Forums Latest Members

Speedy virgin seeking trained eyes for a 145.022-69

1. jeppehh Apr 4, 2019

Hi all

I am currently looking at this 145.022-69DN90 speedmaster. The back and the serial indicate an early ’71 version.

I am looking for an entry level watch for wearing. This is not meant to be a safe-queen (obviously).
    I am hoping to get the watch for around 3000-3500 USD

I have tried to do my research and as far as I can tell all parts look original and time correct. But I would like you thoughts on this, as well as any other red flags.

Case:
    Case looks pretty worn and especially the lugs have seen better days. This to me seems acceptable at this price, but I am curious to hear if you agree.
    A bigger concern might be the rust/corrosion, but I am unsure how difficult that is to treat. I guess it will require some polishing.

Dial:
    Dial and hands looks to be correct for this version.
    The lume looks brighter than other versions I have seen though, where it has become more of a yellow. Is that an indication of something fishy?
    The bezel is DN90, which should be right for the later version of the -69.

Crystal:
    This is a scratchy mess, but I was hoping some Polywax could bring it back. Or is the damage to great?

Movement:
    Looks in okay shape to my untrained eye. I know that a service will be needed, but is there anything that looks off?

So maybe in conclusion. Do you think this watch is too far gone, and should I spend a couple more grand to get a better version?

Thank you all :)

Speedy1.png Speedy2.png Speedy3.png Speedy5.png Speedy4.png Speedy6.png Speedy7.png

Edited Apr 4, 2019
    DotOverNine and Eve like this.
  2. Speedmasterfan88 Apr 4, 2019

All around unattractive watch albeit mostly correct from a first glance.
    Dial looks washed to me (all lume gone) but hard to judge from those over brightened pictures.
    Damage to the hands.
    Chrono creep (Look st the subcounter at 6)
    Later bracelet
    Later endlinks
    Biggest concern: the case looks drilled out/damaged right and left at the pusher guards. No idea what happened there.

Search some more, maybe up your funds 500$ and you should be able to find a nice example at around 4.000$. Keep an eye at the sales corner here.

Cheers,

Mac

jeppehh, ATWG and kov like this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 4, 2019

Well now I am the first to try to balance price with condition, and where apropriate recomend a "cheaper" watch if it is going to give pleasure.

$3,000 is cheap for a -69. It is quite cheap for any step dial up to -74. So I look at this and wonder, when a brief search of C24 or ebay shows prices higher than this. Why does the seller think this watch is worth $2,000 less than the cheapest -69 on C24? (Broad concept here, dont get hung up on C24 being asking prices etc,) Out of 49 results, only six are under $6000 and all are over $5,000.

For me, I see a "washed" dial with no lume. Hands that do not match. A movement that probably needs a service, and a corroded case. The bracelet has the square logo and I would expect a trapeze logo.

These are all very good reasons to make the watch harder to sell.

You do also realise there is no head on shot showing the general look of the watch including bezel?

At $3000 I would not dismiss it, but it is going to need some TLC, and might never pass a WP test, depending on the corrosion.

So you need to ask yourself, can you live with the dial and hands?

And lets see a head shot

Adb_85, Linzer, Bbturbo and 7 others like this.
  4. jeppehh Apr 4, 2019

Thank you for the great feedback.

I think we can all agree it is no show pony. The question is now whether it is even worth the 3 grand and more importantly if I'll be happy wearing it. You both raised concerns that might tip the scale towards a no, I think.

@Speedmasterfan88, good point about the 'drilling'. I didn't actually notice this. That is concerning. :(

@Spacefruit That you for helping balance the price vs. condition discussion. You write that the hands don't match. Can you explain how you see this. Looking at comparision models, the hands look the same to me. What is off? ::confused2::

And here is the head shot. Some how that got lost.

Speedy0.png

5. JanV Apr 4, 2019

My opinion on OP’s watch is that for 3000USD I would like and wear this as a care free daily beater, after a service, cleaning and a new crystal. But try to get a better shot of the lume, if it’s washed out or not. I’we seen white lume on some -69’s before that haven’t patinated almost at all, and an overexposed picture can make them vanish. As for the “drilling”, aren’t these only reflections of the pushers against the case, or am i seeing wrong. If drilled or without lume, then this would be a definite no-go for me.

jeppehh likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 4, 2019

Re non matching hands.

Hand lume cannot match dial if dial has no lume... additionally one hand has more degradation then the other.

Over all very tired watch, priced as such.

jeppehh likes this.
  7. JanV Apr 4, 2019

Here’s a shot of OP’s picture where i took down the light a bit. I would request a better shot of the dial. As Foo said, priced to its condition. But for me still wearable as a beater in rotation.

13F6F415-BC52-4E49-8FC9-326F54137F35.jpeg
    chronoboy64 and jeppehh like this.
  8. jeppehh Apr 4, 2019

Thanks for the input and picture @JanV. To me it looks like very minimal lume on your version still.
    Also regarding the ‘drilling’ it looks to be apparent on the back picture as well. Not sure it is just a reflection.

@Foo2rama thanks to the input on the hands. So am I to understand that the hands are correct for the version but they don’t match each other and this specific piece?

Again, always so impressed with the engagement and expertise of the people in this forum. You rock!

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  9. Cleup Apr 4, 2019

if the price is good, I would buy it

10. Speedmasterfan88 Apr 4, 2019

Re: drilling/ reflection. Impossible to tell for sure from the pictures, I‘d definitely like to have that watch in hand before buying, also to take a second look at he lume.

If it’s a reflection, shouldn’t it be round like the pusher? Also the drilling/reflection reflected on the pusher, or is this just a reflection of the reflection? Reflecception?!

F10C48D0-F2F3-4019-B8A4-066DEBCE2220.jpeg C1225B94-7BA9-476A-B66C-009FA8E6D90D.jpeg

Davidt, jeppehh and Foo2rama like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 4, 2019

Hands appear correct for this reference.

Spacefruit and jeppehh like this.
  12. gdupree Apr 4, 2019

A good relume would have this looking nice IMO, well enough for me to enjoy. At that price, it could be serviced and relumed for $4000 or less all-in.

That’s pretty much what I did with the -74 on my wrist now, which I got for only $500 less two years ago and it’s my nearest and dearest speedmaster... but I will say that the possible case drilling would probably deal-break it, for me.

13. BatDad Apr 4, 2019

Why a watch might need case drilling?

14. jeppehh Apr 5, 2019

I will request some additional pictures, and share here if I'm successful.

The wierdness/drillign around the pushers is a no-go for me even at this pricepoint. Let's hope it is a case of reflecception™️.
    The lume issue I think I would be able to live with and maybe even learn to love :)

Otherwise the hunt continues, which has proven to be quite fun as well.

JanV and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2019

It wouldn't...

Shabbaz and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 5, 2019

Aren't the holes drilled so you can slide in the paperclip without having to open the caseback?