Forums Latest Members

Straw poll - There can be only one...

1. Mozziebite Aug 22, 2017

In less than a year, my Omega obsession had gone from non-existent to wallet-emptying. I've already got 4, and was just about to finally pull the trigger on a Speedy Pro when I realised that I really should sell 2 or three before I do so. Which got me thinking. And thinking. And thinking. Which Omega would I really like?

So a hypothetical question to the good folks on here. If you didn't own any Omegas, or had to get rid of your whole collection, and were offered your choice of any new one, what would you get? A few caveats:

1. It must be in the current catalogue.
    2. No limited / special editions (I feel votes might be skewed towards a certain trilogy...)
    3. You can never sell it, so value is not a factor.
    4. You can't buy any other watch for a year.

My personal choices would be limited by a few factors. I've only got a <7" wrist, so anything over 42mm is out. That takes care of the big POs, the DSOTMs etc. I prefer out-and-out sporty rather than "dressier" models. That rules out the ATs, IMO. I play a lot of golf, so anything without at least a silicon balance spring is a non-starter. I like a chronograph, but it's not a game changer. So i've boiled it down to a couple of candidates..

I love this watch. Like, really love it.

Omega-Speedmaster-57-watch-2015-4.jpg

This ticks a lot of boxes. But. At over 16mm tall, it's the same as my Seamaster Diver Chronograph, which sits like a Big Mac on my wrist (which is why I never wear it). So with a heavy heart, I would have to turn this down.. :(

Which leaves only one..

Omega-Seamaster-Planet-Ocean-600m-39.5mm-5.jpg

39.5mm, Master Chrono, 600m, awesome movement, broad arrow hands, display back, adjustable clasp, looks sensational. That ticks all the boxes. Well done Sir. Now, the blue or the black? ::facepalm1::

Edited Aug 28, 2017
    BostonCanuck and colin t like this.
  2. w.finkenstaedt Aug 22, 2017

Sorry, but how is the Aqua Terra not sporty and versatile? I'm pretty sure that's the exact reason the collection exists, ditto for the Globemaster.

A PO is by no means versatile, though it is sporty.

akshayluc420, Kmart, Pun and 5 others like this.
  3. Wryfox Aug 22, 2017

So as much as big fat watches look nice and make an impact, if you dress formally for a living(ie suit and tie), your going to curse a large watch in short order due to the watch catching the armhole of suit jacket on a regular basis. Especially in a warm climate(like here in Florida) where you take your jacket off and on during the day. I make this comment since you post a pic with formal dress (and that is not how watch would be worn of course, ie past the wrist)

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  4. semper_shells Aug 22, 2017

This is one modern Omega that currently has my eye.
    [​IMG]

TJH, Albe100, Pun and 6 others like this.
  5. Shailor Aug 22, 2017

Globemaster. Any Globemaster

6. Mozziebite Aug 22, 2017

Ok, the AT is versatile. But I would definitely consider it to be more in the "dressy" category than any other Seamaster. If I was going out wearing a tux, that'd be the watch to wear. Anyway, not the point of the thread.. :whistling:

7. Mozziebite Aug 22, 2017

But I don't wear a suit and tie. Ever. This isn't about arguing with other peoples choice, it's about what you would pick...

8. Df13 Aug 22, 2017

I kinda already made this decision with my Aqua Terra 2500 (usually on perlon or rubber,) which is now my only watch (and I never wear a suit btw,) but, if I had to pick something out of the current catalogue, I'd probably go Speedy Pro Moonphase (I need a date on my daily watch.)

p.s. I play a lot of golf with my non-silicon balance spring AT without issue.

Edited Aug 22, 2017
    ras47 likes this.
  9. Df13 Aug 22, 2017

The AT really isn't even close to being a dress watch. If anything, it's a watch suited for casual dress and jeans. Dress watches are thin, relatively delicate and often precious metal.

[​IMG]

blufinz52 and STANDY like this.
  10. semper_shells Aug 22, 2017

Looks even sportier on the SS Bracelet.
    [​IMG]

11. shutterlife Aug 22, 2017

I would get something in the Seamaster family, more than likely the 300MC. It is something I can wear every day and pretty much anywhere. and when I say I, I mean I personally. Plus there are plenty of straps and nato's I can swap out with. With that said, I have yet to purchase a 300MC because I've been too busy chasing LE watches.

12. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 22, 2017

If someone held a gun to my head and made me pick something following the OP's criteria, I would likely opt for the FOIS (seems to not really be a LE). But personally there isn't much of anything that fits all of the criteria that interests me.

13. Bushido Aug 22, 2017

I will second this notion. Going purely by the OP's criteria, this was the first model that popped into my head as well.

14. Agentmeister4 Aug 22, 2017

My PO GoodPlanet for sure. It's currently the only Omega that I own and the watch that got me into watches.

20170519_132932.jpg
    Shailor likes this.
  15. Longbow Aug 22, 2017

16. Longbow Aug 22, 2017

maybe not the Annual Calendar ::bleh::

Riviera Paradise and Shailor like this.
  17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 22, 2017

All my Speedmasters are either LE or vintage.

I did look at the basel offerings last weekend. Nothing really excited me. However they did not have the new Seamaster 300, so that could be a contender.

18. cvera Aug 22, 2017

Any Seamaster PO would be my vote.

If you don't like that, the Globemaster.

19. Riviera Paradise Aug 22, 2017

Any of the watches below...ranking from most sporty to most dressy:
    PO 39.5 (nice but I am not a huge fan of the HE valve).
    SMP 300
    New Railmaster non LE on bracelet
    Seamaster 300 MC on bracelet (personally I don't like to wear it on the bracelet and it has very long lugs - but looks great on NATO),
    Aqua Terra / Globemaster

I think having a date makes the watch more versatile...so that would narrow the list down to:
    PO 39.5
    SMP 300
    Aqua Terra / Globemaster

All a bit of a futile exercise as it does seem that the OP already has his mind set on the PO...I think he's in love::love::

Mozziebite and Shailor like this.
  20. Mozziebite Aug 23, 2017

"Narrowing it down" is cheating.... pick one. :)