Forums Latest Members

Straton - 70's funk from a microbrand

1. TDBK Jun 3, 2020

With some recent popular threads, it sounds like 70's style may be trending up:
    70s funkadelic, colorficiationated, FAR OUT and groovy watch thread. Show off your 70s thang. and
    Is this the seventies-est watch on the internet?

I recently found out about Straton https://www.stratonwc.com/ which has the flashiest, funkiest collection of watches I've seen from a new maker. Many have quartz movements, but some are automatic, with movements including the Valjoux 7750 & 7753.

Does anyone have experience or opinions of Straton and are they a good option for scratching someone's funky 70's itch but doing so without the complications of vintage?

Here's a few photos from their Instagram:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

noelekal, Dsloan and NikolShep like this.
  2. NyCSnEaK Jun 8, 2020

I had owned a Straton Syncro, with the Seiko Ne88 movement. It was about 14-15mm thick and didn’t hide it well. Ultimately, it was the main reason I got rid of it. Well made and never missed a beat in the year I used it.

TDBK likes this.
  3. MtV Jun 9, 2020

I used to own a Straton Curve Chrono, the 39mm version. It was pretty thick, so it wore larger. I found the looks pretty cool and I picked up a full set for a reasonable price so I thought I’d give it a try.

The Curve comes with the Seiko meca-Quartz movement. Yes, it’s a Quartz, but they did manage to hide it pretty well. There’s no second hand and even the chronograph has multiple moves per second, so it’s not obvious on first glance. Or at least that’s the idea.

Had the watch been slightly thinner, I’d probably still have it. But I’m a tall and skinny guy with a relatively small wrist and it was just a bit too much for me - couldn’t get used to it. For reference: My 40mm Stowa Flieger Verus is about the biggest watch I regularly wear, the Straton felt way bigger and heavier.
    Regarding quality I have no complaints, though. The dial is pure 70s awesomeness and everything clicks and feels properly. They also offer two-tone leather gloves that go with the colors of the watch.

BAAD5B76-92BE-4FCF-ACB6-65ED0558CF3F.jpeg

noelekal and TDBK like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Jun 9, 2020

I think Tudor was ahead of the curve on the 70’s groove with their re-issue of the Monte-Carlo in the Heritage Chrono. I have heard they are also chunky suckers. I will own one (or both) some day- love these.
    25B69A1F-EF99-4F0D-BB4A-332725141BC2.jpeg 10F31765-0B48-450E-A431-7C2A2CEA1580.jpeg

noelekal, MtV and TDBK like this.
  5. Dsloan Jun 9, 2020

Those Stratons look fun! I love the Tudor Heritage Chronos - I almost bought one last year, but I got caught up on there being 3 'minute' marks between each number on the bezel instead of 4. I know it's pedantic, but does that drive anyone else nuts?

noelekal and sonicosa like this.
  6. MtV Jun 9, 2020

Thanks, you just ruined a watch for me. ;)

7. sonicosa Jun 9, 2020

Maybe they are to mark 1/4 our increments since it’s a 12 hour bezel?

ConElPueblo, TDBK and Dsloan like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jun 9, 2020

Thanks dude- can’t unsee that. :cautious:

noelekal and Dsloan like this.
  9. Dsloan Jun 9, 2020

Well, looks like my work here is done. :whistling: sorry, everyone!

noelekal, MtV and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. TDBK Jun 9, 2020

This seems right, the bezel also has 48 clicks, so it's consistent.

Dsloan likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Jun 9, 2020

Ok- I like it again. @Dsloan - I’m not taking you shopping with me- you’ll tell me it’s not the jeans that make my ass look fat.

noelekal, Dsloan and sonicosa like this.
  12. tikkathree Jun 10, 2020

Funky looking indeed. I bought their 7750 chrono, the square cased one, in a past kickstarter campaign. Beautiful design and colour palette and the only snag was that it was such a bold statement watch and I'm a shrinking violet.
    I'd say if you're interested have a go.

MtV likes this.