Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – Hands-On With The Speedmaster Blue Side of the Moon Moonphase Aventurine Dial

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 17, 2018

2. larryganz The cable guy Apr 17, 2018

Thanks for the post. Not my favorite, but interesting. I'd have preferred to see a black version with silver hands, but that's me. I love the original DSOTM and it's glossy black dial - add little silver stars and wowza, and a moon phase is just icing on the cake.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. angschte Apr 17, 2018

Thanks a lot for another great hands-on.
    One thing I keep wondering is if the colour of the blue ceramic is really different (darker) than the one on the original Blue Side of the moon?

The guy from Omega mentioned here (
    ) that this is the case. Did you observe it Robert-Jan?

Best,
    Fabian

4. pianomankd Apr 17, 2018

Great photos, thanks for the write up!

Robert-Jan likes this.
  5. larryganz The cable guy Apr 17, 2018

It looks like it was modeled out of a navy blue crayon in the video above.

6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 17, 2018

Difficult to say as they weren’t in the same room. I can ask this though, will do and update the article accordingly.

7. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 18, 2018

So, I asked the person at Omega who is responsible for its development. He let me know that the blue ceramic is exactly the same. However, due to the reheating process, you will/may get a different color in the end. So I believe this means that they can be different some times, but also among the same model you can have some slight differences in color.

8. angschte Apr 18, 2018

Thanks a lot Robert-Jan for the clarification. Sad to hear, on the photos it looked far better than the old Blue Side of the Moon in my opinion (due to the darker shade, which appears to be almost grey/black).

9. Morseman Apr 22, 2018

10. Morseman Apr 22, 2018

Having never seen blue ceramic, I tried on a BSOTM at an AD last week and I have to say, I completely agree with you - the combination of the blue ceramic case with the blue ceramic dial seemed dull and uninteresting. I'm looking forward to seeing the aventurine dial version and hope I like that better.

In view of the information about varying color in the ceramic cases, it sounds like this would not be a watch to go for, without seeing it in the flesh.

11. angschte Jan 18, 2019

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that the first Aventurine Blue Side of the Moon Moonphase Aventurine Dial (phew) arrived at the OB in Zurich last week. Went to see it and I like it, but still have doubts regarding the blue ceramic case (which is indeed the same color as the standard Blue Side, compared side-by-side).

The watch is rather flashy given the gold accents, the prominent golden moon and the sparkle of the dial. Much better in my opinion than the standard Blue Side.

Would love to see an Aventurine dial version in a GSOTM-Case with white gold accents - I would buy that one ASAP.

Best,
    Fabian

12. drhex Jan 18, 2019

There is one in Regent Street in London as well apparently. Not entirely sure if I need that one in my life...