Forums Latest Members
  1. Dombo63 Sep 7, 2015

Not strictly a dilemma as I already own the Tag but while awaiting my holiday flight I went to see what the best deal I could extract on a Moonwatch. The assistant let me try it on and suggested I take a pic to gaze at while I decided to pull the trigger.
    Have to admit, the Speedy is a fantastic looking watch in its standard form. My only concern initially was that it might look too big on my relatively thin wrist. What do people think? I cannot ask the sales assistant for reasons of obvious bias:
    Speedy Pro.JPG

By way of contrast, this is my automatic Tag 2000:
    Tag 2000.JPG
    I have had this since 1993 and apart from replacement dial and hands it is original and has pretty much never left my wrist except for servicing.
    Now my dilemma is that although I love the look of the Speedy, its history, heritage etc, this may seem odd but as I consider getting one, when I look at the Tag it's suddenly like looking at an old friend. He has sat on my desk during professional exams, kept me safe while SCUBA diving 50 metres below the sea and even timed my breakfast boiled egg to perfection. At the dead of night his faintly glowing little face even tells me what time it is.
    Sometimes he has got ahead of himself and I need to mentally adjust the time back by a few minutes, but never anything serious.
    It is after all only a watch but as I try to decide on getting the Moonwatch I feel sad at having to let the Tag go (OK give it to my son), almost like I'm abandoning the little fellow.
    Does anyone else feel like this or am I just being overly anthropomorphic towards a bunch of little cogs and springs in a metal case?

Mad Dog likes this.
  2. base615 Sep 7, 2015

Not too big at all IMO.

Photo's taken close like that usually make the watch look bigger and, since it looks fine in the photo, I have no doubt it looks great in person.

3. redpcar Sep 7, 2015

Nice story.
    Think of it like this. You save enough money to buy the house of your dreams. In the backyard, you have a garage to keep beautiful cars. Different cars for different occasions. Park that Omega next to your trusty Tag. You are not replacing it. Then look for the next and the next and the next..............ummmmm...... we are getting into my obsession now ;)

Dombo63 likes this.
  4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Sep 7, 2015

Doesn't look too big to me

5. Canuck Sep 7, 2015

I have a Speedmaster Professional, and a Speedmaster automatic. The Speedmaster automatic is a slightly smaller watch (diameter), although a bit thicker. I don't know whether their is an equivalent size difference between the current Speedmaster Professional and other Speedmaster models in current Omega offerings. I wonder exactly how much bigger the Speedmaster Profession is than your Tag! I'll bet if you used a caliper to do a size comparison on the two watches, there would not, in fact, be a lot of difference in size. The Tag is not a small watch!

6. Dombo63 Sep 9, 2015

Thanks for advice, everyone. Just pulled the trigger on a Speedy Moonwatch, hesalite and steel back.

7. M.D. Sep 9, 2015

Congrats! You can't go wrong with a speedy pro. Keep both, you'll easily find occasions to rotate wearing them. I often times wear one watch to work and then switch to a different watch when I get home.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 9, 2015

Congratulations regarding the purchase, @Dombo63. :thumbsup:

Looks good on your wrist...rock on! :thumbsup:

I share your feelings regarding your attachment to your TAG. A watch is a trusty companion. I don't consider myself a watch collector...more of a watch enthusiast who has purchased a few new watches during the course of his lifetime. I've always planned to hold on to my few watches...and then pass them on to our children...just like my dad passed on his few watches to me.

Anyway, my Speedy Pro with Hesalite crystal and steel case back says "hello" from Dunkin' Donuts in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA. :thumbsup:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited Sep 9, 2015
    ricardorio likes this.
  9. jcmartinez98 Sep 9, 2015

master, master, where's the strap that i've been after?
    what a GREAT album.

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. Dombo63 Sep 10, 2015

New Speedy arrived today in the biggest box I've ever seen for holding a watch. Properly sized it sits just right and is no thicker than the Tag. Even has a loupe so I can read the sub dial to time my boiled egg in the morning! All told, very pleased with it.
    One question I have though - do people use the big timer hand as a sweep second hand? e.g. press the top button then just let it run?
    Thanks again for all advice and help. Excellent forum.

11. redpcar Sep 10, 2015

I always use chronos in the stop position. I think it looks cooler. Run them every once and a while to keep the juices flowing.
    Al probably has the best technical response............

12. Canuck Sep 10, 2015

I change watches regularly, and either of my two Speedmasters only receive irregular wear. Same with my several other chronograph also. But whichever chronograph I am wearing, the chronograph is always operating, whether I am timing an event, or not. It's a personal thing.

13. Nicked Likes the second class watches of the Proles Sep 12, 2015

You made the right choice. Enjoy!

14. JamieG Sep 12, 2015

X2 enjoy

You'll be putting the TAG in the draw more frequently :)