Stick Shift & Mechanical Watches

Posts
265
Likes
434
Old school. Double de-clutching down on a non-synchro box on a steep hill in traffic can be a challenge… on the other hand, the manual accelerator was a brave stab at early cruise control, and no problem searching for the keys - she starts fine with a screwdriver.

Surely its a hand throttle for keeping the revs up when running equipment from the PTOs?
 
Posts
265
Likes
434
Do all of you North America types realise that elsewhere in the world the manual gearbox is ubiquitous?
I'd be prepared to bet that at least 80% of europeans learned to drive a manual and, until perhaps 6-7 years ago, manual cars probably outsold autos 2-1.
Dare I say it, the manual gearbox as the generic is essentialy the quartz watch....


The reason this is changing comes to down to emmissions based taxation.
Whilst the auto has more internal friction (and is less efficient) the testing specifies gear ratio and road speed for manuals but allows the auto to pick its ratio at the specified road speeds so the autos perform better in standardised testing. Stacking an extra ratio or 3 in there also helps.
EVs, PHEVs and radar cruise control are also reducing the number of manuals sold.
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,671
Do all of you North America types realise that elsewhere in the world the manual gearbox is ubiquitous?
I'd be prepared to bet that at least 80% of europeans learned to drive a manual and, until perhaps 6-7 years ago, manual cars probably outsold autos 2-1.
Dare I say it, the manual gearbox as the generic is essentialy the quartz watch....


The reason this is changing comes to down to emmissions based taxation.
Whilst the auto has more internal friction (and is less efficient) the testing specifies gear ratio and road speed for manuals but allows the auto to pick its ratio at the specified road speeds so the autos perform better in standardised testing. Stacking an extra ratio or 3 in there also helps.
EVs, PHEVs and radar cruise control are also reducing the number of manuals sold.
Automatics with 8 (and now 10's) speeds will always be more economical then a 6 speed manual now... CVT's are way beyond both.

Europe has always looked at automatics as being premium and as such priced them higher as well, whereas American MFG's made them standard and effectively killed off manuals in the US, along with traditionally cheap gas making the efficiency difference minor. The odd thing BMW has a tradition of offering more manual versions in the US then Europe. For example the e60M5 was an SMG everywhere, but had the option of a manual in the US in later production. Porsche also has manual only models for the US market.

Differernt markets with different requirements.
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
Surely its a hand throttle for keeping the revs up when running equipment from the PTOs?


Reminds me of this scene in Predator.
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
I only took it for an errand. It was parked in front of the Bimmer.

Took the Bimmer for a rip… almost made it to your place.




And my “Archer-serviced-flightmaster?” It’s perfect!
 
Posts
6,467
Likes
21,985

Wow! FOGHAT, and 'remastered.' Seems like overkill. 😁

Great watch though
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
Year 30 with the old BMW. Just over 70 000 kms.

Had to pull over to avoid following a shit spreader on a country road.

This gave me a chance to take a few pics. Gruen and was wearing my DaveK ball cap.

Dave, I need a new cap. Come back to OF!

 
Posts
2,802
Likes
3,730
I just returned to the manual transmission fold after a five-year hiatus of driving only automatic transmission cars:


It’s a 2026 VW Jetta GLI, the last manual car VW will sell in the US. It does have push to start instead of a key, but no auto start-stop (thank God!), minimal nanny features, and still has the AC controls separate from the infotainment screen.

I tried the dual-clutch version and found that for street driving (even in manual sport mode), the computer had pre-selected the higher gear and so shifts to a lower gear (say from 4th to 3rd) were pretty slow. So, I went with the manual because I want to use the gears I want! The car does have a “feature” where it recommends the shift on the screen and I find them rediculous - cruising along in 4th at 45 mph on a city street at just over 2000 rpm, ready to downshift into 3rd if I need to accelerate and it’s telling me to shift to 6th!

I think not, unless I’m on the highway!

One funny thing, when I emailed the dealership that I wanted to drive this car with the manual, they texted me twice to verify that I knew it was a manual and that I could drive a manual! The salesman I worked with (about 30) had to get one of the mechanics to move the car up for me because he didn’t know how to drive stick!
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
I just returned to the manual transmission fold after a five-year hiatus of driving only automatic transmission cars:


It’s a 2026 VW Jetta GLI, the last manual car VW will sell in the US. It does have push to start instead of a key, but no auto start-stop (thank God!), minimal nanny features, and still has the AC controls separate from the infotainment screen.

I tried the dual-clutch version and found that for street driving (even in manual sport mode), the computer had pre-selected the higher gear and so shifts to a lower gear (say from 4th to 3rd) were pretty slow. So, I went with the manual because I want to use the gears I want! The car does have a “feature” where it recommends the shift on the screen and I find them rediculous - cruising along in 4th at 45 mph on a city street at just over 2000 rpm, ready to downshift into 3rd if I need to accelerate and it’s telling me to shift to 6th!

I think not, unless I’m on the highway!

One funny thing, when I emailed the dealership that I wanted to drive this car with the manual, they texted me twice to verify that I knew it was a manual and that I could drive a manual! The salesman I worked with (about 30) had to get one of the mechanics to move the car up for me because he didn’t know how to drive stick!

Great car! A keeper and with VW scaling back, yours will undoubtably be known as the last of the manual VW in North America.
 
Posts
2,378
Likes
11,243
I just returned to the manual transmission fold after a five-year hiatus of driving only automatic transmission cars:


It’s a 2026 VW Jetta GLI, the last manual car VW will sell in the US. It does have push to start instead of a key, but no auto start-stop (thank God!), minimal nanny features, and still has the AC controls separate from the infotainment screen.

I tried the dual-clutch version and found that for street driving (even in manual sport mode), the computer had pre-selected the higher gear and so shifts to a lower gear (say from 4th to 3rd) were pretty slow. So, I went with the manual because I want to use the gears I want! The car does have a “feature” where it recommends the shift on the screen and I find them rediculous - cruising along in 4th at 45 mph on a city street at just over 2000 rpm, ready to downshift into 3rd if I need to accelerate and it’s telling me to shift to 6th!

I think not, unless I’m on the highway!

One funny thing, when I emailed the dealership that I wanted to drive this car with the manual, they texted me twice to verify that I knew it was a manual and that I could drive a manual! The salesman I worked with (about 30) had to get one of the mechanics to move the car up for me because he didn’t know how to drive stick!
That was the case when I got the Elantra N in January. Leftover 2025 with only 30 miles because nobody could drive it. But it was just a placeholder until I could get another Mercedes wagon to replace the 2002 that got totaled.
 
Posts
3,446
Likes
35,197
That was the case when I got the Elantra N in January. Leftover 2025 with only 30 miles because nobody could drive it. But it was just a placeholder until I could get another Mercedes wagon to replace the 2002 that got totaled.
Wagons are great. We owned a 2003 BMW 325 XiT from 2003 until about 2020. I miss it. It of course had a manual transmission. Photos of the Mercedes?



Photo from the internet.
 
Posts
2,378
Likes
11,243
Wagons are great. We owned a 2003 BMW 325 XiT from 2003 until about 2020. I miss it. It of course had a manual transmission. Photos of the Mercedes?



Photo from the internet.
2012 E350 4matic. The old 2002 had 268000 miles on it when it got hit. One of our technicians bought it from me and got it back on the road.
Edited:
 
Posts
15
Likes
33
I'm a manual transmission die hard. Only vehicles I've owned or will own are manuals. I took my drivers test in a manual and 15 years later they're all I've owned. I've driven automatics, and I guess now my wife's Jeep is an automatic, but I get too much enjoyment out of shifting my own gears I dont think I'd ever convert. My first car was a Jetta 1.8T, then a Ford f150, then a Subaru brz, then a Subaru forester, then a Honda crv, and now a Honda civic si. The civic has got to hold on for a few more years but I'm already planning my next car being a 6 speed Tacoma. The brz was a great car, and I do miss the turbo noises. Having kids changed what I needed in a vehicle though. The civic has enough room for kids, and somewhat scratched the fun car itch, but some more cargo space sounds nice. And I do miss driving a big pickup with a stick shift.
 
Posts
4,876
Likes
24,818
Evo wheels on the Civic? I like it!
I'm hoping VW will change their mind on putting a M/T back in the Golf lineup.
Porsche has been rolling back on that...
 
Posts
2,802
Likes
3,730
Evo wheels on the Civic? I like it!
I'm hoping VW will change their mind on putting a M/T back in the Golf lineup.
Porsche has been rolling back on that...
I doubt it. When I purchased my manual GLI a month ago, they had 3 others on the lot and two had been there for months. I was chatting with the salesman about how popular they were and he told me not at all - I was the first person in nearly half a year who had come in requesting the manual specifically. They couldn’t keep the dual-clutch models (both GLI and GTI) in stock - many sold before they got to the lot.
 
Posts
4,876
Likes
24,818
I doubt it. When I purchased my manual GLI a month ago, they had 3 others on the lot and two had been there for months. I was chatting with the salesman about how popular they were and he told me not at all - I was the first person in nearly half a year who had come in requesting the manual specifically. They couldn’t keep the dual-clutch models (both GLI and GTI) in stock - many sold before they got to the lot.
Hmm disappointing data point. But can't argue with them.
I could see it being more difficult to sell a manual VW than a manual Porsche too I guess.
Could also be demographics.
And thinking back, I do believe my R was sitting at the dealer for a bit. It was a later build 2024, but I didn't buy it till the end of January '25.
 
Posts
963
Likes
5,637


I miss it when my car was this type of manual.

Now it’s a standard 6speed.

RIP Boris (SMG)

Well I started this thread at the start (like another OF car thread) and of course saw this. Mine was a 2002 Topaz Blue M3 SMG. The only “mod” I made was to put an OEM strut bar on it that I think they started using with the 2003 model year.

Gone but not forgotten.