Forums Latest Members
  1. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 18, 2012

Already added as favourite seller. Thanks LouS.

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 18, 2012

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 18, 2012

Oops, only shipping within the US.:(

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 18, 2012

BOO HISS
    Everyone should boycott him in solidarity with us.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

Unfortunately, the legal aspects of shipping exotic leather items over national borders makes domestic-only sales a necessity in a lot of cases. There are a lot of resellers who ignore these laws, but I can't fault someone who actually complies.

http://www.cites.org/eng/disc/parties/index.php

You good folks down under have plenty of crocs to harvest for watchbands, I understand.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 19, 2012

I understand the need for these laws. However there is something I do not get. Perhaps someone out there knows why and can enlighten me. The laws restrict these strap sellers to import into other countries. If you win a watch in a Sotheby's auction, they also do not ship the strap with the watch if it is from an exotic animal. However, if the watch brands are to import new watches with those straps to sell in boutiques and ADs, those are perfectly fine. Am I missing something here?

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

Volume, paperwork, costs, all comes into play. Importing/exporting single straps:thumbsdown: .

8. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 19, 2012

Got it. Thanks Steve.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

I have not. I'm more of a matte, meditum-to-large grain guy. But I can tell you that nothing will dress up your formal pieces like their "flat Ultra-thin" unpadded no-stitch straps. Goes great with Connies.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

Yes, I am a matte gator large grain guy as well and I must have cleaned out Rustwatches of all his artisanal straps that fit this description. Looking forward to checking out these straps with this new seller that fit this description.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

The numerous Rustwatches posts have been moved to their own thread so that this one can get back to topic.

Another very popular strap for black dial watches is the Hirsch Medici line. Particularly popular with Speedmaster Owners.

Hopefully Fr John won't mind displaying his beautiful Speedy on Gold Brown. (aged)
    DSCNs6.jpg

Here is another Speedy on Hirsch Medici
    DSCN1616.jpg

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

These bands also now come with contrast ivory stitching and they are available on the bay from a UK vendor and in the US from Freda, aka Kenny.

MediciGoldBrownIvory01.jpg

13. fjf Nov 19, 2012

I think we could have a sticky thread with good sources of straps. Most of the shops here mentioned do not ship out of the USA. I have purchased from this UK vendor, and the straps are good quality and feel, but not too expensive:

http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/elite.html

The calf straps are very nice and flexible (not like those rigid and thick cheap ones you can get in ebay), and with shipping they cost like 15 euro. Not bad for the old (and tax hungry) Europe. I have no relationship with this bussiness other than being a satisfied customer.

14. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

Steve, did you happen to get this from Kyle, who got it from Dennis, who bought it from me? If so, I remember that buffalo-grain leather well, and thought it worked better than a black strap for this gold-shell case. If not, well then I made an identical choice... ;)

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

No you're not.

The watch brands are able to get blanket licenses for their bands from CITES after it is determined that the import/export is of a "legal beastie". It's red tape, but not so bad when you are spreading the cost over hundreds of bands.

For a small dealer, I would think the cost to comply with that law is horrendous.
    gatorcpa

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

Nope! both the strap and the watch are different. But I liked Dennis' strap so much that I set about finding one that looked the same. I think I did pretty well :D

18. ulackfocus Nov 19, 2012

That black waffle dial 355 came to me with that strap. Adam, were you the one that put it on the watch? It was a great choice if so.

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

I looked up that strap I used Adam. It is a DeBeer Europa model.

20. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 19, 2012

Dennis, yes, I was the one. I had tried a number of straps after taking it off the (somewhat worn) BOR bracelet.