Stuck chrono-hand Speedmaster 145.012-67

Any idea how to remove a seized chrono-hand from a 145.012-67?

Thank you for your help

Given the value of a 321 Pro dial, I wouldn’t mess around if I wasn’t confident with this activity. Straight to a good watchmaker.

Unfortunately the watch is already in the hand of a qualified watch maker, who is referring to have a problem in taking the hand away, before servicing the movement.
IMG_7490.jpg
Ouch, that sucks.
I thought you were asking for instructions on how to do it yourself.

Unfortunately the watch is already in the hand of a qualified watch maker, who is referring to have a problem in taking the hand away, before servicing the movement.
Here a picture of the seized hand:
IMG_7490.jpg

So what exactly is the watchmaker's problem with removing the hand? Chronograph hands are pressed on tightly, so they don't slip during the forces of the reset, which can be considerable. There are 2 options - pull it off or pry it off. I'm sure your watchmaker knows how to remove a hand, so this is puzzling why he would ask you to post here for help...

If the tube comes away from the hand and stays on the post while the flat portion is removed (which is not uncommon) it can be repaired.

So what exactly is the watchmaker's problem with removing the hand? Chronograph hands are pressed on tightly, so they don't slip during the forces of the reset, which can be considerable. There are 2 options - pull it off or pry it off. I'm sure your watchmaker knows how to remove a hand, so this is puzzling why he would ask you to post here for help...

If the tube comes away from the hand and stays on the post while the flat portion is removed (which is not uncommon) it can be repaired.
Thank you for your reply.
My watchmaker, who by the way is an expert in restoring pre moon Speedmaster, didn't t ask me to post the "problem".
I was curious to know if there is any "trick" to avoid damaging the hand, considering that it is not replaceable...

My watchmaker, who by the way is an expert in restoring pre moon Speedmaster, didn't t ask me to post the "problem".
I was curious to know if there is any "trick" to avoid damaging the hand, considering that it is not replaceable...

It's either going to come off intact, or the tube will stay on the post when the rivet fails - if the latter happens again it's not a huge thing to repair, in particular for an expert.

could this be an option, even though that I think that the "Ultra Man" hand is a little bit longer
Ref. 3570.40 from 2006
s-l1600.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg
Edited:

Good example of why I send my Speedmasters to top quality watchmakers with loads of experience with these sorts of issues. Several such watchmakers are here on OF. I'll gladly pay a premium for their expertise as they can deal with any possible contingency that may come up, especially when working on vintage watches, and I sleep well at night during the entire process (blissfully ignorant of whatever mechanical carnage they are working through).

So he just contacted you to let you know that he can’t remove the hand? Take it back and send it to a real expert.

So he just contacted you to let you know that he can’t remove the hand? Take it back and send it to a real expert.
I can assure you that my watchmaker is one of the leading experts in Italy, but he is a little bit afraid to damage
the chromo hand considering its rarity...
As said it was my idea to post the problem.

could this be an option, even though that I think that the "Ultra Man" hand is a little bit longer
Ref. 3570.40 from 2006
s-l1600.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

What is your question? Can you replace an ultraman hand with the Japan racing?

You must realize the difference in monetary value between the two? You can make it fit but it will dramatically reduce any value.

Curious, do you have an extract for your watch, and if so, what does it say?

What is your question? Can you replace an ultraman hand with the Japan racing?

You must realize the difference in monetary value between the two? You can make it fit but it will dramatically reduce any value.

Curious, do you have an extract for your watch, and if so, what does it say?
Extract.jpg

The question was, if during the dismounting of the original hand it will be ruined, I could replace it with a Japan Racing hand,
if this part would be still available?

Cheers

The question was, if during the dismounting of the original hand it will be ruined, I could replace it with a Japan Racing hand,

Cheers

You could, but you shouldn't. Try discussing this with @Spacefruit, who is likely the most familiar with your reference.

I am out of my depth here. If it were mine, i would explore all options to keeping the original hand intact. Archer is one of the most experienced watchmakers here and he has already commented.

Good luck.

Cheers

No one is going to stop you from doing so. I assume your watchmaker knows that the hand is still available from Omega.

Still not sure what the real problem, is here, other than your watchmaker being afraid to remove a hand...

If it were my timepiece, I would take it back from the current watchmaker and send it to someone else. If the watch maker is expressing concern about doing a certain component of a job, it’s usually indicative that they lack the confidence to execute. Things usually go downhill thereafter. You’ve also had another very well respected watchmaker here tell you that removing that hand is possible without destroying it. Save yourself from wondering if you should have done something different and send it to another watchmaker for a second opinion. For a watch of this rarity and value, it’s worth the extra legwork.
Edited:

You could, but you shouldn't. Try discussing this with @Spacefruit, who is likely the most familiar with your reference.

I am out of my depth here. If it were mine, i would explore all options to keeping the original hand intact. Archer is one of the most experienced watchmakers here and he has already commented.

Good luck.

Agree, we will do everything to keep it as original as possible. 😀
I will keep you updated.

Cheers