Forums Latest Members

Stories from the Front Lines (✨COVID-19 Healthcare Workers only: posting rules imposed)

1. Walrus Dec 25, 2020

Ya and believe me JW that is a very big part of it. Twice I’ve had to leave work when my allergies were acting up, be it mildly, but even a runny nose these days sends everyone in a panic. I didn’t leave and get tested so much for myself but if I stop by and see a diabetic schizophrenic with diabetes and other illnesses things could get very bad very quickly. In general I get the impression that most people doing similar work are like me. We just kind of accept a certain amount of risk but our main concern is not making others sick.

Yak1 and janice&fred like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 25, 2020

So, have they told you that you won't be infected with Covid at all after you are fully immunized? I was under the impression that although it has proven to limit the disease severity, that it hadn't yet been proven to prevent infections, so that even vaccinated people could pass it on, but maybe that has changed.

3. sah Dec 25, 2020

I will as the surgical mask will still hopefully prevent my spreading Covid if I am asymptomatically shedding it.

Yak1 and M'Bob like this.
  4. sah Dec 25, 2020

You are correct. We still do not know all details of what happens when we get exposed after vaccination.

vitriol likes this.
  5. Walrus Dec 25, 2020

That was kind of a funny, but not really funny, discussion I had with a few higher ups who were signing up for the shots. Although no one is refusing it no one is in a rush to be first so I volunteered. They just want me to tell them what the process is like. Anyway once we were all signed up we started discussing any changes that can be made after we get the shot. Of course it amounted to nothing. For the immediate future we will be taking the same precautions. It will be like I didn’t even get the vaccine until we start developing new policies. I have heard the “maybe you can still spread it even if your vaccinated.” Not sure what that means, is it just like you can have the virus on you? In your nose? Spread it by contamination or can you have it in your system and spread it like “normal”. Kind of strange, I’ll ask who ever shoots me up a few questions but they will probably refer me to someone else.

6. sah Dec 25, 2020

We just do not know these details right now.

Walrus and Yak1 like this.
  7. Yak1 Dec 25, 2020

That’s still not known. It does looks like it prevents infection and makes severe infection rare. But what occurs to asymptomatic spreading after vaccination is still not known. Some evidence from the moderna study indicates it may prevent virus spread. So, even after being fully vaccinated I will still be wearing a mask and socially distancing as well as avoiding indoor spaces for long periods of time with folks outside of my household.

Archer likes this.
  8. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Dec 25, 2020

Generally, vaccines administered via the disease's mucosal route of transmission (eg oral or intranasal route) tend to be more effective at averting spreading illness. For example, the oral polio vaccine tends to be more effective in reducing transmission of polio than the intramuscular version as polio is spread via fecal-oral transmission. The current Covid vaccines are administered via intramuscular injection rather than via the virus's route of transmission-the respiratory tract. This may potentially help explain why it's not clear if the current intramuscular Covid vaccines are effective in transmission prevention. Time will tell.

kkt, sah and Yak1 like this.
  9. Toad Cottonheadedninnymuggins Dec 26, 2020

Agree that we don’t know how the vaccine will prevent us from transmitting the virus to others. I’m still required to don full PPE / n95 when entering their rooms and when we do surgery on these patients. If given a choice I’d choose to anyway as there is so much still not known about this virus and disease. These precautions will be a necessity, I’m afraid, for the foreseeable future...

watch3s likes this.
  10. Yak1 Dec 26, 2020

Agreed. The virus is odd, and my concern (besides spreading it to others) was the sheer number of vascular and neurological issues that my colleagues and friends who have been infected have had.

11. Walrus Dec 26, 2020

Interesting. I know they do have a nasal flu vaccine but the majority is IM. Do we have the same issues with the flu vaccine and it’s just never discussed?

12. watch3s Dec 30, 2020

The hospital policy is that even if you have been vaccinated do not think you are 100% immune, still take every precaution with patient care.

13. MrHyde20 Dec 30, 2020

I was just thinking about this, I am a PA in a surgical subspecialty in the Bronx, and our Health systems current guidelines are for a surgical mask, and eye protection for all non-Covid patient interactions, and a surgical mask at all times in the hospital. For high risk procedures (intubations, nebulizers, patients on CPAP) even if they tested negative, you must wear full PPE including an N95 for all patient interactions just as if they were Covid positive.

I have been wearing eye protection and an N95 (which I reuse) covered by a surgical mask any time I am in contact with staff or patients, but was debating if I would step down to the current guidelines after my second vaccination, and just wear a surgical mask when with other staff, or when interacting with my patients who all tested negative.

While our system has strongly encouraged, and pushed all staff to get the flu vaccine, it is not mandatory, and there has not been as big a push for this vaccine which has not been given to every provider or staff member yet.

Edited Dec 30, 2020
  14. Wryfox Dec 31, 2020

Dear Mods and Fellow OF colleagues, I want to share a video produced by the US Air Force on their efforts to help control COVID at the start of this pandemic(New York City specifically in this video). I am not a healthcare provider, but my wife IS, and I'm sharing this so all can see the viewpoint from the side of the caretaker and the immense empathy and effort it has taken on that side of things. I am immensely proud of my wife (Mrs Wryfox) and her accomplishments and teams she has led. A newly minted Colonel after only 16yrs is an achievement on its own, but a female as well, and as a reservist, this level of impact is unobtanium. It is because she cares so deeply for her fellow man it is a status I can can only look at from afar and honor her and the fallen she has cared for with the utmost respect. She is now the Chief of Nursing Readiness for the Air Force, a position responsible for ensuring all nurses are prepared and ready for a similar effort in the future. Its a HUGE job. Nobody really knows how to do this, it is all new. But she has no fear, and no doubt will save many more lives in the future due to her efforts. I can only offer the sincerest condolences for those affected by this terrible virus, but rest assured they are people working very hard to save as many lives as possible with God's will.

If you have ever wondered who is behind those masks, this is who they are in their best form.

warrydog, watch3s, Walrus and 2 others like this.
  15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 31, 2020

That is amazing. I have no other words.
    gatorcpa

warrydog and Wryfox like this.