Straight Writing Speedy with 220 misprint bezel?

Hi OF members.

I purchased a Straight Writing Speedy earlier in the year which has a 220 misprint bezel, a B2bis.
The Extract of Archives states a serial number of 31.619.XXX, date is June 1971.

My watch fits MWO’s range for SW Speedmasters of 31.00X.XXX - 32.857.XXX yet it falls outside the assumed range of 220 bezels which MWO quotes as being 30.588.XXX - 31.008.XXX.

The book also states they have not seen any SW’s with a B2bis bezel.

If I follow this line of thought then the original bezel was likely to have been replaced at some point in time.

I’m not sure...but I would welcome any thoughts as to whether OF members consider the B2bis bezel could be original to the watch?

thanks in advance, here’s a few photos of the watch...

40D2A903-8CEB-4E58-BCED-24469112B11F.jpeg 734BD41B-399B-4DFB-9302-1EFEBB05C316.jpeg

I think these were also used as service replacement bezels, as my one previous owner, ST145.012 from June 68 also has a 220 bezel on, so Omega may have had some ‘kicking around’ when yours went in for or a service, or somebody has replaced it at some point because they liked the idea of a different less common / error bezel. Just a guess, the experts will be along shortly to comment......

By any chance did you buy this watch from Wannabuyawatch?

Just curious, have you had any interaction with WannaBuyaWatch and Ken Jacobs in the Los Angeles area?

This thread is a good resource:
https://omegaforums.net/threads/bezel-misprint.23499/

This is the main conclusion from @@speedy4ever(Author of MWO)

More important is to consider the production date. Of the several hundreds 145.022-69 we have in our database, the relationship between production date and bezel type is rather clear:
- DON (type B1) until September/October 1970
- 220 (type B2bis) from end August 1970 to end December 1970 (possibly until January 1971 with new data we had, still to be verified)
- type B2 from November 1970

So with that in mind I would conclude that the bezel has been replaced at some point.

Just curious, have you had any interaction with WannaBuyaWatch and Ken Jacobs in the Los Angeles area?
No, I actually bought it from an OF member here in the UK.

No, I bought it from the UK

I believe I contacted them on this watch. I knew enough to ask for a clear scan of the movement showing the serial number. No scan!

I believe I contacted them on this watch. I knew enough to ask for a clear scan of the movement showing the serial number. No scan!
MikiJ, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. I don't know if you spoke to Ken Jacobs, the owner, or not, but I have known Ken for over 30 years. I haven't bought a lot of watches from Wannabuyawatch, but I have bought a couple and they have always tried to be fair and honest in my opinion. If there were any issues with the watch, mechanical wise, they have always taken care of it within the first year of purchase. I have also had a few vintage Rolex pieces serviced by them and have had no issues. Ken is more of a vintage Rolex expert then Omega, but, I know he is learning more about the Omega models. As with any dealer, he is there to make a living and his prices reflect that goal. If you are ever in LA, visit the shop and ask for Ken...

Once again, I'm sorry that a scan was not sent. But, as in every transaction... do your due diligence.

I have no personal issues with Wannabuyawatch and certainly not with it's owner. They've been in business for quite while and that alone speaks volumes as to their character. At the end of the day, it's a watch, not life and death, thank God

Anyway, as I said... my watch has nothing to do with Wannabuyawatch 😀