Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – Omega Speedmaster Grey Side Of The Moon Meteorite versus New Rolex Daytona...

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 5, 2016

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  2. karalhoin Apr 5, 2016

Interesting article, was a good read, especially because I have wondered "should I cancel my DSOTM order and go for this Daytona?"

I've never been particularly attracted to Rolex designs but in the case of the 116500LN I have to admit that the thought of getting one crossed my mind. I really like the way it looks, so it could be my first Rolex. I'd only consider it since Rolex seems to depreciate less than other brands, so if you manage to buy low, it might not be too bad if you need to convert it back to liquidity.

That said, I still prefer the original DSOTM and that's why I have one on order (taking forever). It's just a special watch in several ways, I'd say even more than the Daytona. Most likely it will depreciate more, but it's still a good looking (and probably very durable) watch.

Something else holding me back from considering the Daytona at this time is how visually recognizable the brand is. I'm sure no one will notice/care when I have the DSOTM, but showing up with the Rolex crown showing will no doubt make people think that it's either a $70 Lolex and I'm tacky or a real Rolex and I'm loaded, which is not accurate.
    Being more visible, they also attract a bit of unwanted attention in some cases. I guess that going out at night I'd feel like I'd be walking around with a sombrero full of money. This applies to almost any Rolex however, and it's my problem, not the brand's.

In the case of the Meteorite, I've only seen it in photos, but it doesn't work for me. Dial looks too busy. It's not an ugly watch, but it's not as iconic as the original DSOTM. IMHO it wasn't a really essential model, but I guess Omega won't stop milking the Speedmaster and xSOTM anytime soon. What's next? I suggest a SSSOTM (Silver Snoopy Side of the Moon) Limited Edition.

So of the Meteorite vs Daytona, I'd go with the Daytona, even without a full ceramic case and a back crystal.

gostang9 likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 5, 2016

I own a Daytona and I have to say I honestly think its still the best watch Rolex make by a large margin, low profile, great under the cuff, always looks good, the 72 hour power reserve is incredibly useful for collectors who rotate or take their watch off over the weekend for a beater, accuracy is excellent and the stainless bezel doesn't cost a mint to replace if you wreck it. The easy link clasp system is brilliant and simple, and the comfort and feel is spot on, as a daily wear watch its an extremely compelling option at its price point especially compared with the rest of the watches Rolex make.

Nobel Prize and gostang9 like this.
  4. Jminchoi Apr 5, 2016

Nice article. I love the Daytona and see it in my collection at some point.

Many times I’ve been starting to save up for a Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon or was at the point to actually purchase one, but every time another (Speedmaster) watch came in between that I needed to have. Most of the time limited editions or limited by production, so that it was a ‘once in a life time’ opportunity. Does it mean I don’t like the Dark or Grey Side of the Moon enough? Not at all.

I fully agree. I'm getting inundated yearly with all these Omega limited edition releases and need time to let it soak in. I'd quickly go broke (while lining Omega's pockets) trying to keep up with all of the latest releases. I do think that the dark side of the moon is one of the stronger recent releases, but I had to try it on the wrist to appreciate it. I think I'll have to see the meteorite dial in person, but it does look quite busy. I'm happy with my 3570 for now.

karalhoin likes this.
  5. Superdoc Apr 5, 2016

Interesting article... I have to say, that at the price point... It is a really tough call...

It is a bit like comparing apples and oranges... A collection could easily sustain both ...

Not to hijack this thread, but...
    An interesting article, and one that's been playing around in my head, is the best watch at a given price-point... Looking at $13-$15k... I've actually found myself pulled most toward this one:
    image.jpeg

Granted, not a chronograph, nor as iconic as Daytona vs Speedmaster... But if you put it in a class of watch for $$... It's hard to consider the others

6. nima0071 Apr 6, 2016

gotta have the 116500LN white dial. Will go great with the Snoopy.

7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 6, 2016

Do they also have a Model for people living in the southern hemisphere?

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. erlcl3e Apr 6, 2016

That Rolex Daytona with the white face is gorgeous. Definitely would love to add to the collection later.

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 6, 2016

It's on the other side of the dial...

10. Alex_TA Apr 6, 2016

I'll be heavily beaten here, but for me SS Daytona is totally not legible watch for time measuring.
    WG Daytona is another animal though.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  11. artschool Apr 6, 2016

I like Rolex, but for me there is no comparison between the speed master and the Daytona. Speed master wins hands down.

12. Riviera Paradise Apr 7, 2016

The Basel 2016 Daytona is the first modern Daytona I could warm to. The only example I am aware of where a Rolex watch has improved post-ceramic Bezel insertion...Sub, GMT both look better PC (PRE-Ceramicus Age).

I think the Speedy Meteorite would have to be really checked-out in person as that sort of dial can vary significantly under different lighting conditions.

Another point of course is the actual value of the watch...if you have access to the grey market (which I don´t)...any "side of the moon" watch can be purchased 30-40% off after a few years, so this Speedy meteorite at grey market pricing would probably be found (circa 2018) for around 9800 CHF, which could be considered "better value" than the Daytona at 11.500CHF.

But I don´t think many buyers are actually going to choose one or the other based on a cost diference of just 1000-2000CHF;)

Edited Apr 7, 2016
  13. larryganz The cable guy Apr 8, 2016

The Daytona really does it for me. But if I already have the attached titanium LE watch with white dial with black ceramic bezel, do I need the Daytona? I'm number one on the list at one of my two local Rolex AD for the Daytona, so...

Astron Chronograph SSE001.JPG
    Cosd, nima0071 and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. nima0071 Apr 13, 2016

yes you do need the new daytona just look at it. 1918069_927489974025795_6081854571342864126_n.jpg

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 13, 2016

I'm looking at it.....and.....nothing....

16. Flingit1200s Apr 13, 2016

Nothing here either.

17. Superdoc Apr 14, 2016

It's funny.... when they released it at Basel.. I thought "wow!!" "Home run!!" "Must have!"...

the more I see it , the less impressed I get.... It may have just been a 'Starving man eating a Saltine' effect...

kangajack and Traveler like this.
  18. sgtpry Apr 14, 2016

Yeah, I felt nothing too...

Looks ugly to me :D
    I love the vintage daytonas though.... (the 4 digit series), like this 6263:

*image from Hodinkee
    [​IMG]

New daytona looks that doesn't feel easy on my eyes:
    - crown, chrono pushers and crown guards too bulky and crowded like some fungus grow from the case
    - hour marker index looks like some weird unnatural shape, love the vintage bar hour marker better
    - a paragraph on the dial, not good
    - subdials ring, prefer the vintage subdials
    - bezel too wide and too busy

Maybe just because I am a vintage WIS...

Those features might be appealing for modern Rolex enthusiast though..

19. Peecmkr Apr 14, 2016

Not for 12 grand

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Apr 15, 2016

Not true. .. I look at it and. ...

You're right, .... nothing :unsure:

I always keep thinking that if it weren't for the Rolex logo, the Daytona would be considered a pretty ugly watch

sgtpry likes this.