Forums Latest Members
  1. 64Wing Oct 14, 2020

Ok OF fam,

Fell asleep around 1030pm on the couch last night after having not been home for five days. Woke up at 1230am or so to go to bed.

When I was brushing my teeth I realized my arms were itchy in two places. One on each. I had my sleeves rolled up whilst snoozing.

Anyway I found that I had been bitten on each arm by what I presume to be a spider. The epicenter of each wound manifested as a darker red dot about 3mm in diameter.
    The area surrounding the marks had swollen into a firm lump about 5cm in diameter.

Have attached photos best I could.

I've had similar events in the past and suffered only mild discomfort mixed with anger at the eight-legged little freaks.

Just wondered if anyone here has more knowledge than I do about spider bites and could perhaps tell me ways to soothe the swelling, and whether there's anything I can do to eradicate the pest.

Other potential items of relevance:
    Located in Michigan
    Home is in a non-forested area
    Couch has down pillows but no cover over the existing upholstery for pests to hide in.
    Inspection beneath the couch reveals no sign of inhabitants.

Many thanks! 20201014_133102-COLLAGE~2.jpg

2. janice&fred Oct 14, 2020

You sure it wasn't a mosquito? I don't know if it would be common for a spider to bite you on two different arms. Either way I would try simple rubbing alcohol to kill the itch and as long as you are not feeling much else then you should be all good.

3. Redwes25 Oct 14, 2020

I think your days are numbered. Sorry dude.

4. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 14, 2020

Have you tried flicking your wrist to see if you can produce a web?

5. janice&fred Oct 14, 2020

It's curtains for you.

6. 64Wing Oct 14, 2020

Let's see...who of you to include in the will...? ::book::::bleh::

Caliber561, YY77, queriver and 3 others like this.
  7. 64Wing Oct 14, 2020

Definitely not a mosquito. I have rather aggressive reactions to mosquito bites and they itch to high heaven. Those turn a white color for me.

These don't itch anymore strange enough

8. Redwes25 Oct 14, 2020

Honestly thought when I opened this thread it would be some sort of new stupid Rolex nickname - some unique crown or some such like spider dial.

9. flw history nerd Oct 14, 2020

If you were sleeping on your couch with your arms crossed, it's possible that a spider could have bitten your arms in a couple of spots close together. A bit of Benadryl cream and you should be fine, I think (unless you've had a bad reaction before).

I'm in Michigan too. As the weather gets colder the critters move indoors to keep warm!

10. janice&fred Oct 14, 2020

I guess you're gonna have to really poke around your living room and try to spot where that spider is living.

11. 64Wing Oct 14, 2020

I believe I did have them crossed and that was my thought as well. Just aggravating that I was literally not moving and the bastard came up like "I hate you! Byaaaaahhh!!!"

12. 64Wing Oct 14, 2020

We could start a trend. I mean, the "Pepsi" is blue and red...like Spiderman...just saying lol

Redwes25 likes this.
  13. flw history nerd Oct 14, 2020

Terrible attitude problem. Look what you're doing for him - comfy place, warm house, even a nice juicy couple of arms to nibble on!

14. 64Wing Oct 14, 2020

I'll accept the juicy arms compliment :p

You know what sucks is I was actually more comfortable than I'd been in a while. Many aches and pains from years in a shop and prior injuries. In fact, my buddy came to the house this morning to grab some tools from the garage and use the bathroom and I never heard him! Must've really needed the sleep

flw likes this.
  15. janice&fred Oct 14, 2020

Either that or the spider venom put you in a coma.

DSotW, 64Wing and DaveK like this.
  16. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Oct 14, 2020

Don't spider bites leave two tiny marks in the middle of the swollen area?

e.g.
    [​IMG]

17. Marsimaxam Oct 14, 2020

No... vampires

18. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 15, 2020

The swelling is caused by an egg sack. Remove the affected limbs and place them outside before the eggs hatch in your house.

19. base615 Oct 15, 2020

I feel your pain. I had a White Tail here in Australia bite me a few times behind my knee while I was sleeping. Got infected like a MFer, weeping pus etc. but it calmed down after a few weeks of antibiotics.

Deafboy likes this.
  20. queriver Oct 15, 2020

No problem, you live in Michigan ---
    "
    Guinness World Records has ranked the Sydney funnel-web spider as the world's most venomous spider, defining the term "most venomous" as "having the venom most toxic to humans". Sydney funnel-web spider venom contains a compound known as δ-atracotoxin, an ion channel inhibitor, which makes the venom highly toxic for humans and other primates. However, it does not affect the nervous system of other mammals.[10] These spiders typically deliver a full envenomation when they bite, often striking repeatedly, due to their defensiveness and large chitinous cheliceral fangs.
    "

[​IMG]
    Source Wikipedia

There's a thread on OF dedicated to our friendly creatures....
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/not-all-things-in-australia-want-to-kill-you.52439/