Forums Latest Members
  1. dialstatic May 15, 2016

...and would value your opinions.

I still don't have a Moonwatch, but I always have my eyes open for one. I came across this one, but am far from an expert. I am however an avid reader of Speedy threads and Speedmaster101.

To my untrained eye, this looks like a 145.022, most likely a -71 (it already has the caseback medaillon & engraving, but still has the stepped dial that has a brownish hue from an angle). I think the patina on the markers is nice, but on the hands its a bit dark for my taste (although likely original). Also, the hour hand is flaking. I would have expected the bracelet to be a 1039, but this looks like an 1171 to me (which might be correct if it's a very early -71, I think?).

What I can't figure out is the bezel. It looks correct to me (DONs are not typical but this reference afaik) but I don't know really. It looks blueish from an angle, so it might be old. Or is this nonsense? Also, I can't tell if the case looks polished. What do you think? Do the lines look OK?

I'm sure I could ask the seller for more pictures, but I wanten to train myself & check if this is worth my time & money. Speedmaster101 gives a 'running' value of 2200 and 'good' of 3400. Where would you position this? Thanks a bunch!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. abrod520 May 15, 2016

Bezel's correct, it looks like a just-slightly-faded DNN. I think you're right about it being a -71. The bracelet looks like it could be an 1175 or similar.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 15, 2016

The attention is turning to these -71's.

While they are the first of the medallion case backs, they retain the stepped dial, and some of these dials have aged beautifully.

I do not think they are as common as I once thought, indeed I largely ignored them until I realised that the -71 has a charm all of its own. The updated page is here http://speedmaster101.com/145-022/145-022-71-74-76-78/ I now think the -71 is far different from its 1970's brothers and that the value of the -71's will pull away from the rest.

This watch is definitely between running and good on the chart. Remember the chart list prices that motivated informed collectors pay. It is not a reflection of retail, or auction house prices.

The OP watch would sell for about $2700 on Ebay.

I think it is a very good watch, with a correct bezel and dial, both of which have aged in just the way I like. I recently acquired this -71 and it has a similar patina to the OP watch.

1-P5150002-001.jpg

Note it also has a subtly brown dial. I really think we have all missed this characteristic until now.

The OP watch also has a nice bezel - it looks naturally aged to me.

The bracelet may have been added, as owners often changed the 1039 for the apparently stronger 1171.

I have said it before but I have never heard of a 1039 breaking so I think its all in the mind.

4. dialstatic May 16, 2016

Thank you for your elaborate and highly informative response! This is all I needed to know...the game is afoot ;)

tyrantlizardrex likes this.