Forums Latest Members

Strap and buckle sizes for Tri Compax

1. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

Searched for a definitive thread on strap and buckle sizes in this forum but couldn't find anything. Am I missing a good thread on this subject? Wondering if there are standard strap sizes for Tri Compax, I assume it depends on case size to some degree. I have a 36-37mm case, and it looks to me like lug to lug is 19mm, and there is currently an 18mm strap with a small gap. But getting accurate measurements down to one mm is tough with a ruler.

Also I just bought this buckle on ebay for $81, hopefully I did OK. Not sure if it's the correct size (it's for 16mm strap) but figured a 19mm to 16mm taper seemed like a reasonable strap combo. Need to start looking for a UG or other brand strap, if these are indeed the correct sizes. (I'm sure 18mm would work as well, but I prefer not to have the gap).

UG buckle 16mm.jpg
  2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 20, 2016

I'm not sure this is a genuine buckle. A little suspicious of the logo. Any markings or hallmarks? Most tri-compaxes have 19mm lug width and the buckles are either 14mm or 16mm.

Larry S likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 20, 2016

That is not a UG buckle. They are finely made.

4. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

Really? Hadn't even considered that, here is the back and text from the auction, and the link to the original auction. If this is really not UG I will need to get a refund. Item has already shipped.

Vintage Universal Geneve Yellow Gold Tone (Plaque) Buckle

1940's-1950's Style with attached U

Fully Hallmarked (see photos)

Rare, very difficult to find 16mm size (16mm inside measurement)

Vintage NOS condition with age spots and shelf wear, light pitting throughout, light tarnish possible--please see photos!

Overall this buckle still presents very nicely and is in very good condition for a 70 year old unused buckle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uni...OrWVV%2BxL2v3fajheKCQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

buckle back.jpg
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 20, 2016

The buckle that came with my Uni Compax looks like this. Watch came with three pages of appraisers paper and I bought it via PS here so I trust that it's real.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. HeuerLoon Sep 20, 2016

From what I've seen, the croc straps fitted to the 60s Tri taper down to 13.5mm or 14mm.

The buckle you have is genuine.

7. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

so for a 19mm lug I'm assuming you mean a 19mm strap, or 18mm strap?

8. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

I have a tri from 1945. Aside from being genuine, do you think this buckle is correct for that model/time period?

9. HeuerLoon Sep 20, 2016

No. Buckles from that period did not have the logo on them. Your buckle is from the 60s or early 70s

A 40s buckle would have "universal" printed on it.

Here's one from the 50s

image.png
  10. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

thanks for the feedback, appreciated. If I don't keep this buckle, do you think I paid a reasonable price (for example could I flip it at that price to someone else)?

11. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 20, 2016

This particular one is from either the 60s or 70s but it's a genuine buckle

Jonatan and Larry S like this.
  12. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

Jeez u can't even get a UG buckle without needing the experts. Lol, guess it serves me right buying first and questions second. I kind of like the buckle, would it be a faux pas to use it on a 40s tri even though not period correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 20, 2016

Hell it turns out I am using a 60's/70's buckle on a 50's Uni. So all good. Looks great with the watch and the custom strap I had made. I think UG buckles are hard enough to come by that there is no faux pas.

14. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 20, 2016

Yep 19mm strap. There are some watches in the broader Compax family that are 18mm and smaller but for the most part they are all 19mm.

Here is a steel buckle from the 1940s (the top of the buckle is plain) and measures 14mm.
    image.jpeg
    There's one that looks very similar, but according to @woodwkr2 , this one dates to the early 60's (possible earlier). Byron's pics
    Universal-SS-Buckle-17.jpg Universal-SS-Buckle-18.jpg

(A collection of later buckles)
    13151041_1739914106225729_619384157_n.jpg

I'm very suspicious of the workmanship of op's buckle - mainly the off-kilter logo. I'm not too familiar w the 50's and 60's buckles like the ones found on the waterproof Tri-Compaxes, Nina Rindt's, Polerouters, and such, but note how the space between the 'U' on those is raised. I'm inclined to say that it is a fake as I've seen too many of them popping up on ebay. Anyone know what these buckles are supposed to look like on the bottom?

If it was up to me, I would just try to return it, but if you like it then...enjoy? It's just a buckle - not a hufe deal. However, if it is a fake like I'm fairly sure it is then you did overpay considerably. One can buy a whole bag of gold-plated buckles for a fraction of the price. And the NOS tag in the listing is ... (sigh)(face palm).

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 20, 2016

Very clear that the buckle in question is not made to UG standards.

16. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

If this is not genuine, I don't want it. No returns on this item, so if it is not original, I would need to make a case for why it was misrepresented. I'm not sure how I would do that exactly. As an aside, the seller has just posted another buckle, so clearly has more than one. The seller has extensive feedback and 100% positive. I guess I could just write them, point them to this thread, and ask what information they have to suggest this is genuine UG buckle? I would prefer to have more definitive information before I write, like that back should be stamped in such and such way, or whatever.

Here is the new auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Uni...529701?hash=item2a712ef6e5:g:5MIAAOSwYIxX4RdbPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 20, 2016

You consulted on UG forums and Jordn, who is one of our most knowledgable experts, flagged it as a fake. OF is regarded as a very credible source of expert opinion. Should be sufficient IMO.

18. Dre Sep 20, 2016

These buckles are genuine IMO, they were initially offered to me in a lot of 6 by a well known seller that I trust. But the defects on the buckles made me pass on it, and then it was sold to someone who then try to flip it. I won't disclosed the initial asking price for the lot of 6, nor the person who currently selling it to be fair to everyone. I'm sure he still has 3-4 of these buckles left that he will try to sell.

There are 3 types of this particular "U" logo buckles, your one is from the early 50s. Please see my 2 buckles below, the gold one is the same as yours,

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The steel one without the AW logo is from the late 50s, and the gold one is early 50s. Below is another one with the Sun logo from the 60s,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*edited for additional photos

Edited Sep 20, 2016
    bgrisso likes this.
  19. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

thanks for weighing in drechristian, all we are trying to do here is get accurate information in a transparent way. If you happen to know the original seller or the current seller, and they also happen to be on these forums, I would encourage you to encourage them to provide whatever information they have on this thread. Aside from helping me understand more about UG (I'm a newbie) it also provides a resource for others in the future trying to resolve questions around UG buckles. I just want to see the info here on the UG forum be as accurate as possible.

20. bgrisso Sep 20, 2016

Here's another version (although this fits a 14mm strap, not 16mm, so it's smaller than the one I purchased)
    which seems to be the same as the last one posted above by drechristian but in gold plate for sale here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RAR...172237?hash=item33bb63318d:g:oNEAAOSwZVlXiG3UPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

gold buckle back.jpg gold buckle front.jpg