Forums Latest Members

Spot that watch: L. Ron Hubbard Edition

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 21, 2015

I've been trying to figure out what watch Ol' L. Ron was wearing in this interview... but I can't figure it out. I think it's a chronograph. To fit with his "interesting" personality, I was thinking it could be a UG Space Compax - but I doubt it. It might not even be a chronograph. It's hard to see the pushers.

Any spotters?

[​IMG]

2. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Apr 21, 2015

Rolex?

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 21, 2015

Whatever his "supporters" bought him?

4. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Apr 21, 2015

haha @Modest_Proposal your recent threads have really made me chuckle. Not in a patronizing way mind you but in earnest. Nice change of pace. It's funny that you said Space-Compax because when I first saw it, I thought "is he wearing a Speedmaster?" which was a terrible guess. I think your guess was closer because it kind of looks like a Polerouter Sub from the shape of the asymmetrical lugs but hard to tell

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 21, 2015

I tried to do some research on it ages ago after someone with a fair bit of knowledge on the topic mentioned him having a massive collection of mainly Rolex, there's pics of him wearing 1675s, 5513/5512s, Omegas, JLCs, Cyma, and many others. Almost always on a strap rather than bracelet even for the Rolex sports models and he seemed to never be seen without a watch. Definitely had to have been a serious collector, and given how much time he was at sea I guess a car collection wasn't exactly practical.

6. repoman Apr 21, 2015

Makes you wonder what kind of issues can arise from a mechanical movement being exposed to an e-meter. :D

Disclaimer: if any Scientologists, Thetan's, or any other entities were offended by my post, then I sincerely apologize and reiterate my support of the freedom to join any cult^H^H^H^Hreligion you wish.
    post moderation in 3...2....1...

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 21, 2015

Don't beat about the bush. What he means is that we welcome all sorts of loonies here - religious or not.

8. repoman Apr 21, 2015

Good point and agreed. I give more money to the cult of Omega than most people gripping onto an e-meter, so yes, we all are a bit nutty and that's ok.

9. chocolatedial Apr 10, 2017

Well I guess I can give the answer. Yes he had some watches (not a big collection, 8 max), a 70's constellation Omega (worn when he was working on photo techniques while developing study technology). In the early 50's he was wearing a vintage Cyma and a so-common chronograph with Venus movement (brand not visible).
    The one in the video above is a Rolex GMT 6542 but the tricky thing is as follows: this is in fact a full gold watch (/8) but the coloring work in the video, as well as many black and white pictures of L. Ron Hubbard which have been colored, have been done by persons who do not know anything about watches and this watch has finally been colored "Steel", which is not correct has you can find pictures of him with the original watch, with a President bracelet, the day his ship (Apollo) went on the sea for the first time... He then changed his President bracelet for a leather one, certainly for a reason of comfort as his days were very busy.
    I hope this answers some of the above questions.
    Kind regards.

10. WatchVaultNYC Apr 10, 2017

He was a pretty good sci-fi writer before Scientology. I read this one in high school - all thousand pages

[​IMG]

And it was much better than this:

[​IMG]

11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 10, 2017

Very curious and comprehensive, chocolatedial.

Thank you very much for your insights.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 10, 2017

Zero difference in my books...except this one of course...;)

[​IMG]

DIV, rcs914, ahartfie and 3 others like this.