Spring bar for 1162/173 clasp?

Howdy folks,

I confess I virtually vanished from this place not long after I acquired my humble beater/grail Speedmaster MkII a couple of years ago (or maybe that was 100 years ago, now that time has become meaningless?)

I’m happy/sad to report that the aforementioned Speedy really snuffed out my WAS. The only piece I’ve acquired since was a red-faced G-Shock 5600... mainly for bathtub duty. 😉 Anyway, I still love this old Omega in all its frumpy glory, and while I still occasionally entertain the idea of selling off my humble collection to buy something fancy and boring like an Explorer or whatever, I’m not motivated enough to follow through with that just yet.

ANYWAY: the spring bar on the clasp of my bracelet is getting pretty hinky, and I was hoping to source a replacement but I’m not sure whether I need an OEM part (due to a fussy fit) or can just grab a cheap $2 thing off eBay, as is my wont. (On principle I’d prefer not to drop $20 on a single spring bar if I can help it!)

Thanks in advance for your advice, my good people.

I decided to take a HUGE two dollar gamble on a 16mm spring bar from eBay. If it doesn’t fit my clasp, I’ll be dividing the cost between all active members and sending out individual bills as a gesture of solidarity with the community. 😉

I've been doing similar, in so far as I got a box of 100 assorted sitting bars as part of a watch repair kit.

I've bought old Omega clasps and selectively assembled to use different bracelets but still have that logo looking up at me when I turn my wrist.

Fit is more to do with the wear and tear on the parts, as opposed to being sizes in the spring bars. The 173 end links have a good bit if room within, so a larger diameter body in the spring bars is good too take up some slack.

Lovely Mark II.

I can empathise with your experience. I don't want to wear other watches, I've just been experimenting with different bracelets and strap options for my Mark II.

I decided to take a HUGE two dollar gamble on a 16mm spring bar from eBay. If it doesn’t fit my clasp, I’ll be dividing the cost between all active members and sending out individual bills as a gesture of solidarity with the community. 😉

Just note that clasp spring bars are often not the same as lug spring bars. Clasp bars tend to have shorter tips, because they are only engaging with the relatively thin wall thickness of the clasp. If this was a "regular" spring bar, and not one specifically for clasps, you may find that the tips protrude to the outside of the clasp, and may catch on things.

In any case, the spring bar called up for this clasp is 068ST9968.

Cheers, Al

I've been doing similar, in so far as I got a box of 100 assorted sitting bars as part of a watch repair kit.

I've bought old Omega clasps and selectively assembled to use different bracelets but still have that logo looking up at me when I turn my wrist.

Fit is more to do with the wear and tear on the parts, as opposed to being sizes in the spring bars. The 173 end links have a good bit if room within, so a larger diameter body in the spring bars is good too take up some slack.

Lovely Mark II.

I can empathise with your experience. I don't want to wear other watches, I've just been experimenting with different bracelets and strap options for my Mark II.
Cheers, Ascalon. I’m guardedly optimistic that spring bar will do the trick...

This Mark II was also a gargantuan bargain so I think my lack of desire for other watches is also a function of the “quit while you’re ahead” philosophy. 😉

Just note that clasp spring bars are often not the same as lug spring bars. Clasp bars tend to have shorter tips, because they are only engaging with the relatively thin wall thickness of the clasp. If this was a "regular" spring bar, and not one specifically for clasps, you may find that the tips protrude to the outside of the clasp, and may catch on things.

In any case, the spring bar called up for this clasp is 068ST9968.

Cheers, Al
Ah, thanks for the part number, Archie! I will default to that if my jerry-rigged lug spring bar solution fails. Oddly enough, the ends of the current spring bar have always stuck out of the sides of the clasp a bit, so it’s possible the part was already a makeshift replacement:

The issue with mine is that the little ridged collar on one end has been worn down, so the pin slips too far through the hole in the clasp now. In any case, it’s not surprising that this part would get ground down over time given the substantial weight of the watch and rather aggressive taper of the bracelet. (Still surprisingly comfy on the wrist, despite all that.)

Ah, thanks for the part number, Archie! I will default to that if my jerry-rigged lug spring bar solution fails. Oddly enough, the ends of the current spring bar have always stuck out of the sides of the clasp a bit, so it’s possible the part was already a makeshift replacement
That's because you have the wrong spring bar. The one you need is a tube with small ends poking out.

That's because you have the wrong spring bar. The one you need is a tube with small ends poking out.
Yeah, I suspected as much. Hey, it worked fine... until it didn’t. 😁

A final update to close out this thread: a generic 16mm spring bar did the trick. But I’ll likely still add a proper 068ST9968 to my next Offrei order as it’s only a $5 outlay. (Thanks again for the part number, Archer.)
Edited: