Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 3, 2016

Nothing for 3 weeks, and then bam--a deluge.

XaVi likes this.
  2. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 3, 2016

Well that's a good way to start off your first posting. I want to know who got number 77.777.777.

I thought they stopped allowing Tintins to be ordered from Omega as of march 16th? I guess they still have a small stockpile for sale.

superbilk likes this.
  3. XaVi Apr 3, 2016

TinTin speedy is more alive than ever!!

mokofoko likes this.
  4. superbilk Apr 3, 2016

I just checked, they called there and ordered on March, 23rd.

mokofoko likes this.
  5. xantiagib Apr 4, 2016

It is to be expected - we are giving it more exposure (and on other forums I see it too) and the demand has peaked a bit
    snapping up the left overs and ordering from Omega.

Hopefully not enough demand for omega to produce more casebacks and dials...

mokofoko likes this.
  6. XaVi Apr 4, 2016

I guess Omega are quite serious and if they discontinue a model means the model is firmly discontinued otherwise it would be frustrating. As much as i look at the TinTin as more i enjoy this watch that has been more than one year with me. Initially i thought that i might regreat the adquisition but today i can't be more happy with it!

mokofoko likes this.
  7. MTROIS Apr 5, 2016

I am just a bit confused about the orders placed with Omega. When I checked with an Omega boutique about 4-5 months ago, they had clearly told me that the model was discontinued and that they had none left in their inventory.

Do we believe that Omega made another batch based on (popular) demand?

I know it is not a Limited Edition, but just seems a bit surprising after I was told they were gone.

Anyhow, I do know that there are still s few out there at ADs and I am surely enjoying mine every day!

xantiagib and mokofoko like this.
  8. MTROIS Apr 5, 2016

I clearly did not have the same will power as you... But don't regret it one bit because 1- needed to change a bit from the 1958/1998 bracelet design and 2- the snoopy strap is top quality and comfort.

superbilk likes this.
  9. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 6, 2016

Seems unlikely that they'd have started up production again. Look at Superbilks post on the previous page--he ordered 2 weeks ago straight through Omega, and his was in the 77.777.1xx range... meaning that was from the original allotment of cases. If they were starting up production after stopping it, you'd think that the most recent sold would fall outside the known range of serials. Mine was purchased last year and is at the very end of the known range for tintins... The old, leftover cases, you'd think they'd have taken the remaining pieces and allocated them elsewhere (it has apparently been nearly 2 years since they stopped making these).

Unless they kept a whole bunch of extra dials, they'd have to create more, which would be a bit silly.

blubarb likes this.
  10. Baz9614 Apr 9, 2016

There is a Speedy TinTin at the Raffi Jewllers in the Conestoga mall in Waterloo Ontario Canada if anyone is looking. Just looked at it 30mins ago.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 9, 2016

How much?

12. Baz9614 Apr 9, 2016

Sorry, I didn't ask ::facepalm2:: I was more interested a Speedy 57 that I really shouldn't be looking at! :whistling:

oddboy likes this.
  13. JasonL Apr 9, 2016

77.797.7xx I received mine on Thursday.

14. blubarb Apr 12, 2016

Sold but they can get one with MSRP CAD $4800. (This is the last one from the Omega home ship as well, they say)

oddboy and mokofoko like this.
  15. uwsearch Apr 15, 2016

End of 2014 I visited an Omega boutique in Switzerland and asked about "Tintin". They didn't know that model ha ha and after a phone call, they told me it was sold out and no way to get it any more..
    I asked my favorite Omega reseller who could get it... it was sold out in Switzerland but Omega could have one back from the "outside market".. It took about a month to get it. Paid $3000. Serial number 777959XX

Btw a friend of mine is working for a dial maker that made 400 pieces only. Other dialmaker probably produced other batches, but overall production number is very low.

On the first edition of "explorers of the moon":

[​IMG]

mokofoko, XaVi, blubarb and 1 other person like this.
  16. larryganz The cable guy Apr 16, 2016

The one time I had a deposit on a Tin Tin I quickly changed my mind and took the refund and bought my GSOTM (last September). I've been on a roll buying watches since then, and there always seems to be something I like more. My 18 year old son has a lot of opinions for what watches look good on me, and he vetoed the Tin Tin. For a young one he has a fairly refined taste, and loves things like my NOMOS Timeless Midnight Limited Edition, and wears an SMP Bond quartz daily. It's a fun looking watch that I should have someday, but I just can't seem to make it a priority.

mokofoko and XaVi like this.
  17. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Apr 16, 2016

Larry - I'm the same. I think it's because I like the 'idea/association' of the watch rather than the pure 'look' of it. I've been looking at the 'racing' dials on 70s Speedmasters and other chronographs of the era and I think those rendered the chequers just that little bit better. If the current Tintin had that exact look, I'd have celebrated buying mine months ago!

mokofoko likes this.
  18. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 16, 2016

How it's presented makes a real difference I think. It has a good looking dial, but I can understand why some people think it's an eyesore. With the original bracelet, the dial stands out a bit too much. But with a nice red/black strap it's even nicer to look at. I was partial to pairing with a red/black nato strap, but the darn thing kept sliding around my wrist. I've finally settled on a generic black rubber strap with white stitching (I may carefully change it to RED stitching with a fine-tip pen) and I couldn't be happier.

19. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 16, 2016

You actually called and checked? :eek: Too bad I can't rep more for the effort.
    You got quite a good price considering it was 1.5 years ago.

Can you expand on the bit about dial making? You're saying they produced dials for some company, and that they placed orders for more through other vendors? I'm assuming you're not talking about this specific model of dial... I assume that Omega makes all of their dials in-house.

20. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 16, 2016

davy26 likes this.