Forums Latest Members

"Spring tubes" - not bars... what are they really called?

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 10, 2016

Hello all,

Sorry if that's a dumb Q, but I've looked on the forum and on the internet, and I can't find the answer, I'm sure it's there somewhere. And certainly someone here knows :)

I want to replace the spring bars of this old piece of mine - except the spring bars are not of the "male" kind, with the bar nipple getting into a hole in the lug - but rather of the "female" kind, with fixed nipples on the lugs and spring bars ends shaped like tubes. I unfortunately don't have the possibility to upload a pic at the moment, but this was a rather common technology in the first half of last century, I believe.

My question is : what are these "spring tubes" named, so I can purchase a few spares, as the current ones are, well, 80 years old or so, and I don't really trust them...

As you can imagine, doing a product search on the internet without knowing the product's name can be a bit of a challenge...

Thank you,
    Paul

[​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 10, 2016

Female spring bars. Look them up on eBay. There's a seller in the Netherlands that usually has an assortment of sizes for sale.
    gatorcpa

Lonestar likes this.
  3. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 10, 2016

Thank you - A quick search for female spring bars on ebay.com and ebay.nl returned nothing, but I will try again in a couple of days.

Thanks!

4. NT931 Jun 10, 2016

Hey Paul
    This might be the one Gator mentioned in the Netherlands
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lot-12-brass-female-watch-spring-bars-7-22-mm-/360755783147?rmvSB=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Alternatively this Aussie seller is pretty good - I've bought lots of male springbars from him, and he's got a good range
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEMALE-SPRI...m-OLD-STYLE-75mmHOLE-/221261826722?rmvSB=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Hope this helps.

Edited Jun 10, 2016
    Tritium, Lonestar and gatorcpa like this.
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jun 10, 2016

Thanks Gentlemen - I really appreciate it. As usual, feels good to be on OF :)

Order in process!
    Best,
    Paul

NT931 and Tritium like this.
  6. aap Sep 24, 2016

Hey guys, what's the best way to install a strap on watches like this? I have one that has an 18mm lug and tried replacing the strap but found it so hard with straps that were exactly 18mm. The only one I could put on it was a 17mm strap as it was easier to squeeze the strap into the lugs' pegs / pins. Thanks!