Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – Speedmaster Albino For The Italian Market

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Sep 20, 2016

[​IMG]
    Speedmaster Albino – White Dial Speedmaster for the 40th Anniversary Remember our Speedy Tuesday article about Speedmasters with white dials (click here), we already included the Speedmaster Albino, or ‘Bianco Italiano’ there. However, in this week’s Speedy Tuesday installment I would like to zoom in a bit on that particular model. Speedmaster Professional 3593.20 Officially introduced […]

The post Speedy Tuesday – Speedmaster Albino For The Italian Market appeared first on Fratello Watches.

2. nurseford25 Sep 20, 2016

I wish omega would make this or a version like this (without cartoons ::stirthepot::) a production model. I have to agree that this is my favorite LE model.

BlueBoy likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 20, 2016

Great article!

Question though, why 1861 tritium models as collectibles and not 861's from the 70's early 80's? They seem to be trading at similar prices for 74 and later domed dials.

4. Maganator Sep 21, 2016

Would it be possible to buy these hands directly from Omega if you were a registered repairer?

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2016

There are some sets on eBay.

Maganator likes this.
  6. Scepticalist Sep 21, 2016

My second favourite limited model. Only the Mitsukoshi dial panda has the edge for me.

If I was to make a LE for the 60th anniversary, or the moon landing 50th it would be: Panda dial. Snoopy lumed bezel, FOIS handset

tpatta likes this.
  7. pascs Sep 21, 2016

In those photos the dial looks white but it is actually light cream colour, which unfortunately doesnt look as good in real life as those pictures would suggest. I didnt gel with that dial and sold it some time ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ACTmike likes this.
  8. zizou73 Sep 21, 2016

Great article for a great watch.
    I'm lucky enough to own this watch. I confirm that it's very rare on the market, as i saw only one on chrono24 during the last 6+ months (and I bought it immediatly).
    The hands color, to me, is more between grey and blue.
    I love this watch because of the pleasing combination of the dial with the hands, plus the sapphire sandwich characteristics.

Furthermore, it would be interesting to organise a big vote to determine what is the prefered Speedmaster edition of all times, and to rate the desirability of each ;-).
    I guess that this 3593 would be well rated, but wouldn't be the preferred one. I would vote for the Japan racing LE.
    [​IMG]

ACTmike, ChuckMK23 and GregH like this.
  9. Maganator Sep 21, 2016

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2016

The hour and minute hands in that sale on eBay are not right for this LE model - you are correct that the hands are all black.

Cheers, Al

11. zizou73 Sep 21, 2016

Hello,

I had a deal last week with this vendor (John) for a Mitsukoshi set (dial + 6 hands).
    My advice would be to contact him directly by email, asking for hands of a 'Speedmaster Albino For The Italian Market', or 'reference 3593'.
    He seems to know a lot about Speedmasters.
    mail : [email protected]

12. yinzerniner Sep 21, 2016

Have to agree that the pics in the article are not quite indicative of the actual dial.
    The dark indices and text on the dial are more of a powdered finish, so in the flesh they don't quite pop with contrast like the pics suggest. Also, the dial is a very faint cream color as @pascs mentioned due to the powder finish so it looks close to white in bright light but picks up some color as the conditions darken.
    As to if it looks "as good" in person is a user preference, but the dial definitely differs in pics to real life.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 21, 2016

I'll third this opinion - the photo in the article above is quite misleading. None of these dials that I have ever handled are that bright white...

14. Maganator Sep 21, 2016

That was my concern, thanks for confirming before I pulled the trigger!

That's great, thanks. I will send him an email to see if he can assist. I have the Mitsukoshi dial and hands - but I do prefer the all black hands.

15. Perseus Sep 21, 2016

I'll 4th the opinion. I had the dial and it was very cream rather than a true white like the Snoopy.

This picture shows the color much more accurately.

Speedmaster - Italy dial - True Color.jpg

16. ErichPryde Dec 12, 2023

Resurrecting an old thread here- @Archer, have you serviced many of these? I saw this photo in another thread:
    [​IMG]

which seems to suggest there may be more than one dial color. HOWEVER- examining the white background upon which they are sitting, it appears as if it is more white to the left and more cream to the right, so I wonder how much of this is a trick of the lighting under which this photo was taken.

Just curious... what you've seen of these dials as far as color goes.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 12, 2023

All I have seen are cream coloured...

ErichPryde and watchyouwant like this.
  18. ErichPryde Dec 12, 2023

Thanks for the response. I would probably lean towards the image above being a trick of the lighting more than anything.
    How did you like them? I think the image that @Perseus shared is quite lovely, but I've never seen one of these in real life and I don't know how they looking person or in various lighting conditions

19. Evitzee Dec 12, 2023

The revival of this old thread is why the mini-hysteria over a possible 'white' dial Speedmaster needs to be kept in perspective. Too many people call a light colored dial 'white' when in actuality it's not. Omega has made a couple of truly white Speedmaster dials, the Alaska Project and Snoopy 45th, the other ones can be cream colored (the Albino and the 3575.20 date/moon), silver opaline (Mitsukoshi, Apollo 11 35th, Tokyo 2020 pandas), or something else (like the Tokyo 2020 'Rising Sun'). They can appear white depending on lighting, but they aren't in fact. The couple of pictures we have seen of this new mystery Speedmaster seem to put it in the more white spectrum but we won't know until it breaks cover next month.

Personally I'm not a fan of white, white dials unless they are a fired enamel production. But they seem to have fans although there aren't all that many really white dials out there right now. Let's see what January brings.

I like the cream colored dials of the Albino and the 3575.20 which are really nice looking on the wrist, but others want that super white dial. Personal preference.

20. ErichPryde Dec 12, 2023

@Evitzee thanks for the input here. I think a lot of people really want a true white speedy, and I know the white dominant pandas are popular (mods of the mitsukoshi and july 69 dials seem to be in some demand). I definitely lean more towards the cream color. strikes me as more vintage, perhaps a bit warmer.

Edited Dec 12, 2023