Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. Shibata Jan 22, 2017

I bought mine at my local AD. Got a great deal on it. It was in the preowned case, but it is in immaculate condition. I would question if its ever been worn.

2. xantiagib Jan 23, 2017

surely thats the manufacture date of the box and not the watch - and what if watches were swapped with boxes at the AD - no way to tell ?

3. jawkdna Jan 25, 2017

7779694x has landed...
    [​IMG]

Tristanp, CTS-V, blubarb and 7 others like this.
  4. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Jan 26, 2017

Very Cool - has a French flair to it with that Nato :D

jawkdna likes this.
  5. abmw Feb 6, 2017

Please let me know if you guys see one in So Cal. Looking for one. Thanks

jawkdna likes this.
  6. repoman Feb 6, 2017

I suggest you consider buying online... its going to be much harder to find one in SoCal. I think I saw two in Hong Kong a couple weeks ago. There are many trustworthy online sellers including international. It's all in what you are comfortable with. Either way, will keep an eye out, and welcome to the forum. Set an avatar, post in the introduction thread, and have fun.

jawkdna likes this.
  7. jawkdna Feb 7, 2017

pbender likes this.
  8. Shibata Feb 7, 2017

jawkdna likes this.
  9. abmw Feb 8, 2017

Thanks guys. Would you guys buy new or used(6months old) given the chance with a 20% difference?

jawkdna likes this.
  10. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 8, 2017

Depends on how used 'used' is. If not banged up I would not have an issue with it. My TinTin was BNIB, but my modern Speedmaster was lightly used for ~4 months when I bought it.

11. jawkdna Feb 8, 2017

Depends on several factors...
    • Condition of the used piece
    • Box & Papers included?

All things being equal I would have no problem buying used...

12. Shibata Feb 8, 2017

If the 6 month old one was bought from an AD and is in perfect condition I would personally go that route and save the 20%.

13. abmw Feb 8, 2017

Everything was included and in excellent condition. I am new to Hesalite/Acrylic crystals. Everything I own is sapphire. My biggest concern is regarding the Hesalite. I think of the scratches and also how resistant is Hesalite to chemicals. I am probably being paranoid but I always wondered what would happen if someone was spraying pesticide or filing up gas and something spilled on the Hesalite. Being plastic would the Hesalite absorb some of the chemicals? With sapphire that would never be a concern. highly unlikely but something I wonder about

14. Greatpa Feb 8, 2017

I do not know about the chemicals, but here are some points to consider:

Hesalite
    - Will get scratched up easier.
    - Is easy/cheap to polish.
    - Is cheap to get replaced.
    - Does not (to my knowledge) damage the movement, when shattered.

Sapphire
    - Will not get scratched (all though they chip off in cases).
    - You cannot polish or remove scratches from sapphire.
    - Sapphire is relatively expensive to replace.
    - When shattered, glass will (very likely) fall into the movement and damage it. The movement will in almost every case need a full service to prevent further damage.

jawkdna likes this.
  15. madhatter77 Feb 8, 2017

More likely sapphire in case it shatters will damage the dial and hands, leave them exposed ...
    Plexi mostly just leaves a crack.

16. Greatpa Feb 9, 2017

Correct, the sapphire glass might also damage til hands and dial. If you sent a watch with a broken sapphire crystal to an autherized service center, they will execute a full service/complete overhaul. This is to ensure that no glass is in the movement after replacing the crystal.

madhatter77 likes this.
  17. jB1128 Feb 9, 2017

CTS-V and jawkdna like this.
  18. MTROIS Feb 9, 2017

19. abmw Feb 9, 2017

Thanks for the heads up guys. I ended up ordering one from Yeo Kim Choy. Cant wait for it to arrive. A speedmaster was the last thing on my mind but when I randomnly saw a pic of the Tintin I couldnt stop tninking about it. Its those damn red and white checkered pattern that I really like. Features wise I prefer autos, diver bezel, screwdown crown, sapphire, and date. Everything thiscwatch doesnt have but I still wanted it. Go figure.

solesman, jB1128, xantiagib and 2 others like this.
  20. jB1128 Feb 9, 2017

You will not be disappointed. I love my Tintin - @yeo kim choy is another highly regarded seller on the forum. Congrats!