Forums Latest Members

Stuck, as always on vintage vs. new speedmaster

1. JoeScherer75 Mar 19, 2018

Hi all, I'm sure I'm not the first to get completely stuck on this but I have around 4.5-5.5k to look at a speedmaster, a watch that's a dream for me, the history, everything you've all heard it. The new hesalite moonwatch is not a model I'm interested in, my father has it and it's wonderful watch but there's others that interest me a lot more. Secondly, I've done a ton of research and I do not worry about being duped on the vintage market and I have confidence in finding a model that is in good original condition with original bezel, hands, not over polished case and original dial.

My sticking point now is that the reviews for the new FOIS, specifically Arthur Touchot's review on Hodinkee where he liked it so much he ended up buying the watch have got me thinking against vintage, the Fois is a really unique and interesting new model.

This all has me stumped, whats the model you'd go with? FOIS brand new or a 145.022-69 pre moon (or similar, I'd budge on the price a little for the right model)

Thanks for the ideas and help, I can't make a decision between the two!

Edited Mar 19, 2018
    0o0martin0o0 likes this.
  2. rb10chris Mar 19, 2018

It really depends on your personal preference. What are you looking for really? Do you like dials with character and history, or do you want to see something shiny and new every time you look down at your wrist?

whitewolf777 likes this.
  3. Davidt Mar 19, 2018

It's all down to the individual and their personal preference(s). None of us can tell you which you'll prefer. Sure, you'll get a load of people saying "I prefer vintage", "I always go modern", "vintage all the way be because of the charm/history" etc etc but that's no good to you. It's what you'll prefer.

Don't jump in, do plenty o research etc and go with your gut. Threads asking which watch/model should I buy are useless IMO.

4. JoeScherer75 Mar 19, 2018

These are really good points, and I know it's personal preference I just wanted to make this thread because I guess I was wondering if one would be a greater watch than the other, the different case shape, lack of crown guards are cool bonuses on the fois while I think the sapphire crystal is a surprising decision. On the opposite having a real pre-moon speedy is a fascinating watch to have but the differences from the fois I noted right there

Im feel equally balanced between new and vintage, new is fun and amazing to have and vintage comes with character -- I get that, I just can't decide based mostly on the watch, between these two models, less about new v. Vintage, and I didn't make that clear in my initial post, I hope that makes sense, thanks.

whitewolf777 likes this.
  5. Davidt Mar 19, 2018

Different people put difference weightings on all the aspects you describe. Some people will say new is better as a daily wearer, yet I wear an Ed White almost daily.

People also make the argument that vintage has more history. It kinda does but no one here owns a NASA issued watch and one could counter that even new Speedmasters have the same heritage.

Do you like age, character and patina? Go vintage. Do you want a straight lug but can't quite stretch to an Ed White at the minute? Get a FOIS.

Of course you could make a host of reasonable counter arguments to everything I've said. It comes down to personal taste/preference.

Vitezi likes this.
  6. JSal16 Mar 19, 2018

I think the FOIS is a really really good offering. I'm seeking out a blue CK2998.

7. JoeScherer75 Mar 19, 2018

Thanks for this really thoughtful response, that's the right way of looking at it, research and thinking to do, but that's fun.

8. Vitezi Mar 19, 2018

Why buy a copy when you could have an original, back when 'first one in space' really meant just that? :thumbsup:

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  9. Foxy100 Mar 21, 2018

I once heard someone describe the Morgan as the only car that's a copy of itself. For me it has to be pre-moon.

10. KSquared Mar 21, 2018

I was also "stuck" in the same conundrum. I was obsessively hunting on forums for the perfect vintage (or just older) Speedy, and never could pull the trigger. Eventually I bought a FOIS to get unstuck. A few observations: Even though I'd seen it in person before buying, the FOIS ends up feeling a bit dressier than I thought it would. It comes off more shiny and a deeper black. While it settled the pining for a vintage-y pro, it didn't extinguish it altogether, as they are different. At least now I can wait for a perfect (to me) vintage model to come along instead of obsessing.

KstateSkier likes this.
  11. roadsternet Mar 25, 2018

i love in every moment the patina and history of an old watch.

77deluxe likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 25, 2018

In which case you will need about £20k for a nice 2998. Or do you mean first on the moon? That would be more like £7k I guess for a nice -65 Pro.

13. alam Mar 25, 2018

while you continue to ponder on a decision and just in case you missed it...let me point you to this one...

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 25, 2018

Read all your posts.

You want a FOIS now go and buy it and quit your indecision :whipped:

( if you don't want hesalite what do you think vintage have ;))

15. 77deluxe Mar 25, 2018

Go vintage. You eventually will. It’s practically inevitable.

105012 likes this.
  16. 105012 Mar 28, 2018

Part of the fun of buying vintage is the hunt. And the satisfaction when you find a dream piece is inestimable!

17. JoeScherer75 Mar 28, 2018

Reviving this a little, I didn't realize I had gotten more responses, thank you. And frankly, I do enjoy the hunt of a vintage model, And i think that model is a 145.022 pre-moon, not exact, I get that, but I can handle 4.5-5k but its going to be a long time before im comfortable with the 10-12k it takes to get a 321 in acceptable condition.

I think thats where this whole question came from, is a 145.022 69 enough of a vintage speedy compared to a 321? or better to spend similar money on a new FOIS..

I'm leaning now towards the vintage, but its a tough question, and my watch-nut father (thats where i got it from) is not feeling the vintage and is alwasy recommending a new model over the old.

18. Ssunnylee24 Mar 28, 2018

Its an old picture but a picture is louder then 1,000 words.

9BF39E40-C03D-42FB-86C6-8565B4BFA242.jpeg
  19. watchthisway Mar 29, 2018

if you can, suggest trying on both. i suspect that will quickly make the decision for you as to whether you are a new or vintage guy. i would not put too much weight on any articles you read on the internet especially hodinkee (nothing against them but sometimes i question their true motives and objectivity). would you like the new watch as much if you did not read that article? maybe that says something. good luck with the search.

whitewolf777 likes this.
  20. whitewolf777 Mar 29, 2018

Vintage is more money to spend but will most probably keep its value or gain value (given it being cared for properly). New might loose a little value (depending on attractivity and rarity). New is easier to find and buy, vintage is a nice hunt.
    End of the day, is which one do you prefer on your wrist as an only watch, everyday and on all occasions, and how much are you ready to pay at one point, given that you will probably not resell anytime soon.