Forums Latest Members
  1. HikerTz May 2, 2021

Hi,
    I own silver Globemaster AKA strap monster :) I would like to experiment with all kind of straps but I just dont feel comfortable bringing it to my independent watchmaker to do it for me as I am always affraid of geting new scratchies on lugs.

So how hard is to change straps at home by myself? What tool to buy for doing it? Or is it afterall better to do it at watchmaker?

Maybe this is stupid question but never before I wanted to change straps so never bothered to think about this. As I am OCD when we talk about scratches I would not survive to mess things up:whipped:

2. s2000_driver May 2, 2021

1) Practice on a cheap $5 watch - It will become very easy.
    2) Cover the backside of all lugs with thick tape like Scotch heavy duty shipping tape
    3) Use a good quality spring bar tool like the Bergeon 6767-F (fine tip)

Good luck.

Edited May 2, 2021
  3. SkunkPrince May 2, 2021

The Bergeon 6211 is a much better tool.

Edited May 2, 2021
  4. Amg786s May 2, 2021

Do a search for ' Spring bar removal tool' and order something like this from somewhere reputable like Esslinger. I find these tend to keep the actual spring bar 'locked' in place whilst it is being moved away from the lugs.
    [​IMG]

5. hronists May 2, 2021

So, you’re an ocd type, afraid that professional will mark lugs and want to do it yourself without any knowledge.

what could go wrong I wonder

6. s2000_driver May 2, 2021

Are you referring to the 6111? Yes, it is a good one and heavy duty. Works great for thicker straps. If I remember correctly, they replaced it with 8111

7. Gixnic May 2, 2021

Anyone know which Bergeon model works best for the SMP300?

8. Donn Chambers May 2, 2021

4) learn to not worry about scratches. They are on the back of the lugs and you’ll never see them when the watch is on your wrist.

if you are spending more than a few seconds a day looking at the back lugs of your watch, you are wearing it wrong!

;)

Wetworks likes this.
  9. DoctorEvil May 2, 2021

Like you, I'm am newbie at this and don't like accidentally scratching my watch but changing out a strap or bracelet is not hard if you have the right tools and a bit of practice. All of the advice above is sound. I just got a cheap spring bar tool off eBay and practiced on an old Citizen before removing the leather strap on my Speedy FOIS and putting on a steel bracelet. Also, some straps come with quick release spring bars that don't require a tool to remove. I'd suggest you go for those once you've removed the original strap on your Globemaster, if you're planning on frequently changing straps.

trebor2 likes this.
  10. purechaos78 May 2, 2021

I just received my Bergeon 6767-S that I ordered by mistake! Make sure you order the 6767-F model to access the springbar on the SS bracelet if you have it. I was able to make the -S tip work for the rubber strap but no luck on the SS bracelet; it called for some improvisation!

11. s2000_driver May 2, 2021

6767-S (standard) is kind of in between the 6767-F (fine) and the 6111/8111. You need the fine tip to remove bracelets. The best option for sure is the tool specific to bracelets. The Bergeon spring bar tweezers (7825) or the pliers (6825) work really well for bracelets. These are pricey. There are generic versions of the 6825 which are a lot cheaper but quality can be hit or miss.