Forums Latest Members

Strange experience with Omega Service (Ladies Constellation)

1. rahilb Oct 30, 2020

Hi Folks, I wanted to get your opinion on this experience I had with the Omega shop in Stratford (London).

I took my mother's watch in for a battery replacement about a month ago; I requested a full service in addition to the battery replacement, and the shop assistant noticed there were a couple of deep scratches in the crystal. We spoke about it a bit and I said to fix that too (replace the crystal). The shop assistant said the estimate was £450 (for what I thought was a full service and a replacement crystal)... I paid half the cost and he said it will look like new when it comes back (great! my mother will be pleased).

I collected the watch today, and the crystal had not been replaced; I pointed out the scratches as I thought it was going to be replaced. We spoke about it and the guy said we did not say to replace the crystal; the price I paid was only for the service/refinishing and that if we had replaced the crystal that would have been at an additional cost of around £300 and I would have been called to confirm if they should proceed or not (I was never called). He said the crystal replacement would never have been included as the 'full service' only covers 'parts inside the watch'; if the whole movement was borked by a leaking battery for example it would have been replaced, but as the crystal is outside it was not considered for repair. The replaced parts (returned with the watch) are the crown, gasket and what appears to be the crystal retaining ring.

Does this sound right? I'm quite annoyed to be honest; if I had known the crystal would not be replaced, I would have gotten the watch serviced at an independent watchmaker. What's odd is that on all the paperwork the crystal scratches are noted explicitly (and everything else noted on the condition report was fixed).

Any opinions are appreciated as it's my first interaction with an Omega boutique/service.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2020

Can you tell me the model number of the watch? I want to see how expensive the crystal for it is...

Zapatta and DaveK like this.
  3. flw history nerd Oct 30, 2020

I recently got my SMPc (purchased new in 2014) back from its first full service by Omega. The crown, gaskets, and hands were replaced (standard), along with some internal parts including what I think was the mainspring. But no crystal replacement (which mine didn't seem to need anyway), although I was also under the initial impression that it was part of the standard service.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2020

Sapphire crystals are not part of a standard service - they will always be charged at an additional cost. Plexi crystals are included, and possibly some mineral glass, but not sapphire.

flw and rahilb like this.
  5. chaw6125 Oct 30, 2020

Crystal is only replaced on a Hesalite speedy. That seems a lot for a quartz service though. That OB has always been good to me but no servicing there.

rahilb likes this.
  6. rahilb Oct 30, 2020

Hi Archer, the model number is 79510011.

I think it's a sapphire crystal so that would make sense.

7. chaw6125 Oct 30, 2020

If it was a non precious metal then standard quartz service (non chrono) from Omega is £360

8. rahilb Oct 30, 2020

It's bi-metal so I guess that explains the additional cost :)

Thanks for the replies guys I think it's fine then... I'll get the crystal replaced next time and be sure to ask more explicitly I guess!

Yep all the staff are very friendly, the guy managing the service was very apologetic about the misunderstanding too.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2020

The crystal for this watch is about 130 pounds...so no where near the 300 you are being told.

Zapatta, DaveK and rahilb like this.
  10. chaw6125 Oct 30, 2020

That is quite a reasonable price.

For servicing I use Bond Street Watch Servicing (now in Luton). He has an Omega parts account so can order the crystal and fit it cheaper than an Omega Boutique. Although not sure if they will be so keen on part repairs - some watchmakers can be funny like that and it would probably void your Omega service warranty even though he is certified.

rahilb likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2020

Yes, I'm "funny like that" because watch repair is like a game of tag - the last person to touch the watch is "it" and anything that goes wrong with it falls in your lap to repair, even if it wasn't your fault. This is why many watchmakers don't do partial repairs.

Yes, having anyone but an authorized service center touch the watch would void the warranty,

rahilb and Alpha like this.
  12. UCZ_15 Oct 30, 2020

Wow, thats a lot of for a quartz service. Admittedly I don't know much about luxury quartz but didn't realise they had 'services' like automatics do. Shame about the crystal not being replaced. Hope you find another solution OP.

13. chaw6125 Oct 30, 2020

Thanks Archer. I thought that would be the case.

14. Jeeper Oct 30, 2020

A different Manufacturer, but Rolex repaired & serviced my DJ 16220, they refused to pressure test it without replacing the crystal (said it was chipped, it wasnt) & refused to polish it unless I purchased a new clasp as they said it was cracked (having read on this forum, I would forego polishing now), also told me my date wheel needed replacing & the crown.

I insisted on return of old parts & they absolutely refused to return the crystal & crown, they returned the clasp (which I still cant find the crack on) & they returned the date wheel which looks absolutely fine to me. Horrible customer service.

Flip side, I emailed Omega customer services this 26/10 as I had a problem with an old omega box 13.jpg

Omega customer service emailed me back within 48 hrs asking for photos, within hrs of receiving pics, offered for me to pick up box from Sloane St Boutique in London. However I p/x'd it on the 27th.

But at least the offer was there.

The difference in customer service is staggering, Rolex are so so arrogant.

Jeeper

speedypants and chaw6125 like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2020

The fact you got anything back from Rolex is rather surprising...

16. Jeeper Oct 30, 2020

Archer, I challenged them, but they would not move on the “damaged” crystal & crown. However every part of that watch belongs to me, I would think if someone where to properly spit their dummy out & had the resources, it would make an interesting court case.

Jeeper

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2020

While I agree with you completely in principle, Rolex will tell that parts are sold on an exchange basis only. Personally, I consider this theft/extortion of the watch owner's property, but of course Rolex disagrees.

That's just one reason why I would never send a watch to them for service, and I don't really support the brand (although I do own a vintage Rolex).

18. Jeeper Oct 30, 2020

To be fair, that’s probably in the t’s & c’s which we don’t read properly ( I will need to dig out the invoice & check ).

I love a lot of their sport pieces but can never get one & would not pay above retail, but I do find the ethos of the company to be odious.

I think sometimes when we buy & are faced with a choice of 2 that we love, the deciding factor can be value retention & Rolex sports have that. I only have a DJ 16220 but would have a deepsea deep blue at retail or a sky dweller or maybe an explorer 2, I have no desire of gmt or sub, but obviously would jump at one if offered purely from a financial perspective.

Jeeper

19. SkunkPrince Oct 30, 2020

They have moving parts that are lubricated, so why not? There's just fewer of them.

Any time you have a complaint of "my batteries don't last as long as they used to", it's because the watch needs servicing of some type.

20. MRC Oct 30, 2020

Well, unless your watch was designed to take mercury-based batteries and they are no longer legal. My Seamaster gets about one year from currently available batteries and that includes the one fitted by Omega Bienne when they serviced it four years ago.

P1010213m.JPG