Forums Latest Members

Strap review: My first Hodinkee strap

1. Fons Feb 7, 2019

Disclaimer:
    there is no affiliation of any kind between Hodinkee or any other brand and me. I love watch straps and would like to share some of my experiences with the community as a pay back for all the great information I acquired through the years reading this page.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I recently received my first Hodinkke strap (faded brown calfskin) after searching their web with well made and beautiful pictures.
    Shipping time was as expected about 7 days from day of payment.
    The strap came on a black box and inside was the strap wrapped on a piece of bubble wrap. :-( It actually was loose inside.

finish1.jpg

As you can see from the images, the packaging is obviously not their main concern, but anyways it suits the purpose.

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

My intentions were to use this strap on my Omega Honeycomb dial with Pontife hands ;)
    It appears that the strap is not 18mm as I expected but a bit bigger, about 18,4mm, I guess it will shrink over time.

finish5.jpg

My first impressions:
    The strap is soft and decent made, it works for the purpose intended but does not meet my expectations.
    There is not much attention to detail, stitching is uneven and edges poorly painted, I was really surprised of the medium quality of it for the price I payed (138 USD including shipping).
    Presentation is poor and I did not received any follow up from customer service.

IMHO is a $20/30ish strap, if I was to pay that for it I would be satisfied but this is not the case.

Thanks for taking a time to read my review, and I'm looking forward to read your thoughts.

bardamu and Slevin kelevra like this.
  2. Slevin kelevra Feb 9, 2019

I’d feed your dissatisfaction back to Hodinkee Customer service.

I bought one strap from them a while back and although they like to take nice pictures of the straps on even nicer watches, in reality the strap was very poor quality.

I was able to return it for a credit note.

Now, this was was back in the day where they still had at least some of their straps made by JPM of which the quality is far higher. I picked a strap I knew was JPM using my credit note.

Good luck.

Fons likes this.
  3. Fons Feb 11, 2019

Yes, I considered about returning it, but time passed by I didn't do it. I had good experience with JPM before also.
    Thanks for your comment!