Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tuesday – A True Oddity: The Omega Speedmaster Hackett

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Aug 8, 2017

[​IMG]
    You might be familiar with Hackett London, the menswear retailer from the UK. But did you know there is a Speedmaster Hackett? Hackett was founded in 1979 by Jeremy Hackett and Ashley Lloyd-Jennings. In 1983 however, they opened their first shop under the name ‘Hackett’ in Parson’s Green, London. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of that, […]

Visit Fratello Watches to read the full article.

Traveler likes this.
  2. Traveler Aug 8, 2017

Wow - great article... I've been buying Hackett clothes for years. I'd love to find one!

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 8, 2017

Interesting thing. I do not like the design at all but interesting as it's something new to me.

Anybody else see something inconsistent on this watch? Most probably replaced during the Hackettisation? :)

Robert-Jan likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 8, 2017

Looks like someone hacked it alright...

5. herold Aug 8, 2017

That is a pretty cool watch. Would love to own it once...

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 8, 2017

Wide C bezel from the 1990s?

kov likes this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 8, 2017

Well done :thumbsup:

My observations about what used to be a pre moon 145.002-69 :

- Most probably used to bear a DON bezel or accidentally a 220 misprint : replaced by one from the 90s
    - Step dial disappeared : replaced by a customized non-stepped but still T dial from the 90s
    - Premoon case back replaced by a service one, customized

I like custom stuff, still, to me it would have been nicer to keep original parts and customize them instead of losing original characteristics as they did... :thumbsdown:

At the end, only the extract reminds it's been a -69 Speedmaster one day... it's like if they'd just put a 30.xxx movement in a modded watch from the nineties. What for? ::facepalm1::

Bienne2998 and Andy K like this.
  8. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Aug 8, 2017

I thought maybe the caseback was a service part but I didn't notice the dial.

I wonder if the other 24 are all total frankens like this? Seems like a lot of work to cobble together that many vintage watches. Perhaps they just sourced as many Speedys as they could, regardless of era and some are more original than others...

9. kov Trüffelschwein. Aug 8, 2017

Thinking loud - considering the cost of a pre moon Speedmaster back in the nineties, it's probably been cheaper to refurbish some older 145.022s and mod them then buy new 3590.50s and mod :D

Still...::facepalm2::

Bienne2998 likes this.
  10. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 8, 2017

The red 2/5 o'clock markers are poorly done...its as if they just painted thick globular paint over the tritium and couldn't be bothered to scrape them off and paint them properly, which makes it even more irregular and exceed the white markings on the dial...and because its red, IMHO it stands out even more. Perhaps better in the flesh (because the eyes alone can't zoom in like the camera's can thus see these details). Glad somebody else also noticed the dial and the bezel...(and the case back)...

Edited Aug 8, 2017
  11. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 8, 2017

This is new to me but apprently they hired my 3 year old daughter to do the job on the hour markers.

Fantastic idea none the less. The OF customized Speedy is one step closer. Forget about cooperation with Omega. Just buy a bunch of Speedies, have a watchmaker remove the dials and then off to my daughter for dial work.

She does engravings too. Just a couple of weeks ago I caught her in the process of engraving the side on my mothers car with a rock from the driveway :eek:

Dash1, Traveler, Davidt and 3 others like this.