the Moonwatch engraving :(

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-07 at 9.32.14 PM.jpeg
    superfly likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 7, 2019

Just forget it, it doesn't affect the outward appearance of the watch and will serve as a future reminder to be more careful.

Also, when using any tool, always try to work away from the object, that applies not only to sharp stabby things, but springbar tools as well.

marco, WYO_Watch, superfly and 4 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 7, 2019

And allow yourself the space and time to focus.

akshaydashrath, marco and superfly like this.
  4. BradleyJ. Feb 7, 2019

That hurts ::censored:: Be glad it's only the caseback and not anything visible. I'd be pissed too but in time your wounds will heal :D

akshaydashrath and superfly like this.
  5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 7, 2019

It's not that bad. I wouldn't worry about it.

akshaydashrath, superfly and 89-0 like this.
  6. Donn Chambers Feb 7, 2019

Been there, done that. Just wait until you ding the bezel, or put a deep gouge in the crystal you can’t get out easily with polywarch. Then you’ll know real pain. :)

vbrad26, akshaydashrath and superfly like this.
  7. thenameisnando Feb 7, 2019

it's not so bad. it'll slowly fade away with time from your mind - makes the watch even more yours. I've always wanted to try those spring bar tool pliers, i wonder if those would help prevent situations like these.

akshaydashrath and superfly like this.
  8. superfly Feb 7, 2019

On a watch, it's a big scratch. In the grand scheme of things it simply doesn't matter.

I feel your pain. I had owned my Rolex Submariner for a short period of time. A few months, I think. I was wearing it on a factory floor when I tripped on a wire. A god damned wire I had approved to be right where it was! I caught myself from falling with my watch catching on a steel blueprint stand. Luckily the watch was slightly loose and the edge of the blueprint stand wedged underneath the watch, between the watch and my wrist. The blueprint stand scratched the back of the case. Worse than your scratch, but not too bad considering it could have been a disaster.

The scratch is still there nearly 15 years later. I could easily polish it out, but what's the point since it's on the back?

20190207_200033.jpg

So my advice is to try not to worry too much about it.

Also, you can tape up the case and lugs when removing spring bars to help prevent accidents like this from happening again.

I hope this helps. ;)

akshaydashrath and Spruce like this.
  9. akshaydashrath Feb 8, 2019

Thanks all, great advice :)

10. rob#1 Feb 8, 2019

Just leave it as it is and don’t worry about it, in the grand scheme of things it’s nothing. I scratched a lug changing straps once, and I’m sure at some stage I’ll scratch it somewhere else. It’s like the first scratch on a new car, time heals everything...

akshaydashrath likes this.
  11. hungdangnguyen23 Feb 10, 2019

Don't even worry about it man, that beauty mark adds character. Look at the brightside, at least it's not on the bezel or crystal.

12. Neek U-neek. Get it? Feb 10, 2019

Definitely time to big picture this.

13. vbrad26 Feb 11, 2019

The first ones are always the hardest.
    It will get better.
    Just nailed my Speedy on a wall this morning right when I got to work and scuffed the Hesalite closest to the crown.
    If that would have been the first time, I probably would have just gone home for the day hah.
    Now it's just more annoying than anything.

B369C8BB-ACD4-46EB-93DD-118A992A178C.jpeg

Also just noticed the small ding above "200" when taking this picture.
    Who knows how long that's been there...
    I know it wont work for the caseback, but make sure you have some Polywatch handy.

14. akshaydashrath Feb 11, 2019

Thanks everyone for the emotional support. @vbrad26 I probably would have left the office weeping :D

vbrad26 likes this.