Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 24, 2018

Everything I read or anybody has read or has been told by those in the know has put the population at 1500-2000 of these rare gems

blubarb likes this.
  2. blubarb Jul 24, 2018

I have neither seen or read anything to differ from that estimate - if anything my minor research and anecdotal evidence leans towards 1500 to 2000 and if we accept approx. 500 dials removed from the pot then 1,000 - 1,500 I think RJB has already stated a figure somewhere as a guesstimate which correlates with this. Anyone found it?

3. repoman Jul 24, 2018

There are at least two of the dials with the rocket still in existence; one with the museum, and one in Jean-Claude's desk.

blubarb likes this.
  4. Sunsetamps Jul 24, 2018

Correct! And Jean Claude storing one away illustrates exactly what this watch truly means to the collector mindset as well as the future of this watch. It’s a rarity, an anomaly, and something like the Destination Moon doesn’t happen with a marquee brand like Rolex or Omega often or ever not to mention the adventurous tale that weaves all around it. Be happy to have one. One day the Destination Moon TinTin will only be viewed as magical, and other collectors will ask “how the heck did you get one?”.

Edited Jul 24, 2018
    Redbirdsfan70, Pun and blubarb like this.
  5. repoman Jul 25, 2018

Or.... Omega pumps out 10,000 more of them simply because customers will buy them... our little Tintin is neither numbered, or limited, and as we've seen just this week, even limited editions are no longer respected by Omega. I admire your enthusiasm, but Omega has done us all a little dirty recently so don't get too far out in front of your ski's on this one.

Supah, jetkins, Mtnmansa and 2 others like this.
  6. Sunsetamps Jul 25, 2018

Not going to happen for various reasons discussed in this thread . But I think you make a good point overall nonetheless. My TinTin was a gift that will never be sold. The conversation is fun and I think the more thoughts the better.

Redbirdsfan70, Pun and blubarb like this.
  7. smitty190373 Jul 25, 2018

I don't think it's that easy, plus they would risk losing ever single original owner as a future customer, but who knows.

If they had to dig up another old unlimited design they abandoned only a few years ago, it's clear they are out of ideas. I think that would have a negative effect on the Omega brand more than anything else.

Redbirdsfan70 and Pun like this.
  8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 25, 2018

They make over a million watches per year. 2,000 buyers is a drop in the bucket, I suspect.

That being said, I eagerly await a Spongebob Squarepants Speedy LE, so I can pick it up for my son. He keeps eyeing my '67 and my PCA LE, and I need to steer him away from those for a couple more decades...

JPE.88305 likes this.
  9. JPE.88305 Jul 25, 2018

lol

10. smitty190373 Jul 25, 2018

Let's get real.... the recent demand for the 'TinTin' isn't because of the chequered minute track or link to the comic book. It's because people think it will appreciate....because it is limited.

Take that away and make another unlimited run....the vast majority searching for one will soon look elsewhere.

Fomo.

Khamenman likes this.
  11. JPE.88305 Jul 25, 2018

Agree...the chequered track is an interesting pop in color, though I have no allegiance to the comic...never read it as a kid...

The potential appreciation is nice, but to be honest I just like owning things that aren't ubiquitous...I appreciate unique things that aren't spotted on every corner, from my watch to my clothes to my car to my glasses...the potential appreciation is a nice bonus but not the driving factor. It could stay valued at what I paid for it and I'd be fine...

Edited Jul 25, 2018
    Lavatoad, Watchmutt, rohnin and 2 others like this.
  12. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 25, 2018

Tintin destine to be a big dollar watch like the Snoopy
    Looks like $6k is price right now.
    I will never sell it. Just fun to speculate

13. Sunsetamps Jul 25, 2018

Multiple Snoopy Varients didn’t seem to cause much damage if any to Snoopy Limited Editions. I’ve heard from reliable sources that the TinTin situation will never happen again. Will Omega make more LE watches, sure, but there isn’t going to be a repeat of this one. Be happy you’re one of around 1500 who has one and enjoy it. Money won’t bring happiness but the TinTin will.

mokofoko, Horai551, Watchmutt and 3 others like this.
  14. smitty190373 Jul 25, 2018

I bought my tintin because I saw one at the timeforapint GTG and loved it.

But when you read about dealers hyping it up and people starting to hoard them.....that's a different story.

15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jul 25, 2018

Hoard baby hoard

16. naidanac Jul 25, 2018

The new Tokyo 2020 Speedmasters...
    Yikes.

17. naidanac Jul 25, 2018

Just wondering - did you get a chance to read the comic?

At least for me, my desire to obtain the Tintin was due to the history behind Destination Moon, Herge's brilliance in creating it, and the Speedmaster's space and lunar history.

Geeks like me have only gotten wind of the story now due to its mysterious release and initial hidden identity.
    Omega targeted the Asian market due to relabelling it part of the "racing" series where they had hoped to ride out the series' former success.

I love the watch for what it is and consider myself fortunate to get one.

It's not going anywhere.

Pun, Watchmutt, CTS-V and 1 other person like this.
  18. WurstEver Jul 25, 2018

There is another subtly different driver at play: Those who have a genuine interest in the Tintin connection find that the watch that's been on their list for a few years is suddenly becoming much more difficult and expensive to obtain. So, it goes straight to the top of the list, since waiting any longer might mean paying a significant premium down the track. This isn't simply price speculation on the part of those folks. But price speculation on the part of others plays a role by restricting the available supply, leading to the reassessment of priorities.

19. sevenhelmet Jul 25, 2018

It did seem like a sudden price jump. Pretty happy that I got in before that happened.

Mine's not going anywhere either, except for regular servicing.

Pun likes this.
  20. WurstEver Jul 26, 2018

I loved Destination Moon and Explorers on the Moon as a kid. But there's also another reason why the Tintin has been on my radar ...

IMG_20180726_171834.jpg

Go you mighty Saints!!

Tintin number 77797xxx arrived home in Melbourne today after a long and at times stressful journey around the globe. Some day, probably not soon, but someday, we will see the Sainters win the flag.