Forums Latest Members

Star Hallmarks on Silver Watchcase?

1. jimmyd13 Nov 18, 2018

A chap sold me a handful of watches today. I'm confused by a pocket watch and wondered if anyone can help? Here's the stamps:
    IMG_20181118_1730533.jpg
    There's a 12 pointed star in a shield; an 8 pointed star in a circle; a cresent (or perhaps a letter C if it's upside down?); and, maker's mark looks like a bother ALD. The movement is a base Waltham, dated to 1883. Now, ALD I would say is Dennison, even though there's no listing for the Gothic font but I'm thrown by the star marks. Are they US import marks?

Any help appreciated.

2. jimmyd13 Nov 19, 2018

Give this a bump for those who don't read over the weekend ... somewhere in the back of my mind I'm sure I know this mark but I can't have seen it more than once.

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 19, 2018

jimmyd13 likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Nov 19, 2018

'I'm pretty certain the maker's mark is for Dennison but it's the control marks that have me confused. They're not English marks (at least not ones I'm familiar with) so my real question, I suppose, is are they American marks? That might make sense if the case was made by Dennison in the US. .. It's just it would be too early for the movement.

It's not a biggie ... this will probably be put into auction for someone else to play with.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 19, 2018

"A mark consisting of three symbols, a radiant sun, crescent moon and a star, was stamped on many Dennison cases, including cases made of nickel. This mark does not appear to indicate any specific type or grade of material, it seems to have been simply a trademark."

jimmyd13 likes this.