Forums Latest Members
  1. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Apr 30, 2017

I noticed that quite a few 145.012's have flaking lume. My 145.012 too has some lume loss on the 3 marker and some very minor loss on some others. I would think it'd be a shame if more lume would flake off.

Would stabilising be a good idea and how is it done (applying a clear binder)? How effective is it? Will it be noticable, or look more or less the same?

I guess that the watch is no longer untouched and value will drop a bit, but that's no concern to me, a major different look would be a pity though.

IMG_5238.JPG IMG_5260.JPG

2. watchlovr Apr 30, 2017

I think it is a potentially risk thing to do.
    On the back of the hands is one thing, a dial's lume? Too risky imo.

Edited Apr 30, 2017
  3. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Apr 30, 2017

Hmmm... I don't like risks. Love this dial.

4. Mr.H Apr 30, 2017

Here's a dial where I had the lume stabilized .... the trick is to apply very carefully with a tool (toothpick with frayed ends) that holds the surface tension of the stabilizing fluid (thin matte acrylic varnish) .. its not overrun on the plots, they were just not super neat to begin with.

upload_2017-4-30_17-50-47.png

The dials were NOS (1960's) the lume very dry & fragile .. I lost a few plots on other dials before turning to the stabilizing, seemed to work well with no lume loss since & should protect the lume from moisture, only problem is a slight sheen look to the plots.
    I might not have the all-over process done to a vintage speedie dial but think used in moderation to bind flaking/cracked lume to the dials backing markers is a good option over having to open the watch every-time a bit of lume flakes off

Regards
    Mr.H

BartH likes this.