Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – Hands-On With The Speedmaster Apollo 8

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Apr 3, 2018

[​IMG]
    Last week we already showed you the Speedmaster CK2998 Pulsometer, and this week it is time for a little hands-on with the new Speedmaster Apollo 8. Omega dedicates 2018 mainly to the Seamaster collection, celebrating its 70th anniversary and the 25th anniversary of the Seamaster 300M. However, that did not refrain them from releasing a number […]

Visit Speedy Tuesday – Hands-On With The Speedmaster Apollo 8 to read the full article.

CTS-V, Dedalus05, kilofinal and 4 others like this.
  2. Riviera Paradise Apr 3, 2018

Thanks Robert-Jan, great write up as usual, addressing some of the controversial aspects of the watch. I think many on the OF were waiting for your unbiased review on this one, as we all respect your opinion as a serious Speedy collector.

Having seen many of the live photos I do think this is one of the most creative designs from Omega with one of the most interesting interpretations of a skeleton dial in recent years. I am pretty sure that live on the wrist the yellow is much more discreet than in the close-up shots. I am looking forward to see this watch live...for me this is a pop-art, fun Speedy to have in your collection...similar to a Snoopy Speedy, for example.

With the Apollo 8 DSOTM not being a LE we can all wait till next year to see if the Apollo 11 50th Speedy options are better buys. I do think though that the whole DSOTM product line is closely linked to the Apollo 8 mission, so I am not necessarily expecting anything next year more "radical" than this year's design...thought we might see a METAS movement upgrade across the standard DSOTM range for 2019.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. M'Bob Apr 3, 2018

Agreed. Points for creativity, without question. Wish the aesthetics were more appealing.

Robert-Jan and Taddyangle like this.
  4. sevenhelmet Apr 3, 2018

Yeah, this is a weird one to me. While I like the ideas behind it, I just don't like the watch. I think the yellow trim is what ruins it for me.

Nice write up and photos, though.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 3, 2018

Really enjoyed the article, well done as usual. The watch though is definitely “not my beer”.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  6. Riviera Paradise Apr 3, 2018

I will be curious to see this Apollo 8 with a more subdued black leather strap, from the DSOTM Sedna Black, for example, or just a simple all-black NATO strap. I like the racing strap provided with the Apollo 8 version, but I believe the yellow details on the strap might be tipping the yellow accents too far in the overall design.

I am sure many (including me) will have a different opinion once they see this watch live (negative or positive). Apparently it will have a small production no. but will not be a limited edition, so I am also wondering how it will perform in the pre-owned, grey-market.

Edited Apr 3, 2018
    Robert-Jan likes this.
  7. lando Apr 3, 2018

Thanks very much for the great write-up and pictures (best i have seen, yet).

Well, i am still sceptical about that watch, but time will tell, if finally i will start to like it.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  8. Riviera Paradise Apr 3, 2018

Black, gold and yellow can look cool...
    senna_portugal_1985_1_blog.jpg

9. micampe Apr 3, 2018

Not a Speedmaster person but I think it looks cool. Skeletonized dials often look tacky but this is almost subtle, black and yellow is fun, and the finish on the movement is nice. The only thing I don’t like is the bezel font.

Robert-Jan and Riviera Paradise like this.
  10. RLF13430 Apr 3, 2018

Thanks for the article.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  11. lightspire Apr 3, 2018

Great article Robert-Jan. My question is: do collectors see the Speedmaster Apollo 8 44mm black ceramic as a true Speedmaster?

Robert-Jan likes this.
  12. Meme-Dweller Apr 3, 2018

Well, NASA liked the hesalite since it doesn't shatter. Now the whole watch can shatter. Not a true Moonwatch, but it seems to pay a nice tribute to it.

Edited May 14, 2018
    Spacefruit and Robert-Jan like this.
  13. bonerp Apr 4, 2018

I like this a lot. It could very well divert my attention away from the Rolex Daytona on order.

14. abrod520 Apr 4, 2018

Only time will tell, but in the 5 years that the Dark Side of the Moon line has been in production, it hasn't gained much traction with the hardcore nerds. It's a cool watch, but more of a curiosity that is apart from the historical interest in the original Speedmaster Professional.

15. repoman Apr 4, 2018

I'll say this... I like it A LOT more after ready RJ's writeup and seeing his photos.

kilofinal likes this.
  16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 14, 2018

curious to check out sales numbers by the end of the year... IMHO a watch design too far off the original classic black dial Speedmaster...
    I wonder if it will come with some goodies, as Omega did for the Speedmaster in 1968, ... when they truly inspired young & old :thumbsdown:
    (Photo: MoonwatchUniverse)
    1968_MWU_OmegaAnalyzer.jpg

Alex06, lustrousaurus and CTS-V like this.
  17. cornishgiant May 14, 2018

I loved it at first sight, if only I had the £8k or so... I do feel that the ceramic Omegas are just that bit too expensive

18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 17, 2018

About same price as the new Rolex GMT Master II :eek:

19. stefman Jun 17, 2018

Thanks for the informative article. Getting curious of what will Omega launch for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.

20. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 19, 2018

... and hit the Omega boutiques in August 2018.