Forums Latest Members

Star of Constellation dial not horizontally aligned - repair or fake?

1. Sturmvogel Jul 26, 2017

Hello,

I noticed on a dial of a Constellation that the star is not properly horizontally aligned. To me the dial looks original and I have seen this also on other Constellation dials that I would consider original. Was there a common quality issue with the alignment of the stars, or is this the result of a repair or is this even a fake dial? Is this a commonly known feature?

Thanks,
    Roger

Connie.PNG
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 26, 2017

Known as a wonky star
    All too common on perfectly correct dials.
    However, it can be a sign of a redial and/or degradation.

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 26, 2017

Can we see the whole dial.

4. Sturmvogel Jul 26, 2017

Thanks. It's good to know that it doesn't automatically indicate a redial. Since the rest of the dial looks fine to my eyes, I was a bit confused. Was that due to bad positioning when the dial was produced or did the star move over time due to glue deterioration?

Connie2.PNG
  5. Ravineman Jul 26, 2017

I am no expert, but have seen many many Omega dials and you are right to be suspect. Looks like a poor redial to me. The applied logo does not look genuine ( might just be the photo ) and the writing on the dial is not centered. I am not the most informed member here so I will look forward to their comments too.

BlackTalon likes this.
  6. Sturmvogel Jul 26, 2017

Hmmm, to me it looks fine comparing to other references (Desmond's blog) I don't see an obvious reason to believe this is a redial except for the star. But then again, I have seen genuine dials with a star that is slightly misaligned.

7. Noddyman Jul 26, 2017

What reference is it? Like you I am struggling to make a call. If it is a redial it's certainly not a poor one.
    'Swiss made' looks a little different to mine but that could be just be down to the model.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 26, 2017

Whole watch and case back medallion would help, not just top and bottom of dial without edges at 3 and 9. Sometimes the minute markers of the whole dial can help.

9. Sturmvogel Jul 26, 2017

I think it is a 168.005, but could have been one of earlier ones with 5 digit reference numbers. The case is in pretty good condition and the crown is also still the original one.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 26, 2017

Impossible to tell for sure, due to distortion from and scratches on the crystal and also the angle of photograph.

The fonts look correct and the minutes register is nice and even. It is possible that the star fell off at one time and just wasn't repaired properly. I would lean towards original.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  11. Ravineman Jul 26, 2017

Overruled by gatorcpa and a bit surprised he said its impossible to tell if its a rediail. I looked at the minutes register after his post ( because I want to learn more ) and it appears to my eye to be very uneven. Maybe its a good dial and a lousy picture ? .... its hard to get a good clear picture of a small object unless you are a good photographer using a good camera

Sturmvogel likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 26, 2017

...And there is no crystal.

I didn't say impossible to tell. I said impossible to tell for sure. There is a difference.

You need a loupe and the knowledge to know what to look for.
    gatorcpa

STANDY and Ravineman like this.