Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday — Finding An Honest Speedmaster

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 7, 2020

[​IMG]
    Last week I joined the #SpeedyTuesday Live session on the official Omega Instagram account and talked about my precious Speedmaster Professional from my year of birth. It resulted in a lot of messages from viewers that are also searching for their perfect Speedmaster. But that means something different for everyone. For some, the perfect Speedmaster […]

Visit Speedy Tuesday — Finding An Honest Speedmaster to read the full article.

Vale21, Mad Dog, Wuza72 and 5 others like this.
  2. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 7, 2020

interesting personal stories :)

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 7, 2020

Bought a new one in 2013 and wearing it most days at work.
    Making a honest Speedy one day at a time. :thumbsup:

C4796685-871B-4BBD-91C7-4B3A2EFC05F2.jpeg

26295CF4-3A0D-451D-A45C-3F0C1AE27E59.jpeg

cowboyjack, scapa, Robert-Jan and 8 others like this.
  4. queriver Apr 7, 2020

Yes, an honest watch that shows its history as well as its link to the individual on the engraved clasp. For me, that clasp makes it too "personal" to somebody else, the implication being I wouldn't be able to make this watch my own. It could be replaced but, in doing so, you'd be breaking a link that perhaps shouldn't be broken after 40 years.

5. Meme-Dweller Apr 7, 2020

You teased us! We thought Omega was going to announce a new Speedy since the timing of the Live session was around when Baselworld used to happen in previous years

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 8, 2020

With most of the other major watch-makes going completely silent by postponing new product launches, Omega could shine bringing news on the long-awaited " 50 years Apollo 13 " tribute Speedmaster chronograph... :unsure:

7. M'Bob Apr 8, 2020

This is a wonderful collectible, and your article brings up a lot of interesting issues.

Sometimes, one confronts the issue that "honesty" in a watch abuts aesthetics. In other words, if a watch has had a hard, but one-owner, untouched life, it can be honest, but not appealing.

The second issue that comes to mind is whether one is making a shrine to someone else's history, or creating a new one with ownership. And of course, everyone is entitled with objects they purchase and process to do what they wish with them.

In this case, someone else's personal history is being preserved, and you are the custodian, and that's great. And, being a collector of Speedmasters, I'm certain you have others that you are creating your own history with. But my point is, if I were hunting for one prime Speedy for my collection, and was not interested in obtaining others, I would opt for one that I would wear, that would be a marker for events in my life, that I would make "honest," and that someone else down the road would eventually appreciate too.

Robert-Jan and cvalue13 like this.
  8. cvalue13 Apr 8, 2020

I bought a watch to celebrate the birth of my first son; I wear it regularly. It’ll be his one day, and every scratch will have been put there by me - until his first scratch.

Unless of course he grows up to be an arse, in which case it’ll be an “honest” watch for a collector.

9. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 9, 2020

Cool! I have a new one from 2013 as well, for my daughter (b.2013) when she's old enough.

whyboddau and STANDY like this.
  10. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 9, 2020

But I am very happy they didn't do so far. I don't think it would be the right timing, at all.

SpeedyPhill and STANDY like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2020

2013 started on a Tuesday ;)

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 9, 2020

Indeed RJ... but the economy will restart... and someone must be the first with a new product :D

MTROIS likes this.
  13. speedydownunder Apr 10, 2020

+1

A great opportunity for Omega given the paucity of watch news at present.

14. speedydownunder Apr 10, 2020

I think it could be pitched as a positive. Human spirit and ingenuity overcoming adversity. Would need to be done appropriately though.