Forums Latest Members

Still fighting those impulses

1. tikkathree Apr 26, 2018

It's silly I know. I keep saying it's only withdrawal symptoms whilst my 2265 SMP300 blue wave quartz is away for a service.

I'm still getting this itch, substantially for a black faced diver. Not because I dive you understand but just to fill a "yeah, get it wet in the rain/in the shower/doing hunter stuff out in the woods" need of the perceived kind. Okay, okay a desire then and not a need and not a beater exactly but something able to take it on.

The Marine Master got really itchy but I think you guys have helped put me off. I have to admit that whatever I've done with Seiko SKX/Tuna/other sea creatures original or modded, I've been underwhelmed by their presence on the wrist.

So I'm trying to avoid the sister SMP300 in black wave dial and quartz but all these other temptations keep giving me a flash and, man, it's hard to resist the various temptations of

Seamaster Planet Ocean [​IMG]

Seamaster Apnea
    [​IMG]

and, for good measure, and I know it's not a diver as such...
    Aqua Terra Teak Dial
    [​IMG]

I should probably just hide from paypal/ebay and credit cards for a while but you'll probably agree, it's not easy......

nurseford25 and Wivac like this.
  2. Wivac Terribly special Apr 26, 2018

I can absolutely not help as I too have a massive itch,particularly for a PO, which I shall be vigorously scratching later in the year, if I can find the right one.I'm looking at all sorts of random watches in the mean time to distract me, so i can completely understand if something 'happens'

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 26, 2018

I have a 42mm P.O. 2201.50 and a 2265. They wear pretty differently. The PO feels more substantial and dare I say built a little more solidly. If you have the wrists for it maybe a 45.5mm PO might offer something with a very different feel. I havent so am very happy with the 42mm PO. Be aware the SMP design is very slim for a diver. Most others are fatter. The 2500 movement PO is about 2mm thicker (the 8500 based one fatter still). The Apnea is about 4mm fatter. They wear like a boat anchor. Try before you buy, the Apnea isn’t for everyone. The AT design feels pretty slick on the wrist.

Wivac likes this.
  4. tikkathree Apr 26, 2018

Oh i deliberately didn't mention "random others" of which there are several, not all of which have a black dial. Maybe they're a different itch hahahaha

Wivac likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 26, 2018

Be aware that the PO dial isn’t jet black. More a matt Black which can look dark grey in a certain light.

tikkathree likes this.
  6. tikkathree Apr 26, 2018

SMP is strikingly slim I agree which is partly why I like it so much.

I have a white teak AT 8500 and that's certainly a thickness I have no problem with. Mindful of the different WR ratings between that and the PO I'm not surprised, or troubled, by the deeper case.

If I told you that I'm a big fan of 7750 movement watches that should give you a feel for what I regard as normal case depth.

Apnea: I don't know that I have a need for the countdown windows but whenever would justification enter this discussion? :)

7. Wivac Terribly special Apr 26, 2018

I'm looking specifically at the 2201.50, have tried it on, like it. 45 is too big for me I feel, but strangely I think the proportions are much nicer, thoughts?
    Not tried the 8500 yet, will do . Also heading to an AD for a chat fairly soon to get some hands on time with the current crop as a comparison .

Would jump all over a LM if one came up here over the summer
    *hint*

8. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 26, 2018

Proportions of 45.5 are better but if it looks and feels too big for your wrist there is no advantage. I can’t get on with any 8500 movement Omega. The depth is too much. I am trying a 8806 movement trilogy SM300 at the weekend to see if that passes the thickness test but I gave up on the Omega fat stuff years ago. That was a dead end if you ask me. The LM sure looks nice.

Wivac likes this.
  9. Wivac Terribly special Apr 26, 2018

I have an itch with the PO. Something about the tool watch coupled with a classy look and feel ( IMHO obviously, am sure some absolutely hate it.)The thickness is a deal killed so will just have to get myself round the AD's in London and the pubs nearest them.

The Trilogy SM300 is very very nice, maybe something I will swing back round to as don't have a classic SM in the collection.

tikkathree likes this.