Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – Omega Speedmaster Apollo XVII 45th Anniversary in Gold

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Mar 28, 2017

[​IMG]
    On January 16th of this year, Gene Cernan passed away. He was the Last Man on the Moon during the Apollo 17 mission in 1972. Before that, he flew on the Gemini 9A and Apollo 10 missions. This year, Omega introduced the 3rd Speedmaster Apollo XVII limited edition. In two flavors. In stainless steel (1972 […]

Visit Fratello Watches to read the full article.

rominvicta, Ru4scuba and TLIGuy like this.
  2. rominvicta Mar 28, 2017

Awesome Beauty that is! I have to contend myself with the steel model though. Like what you wrote RJ!

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Mar 28, 2017

Robert-Jan likes this.
  4. Riviera Paradise Mar 28, 2017

Thanks Robert for posting. The dark blue ceramic/gold combo looks gorgeous, but I agree with @Meme-Dweller that the use of a large Apollo face logo is not the best design element for a Speedy Pro dial (that was the PC version I believe of Meme's statement:)).

I think in the gold version they have almost got away with it, but on the SS I think it looks a bit cheap. If they want to use the Apollo reference, make it smaller within the inner circle of the sub-dial as a mission patch.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 28, 2017

In my opinion, this would have looked much better without the Apollo logo/profile anywhere on the face. If you have to have it somewhere, put it on the back so it's out of sight most of the time. I've come to the conclusion that nothing Omega can do will ever make it easy on the eye. Then again, I could be prejudiced, because every time I see it (which is as infrequently as possible) it reminds me of Joe Bugner :taunt:

Muhammad-Ali.jpg

6. dialstatic Mar 29, 2017

Well darn. Now it reminds me of him, too. Thanks a lot :(

Still waiting to see good pictures of the steel version. If the difference with the renders is as marked as it is for the gold one, we might have a winner on our hands after all.

Ru4scuba likes this.
  7. FlyingTiger Mar 29, 2017

Yeah, I struggle a bit as well. The new Rolex SD with Blue Dial or the new Omega Speedmaster Apollo 17 in steel :unsure:

Regards,
    Alexander