Forums Latest Members

Starting a conversation about Omega 321 vs New/Old Rolex Daytona any opinions at all would be great!

1. Pasbru Nov 24, 2013

Just wanted to hear from forum members about trying to compare a Omega 321 to a New/Old Daytona, just whatever you feel about overall movement, quality, history, anything to make an argument comparing the two. Just want to hear anyone's opinion on this subject, was debating with a friend when he asked me why feel an Omega 321 is a special watch and why...and although there are opinions I would love to hear yours. Thanks Guys! Enjoy!!

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 25, 2013

Oh this is going to be fun

3. Reintitan Nov 25, 2013

There are fans of each and there are fans of both. Whatever the opinion one need not have to hate one to like the other and vice versa. I prefer the Speedmaster based on its looks, durability, and history.

Vintage Daytona prices have gone through the roof (new records achieved as evidenced by the latest Christie's "Lesson One" auction); however price does not make them more desireable as a collector for me. As an investment to sell for profit definitely the vintage Daytonas beat out vintage Speedmasters, but for the pure joy of the watch I'll take a ST 105.003 or CK 2998-x any day.

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 25, 2013

I actually own a Cal 321 Ref 145.012-67, a 105.002-62 and a Rolex 116520 Daytona, and I wouldn't choose, you'd have to have both. Especially the modern Daytona, its an extremely technical movement, brilliant for daily wear, extremely comfortable, and rugged. The Cal 321 is a classic, the fact that its Lemania 2310 base is in Pateks, VC's, and Breguets speaks volumes of its design. They're different categories of watch really. The vintage Daytona is another thing entirely, would I take a PN 6263 over a 2915? No, but there are some interesting pieces in there.

5. ulackfocus Nov 25, 2013

Bingo. We want fans of watches in general, not blind loyalists for one brand.

And if you really want to know, I had a two tone Daytona with the grey dial on last year and it really suited me. Nothing against Speedmaster, but I've never found one that fits me right. The closest was the Valjoux 7750 with the red, white & black dial. If not for already owning a 7750 inside my Breitling I might have bought that one.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 26, 2013

Most modern Rolex watches don't do a lot for me personally, and I prefer vintage - before everything got blingy, and they started writing a small novel on the dial.

The modern the Daytona - I don't really find anything appealing about the watch. Vintage Daytonas are nicer, but still not all that much of a draw to me.

I like Speedmasters, and I own one, but generally speaking I am not really a "chronograph guy" when it comes to my own personal collection.

Cheers, Al