Forums Latest Members
  1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 5, 2013

You will all have heard of MMMD's capture of the Zenith S58 at last week's Bonhams auction, during which I patiently let him and the other internet bidder sort out. I did advise him of the condition before the sale started and, in fact, had made him aware of it when the catalogue first came out. Anyway, I thought it was time to break cover with my purchase from the sale.

I'm not going to play Lou's game of "What's in the box?" but here is the box. It is a bit of a work of art with a sliding, locking band and sprung loaded, bi-parting lid. Let me apologise for the photos but I can't bring myself to spend valuable watch money on a proper macro lens.

DSC00616.jpg

Look what you see when you open it.

DSC00622.jpg

Whilst I would love it to have a shiny dial, at least it is an honest patina.
    DSC00623.jpg

Nothing special about the case back apart from its origins.
    DSC00624.jpg

Still got its anti-magnetic inner cover
    DSC00625.jpg

The inside of the case back has got 14 service markings
    DSC00627A.jpg

And here is the 458-3 movement
    DSC00626.jpg

.....and again with the brightness turned down
    DSC00626A.jpg

Unfortunately, one of the watchmakers seems only to have had one screwdriver and the setting lever screw is deeply recessed so there is some "counter-sinking" type damage around that hole. Never the less - I love it.

MMMD likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2013

Looks like you did damn well for yourself! Appears to be from the 40's. Got a serial number or do you know what year already?

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 5, 2013

Thanks Dennis. It's actually a 458/3B, number 488147. Case 320842. I don't know the date but there was a lady sitting next to me at the auction who turned to me when the hammer fell and said, "That was my father's watch." She reckoned that he bought it in about 1950 but I'm buggered if I'm going to pay V&C 150 Francs to tell me exactly. If there is another way to find out, I'd certainly be interested.

I do use a watchmaker who is well connected (he can get Zenith to make obsolete parts for him) so hopefully he has a similar relationship with V&C - I shudder to think what a service would cost from them.

The watch also came with a small, CD case, sized brochure for V&C but unfortunately that is not dated. It does talk about V&C giving watches to the heads of state from the US, Soviet Union, GB and France at the Geneva cold war conference on 18 July 1955, but the brochure may have been sent to the original owner by a jeweler trying to get him to buy a new watch.

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 5, 2013

That's a beauty, Stewart. Very classy piece.

5. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2013

1945 started with serial number 475,000 and 1950 started with 500,000 so I would guess your watch was made in 1948.

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 5, 2013

Nice snag Stewart. This and the S58 would be the ones I would have gone for after going through the catalogue.:thumbsup:

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

Most excellent. Given the quality of your collection, we may have to resort to taking up a collection to buy you a macro lens for our own sake.

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 6, 2013

Thanks Dennis. That would bear out the lady's thoughts of purchase in around 1950.

9. Interstatetime Mar 7, 2013

Stewart,

To me the story of the daughter sitting next to you makes the watch that much more special. What could be better than a beautiful, original watch in its box with the daughter's words in your ears. Congrats!

10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 7, 2013

Did you bid at the auction today ? Curious to know what happened to the non-running 105.003 :coffee:

11. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 7, 2013

No, it was last Tuesday's sale I went to. I think the sale they had today was in Chester.

12. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 7, 2013

Agreed. I made my purchase at that auction in my pajamas at the kitchen table, surrounded by screaming kids. Memorable, yes, but not the same. :)

SpikiSpikester likes this.