Forums Latest Members
  1. Le Chef Apr 22, 2017

I'm wondering why Omega stopped selling the split sandwich Speedy Pro. I quite liked the idea of Heselite top and Sapphire bottom crystals but this model no longer seems to be on the Omega website and I don't see any that are NIB/LNIB for sale. Anyone know why Omega stopped making them? Or have I missed something?

MTIA

2. zrleopold Apr 22, 2017

I imagine they figured people would rather choose between historical accuracy, hesalite/steel back, and modern, all sapphire. Personally I was in the same boat choosing between the two. Ultimately, the dial aesthetic and historical positives of hesalite won out.

Having said that, you can for sure still find examples of the hesalite sandwich in good shape.

Edited Apr 23, 2017
  3. R3D9 Apr 22, 2017

I've seen a number of them pop up for sale via the Sales Forum:

https://omegaforums.net/forums/watches-for-sale/

I bet if you connected with @Kringkily he would be able to locate you one in very nice condition, assuming you can be patient.

I love the idea of hesalite top and sapphire glass for the movement. Had they offered a modern versio. For sale, I'd have had a tough time not going with that version - the 1861 all dressed up is a beautiful thing to behold.

4. ras47 Apr 22, 2017

Further confirmation that I'm a weirdo: I prefer the full metal back case. I just don't trust myself with a (relatively) delicate glass back. Yes, I know it's not true glass, and that it's in a protected position against my wrist. But you don't know me. If there is some silly/stupid way to endanger that glass, no matter how obscure, I'll find it. Tragedy will ensue. Then the wailing, crying, gnashing of teeth. Nobody needs to see that.

ahartfie likes this.
  5. dplawiuk Apr 22, 2017

A lot of people opt for the standard speedy pro hesalite and then pickup an aftermarket case back now. I've got a 3572.50 and love it. Wouldn't have bought it if the only option was a sapphire crystal.