Forums Latest Members
  1. devnull Dec 10, 2015

There were several brands back in the day that were happy to advertise on the writing on the back "Stainless steel back", which means that the rest of the watch ain't stainless steel. Was this a cheap attempt to mislead people into thinking that the watch was all stainless?

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 10, 2015

No. They were actually boasting about the back being steel, as opposed to chrome (typically). It was a point of pride (i.e. "We may be cheap, but not that cheap!")

Obviously that seems a bit silly now, given how clear it is that steel was/is a superior metal for watch cases. And of course the better brands used full steel cases on most, if not all of their watches.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 10, 2015

When I was a kid my parents got me this Rip Curl 200M "Surf" tide watch, really cool thing at the time designed to be totally impact and water resistant. Caseback said stainless steel back and definitely was, but it was secured by 4 tiny screws which were most certainly not stainless and completely rusted away until the back leaked. They were so embarrassed by it that they gave me a credit for a watch twice the price after returning it. Was like $400 at the time too so they really could have put a bit of effort in...