Forums Latest Members

Strange vintage lady's Deville, with unusual 60s style 'gold' strap

1. lizajane Aug 24, 2019

I've been bitten by the vintage watch collecting bug, I just love the craftmanship and history in the older watches, and have started building up a nice little collection. I don't have a lot to spend though, so just keep an eye out for the cheaper bargains on Ebay, and I saw this ladies' Deville automatic for auction. Although the description is a bit vague - just 'Deville Automatic, sold as seen', the photos look genuine, so I thought I'd take a punt. If it's genuine, I thought I'd just change the strap to a traditional leather one. I got it for just £30 including postage, so I'm now thinking it's going to be a dud. I've googled, and not found any other Deville with this weird 60s style strap. I haven't received it yet, but wondered what anyone here thinks?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

Well you have found a nice little Omega De Ville.
    The bracelet is obviously not Omega, just a generic gold plated one fitted by the previous owner at some stage.
    (you can see where the plating has worn away on the back of the bracelet).
    It'll look nice on a leather strap and should be serviced before regular use. A mechanical watch needs regular (at least five yearly) servicing to maintain lubrication properties and identify any issues.

Get your watchmaker to take photos of the caseback (inside) and the movement and then you can find out a bit more about your watch.

Some explanation here.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/how-do-i-identify-my-vintage-omega-watch.93146/

lizajane and Vitezi like this.
  3. Vitezi Aug 24, 2019

Although your strap is likely aftermarket, Omega did get around to adding some fancy gold straps to their ladies watches in the 1970s. Here are a few pages from a 1974 catalog:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lizajane likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2019

When comparing to the gents ranges at the time, Omega produced vastly more variations of ladies styles.
    Maybe they thought there were a lot of guys who had to get back in the good books by giving their lady love a "forgive me" gift.
    ;)

lizajane and Vitezi like this.
  5. lizajane Aug 25, 2019

Thanks guys, encouraging replies. I'll look forward to updating you with any details when I receive the watch.