Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. blubarb Sep 8, 2019

"They are made from real Omega parts, so in the respect they are real Omegas (note that there are fake parts out there also) and Omega does allow for conversions from one watch to another if the movements are the same." Going from your quoted comment, I am assuming that you are assigning the word Franken watch to any watch that is not built at factory but can still (in a sense) be a real Omega?

I have long thought that a Frankenwatch was made from a number of parts pulled from different watches (even fake or incorrect parts). Are you saying that WatchCo SM300s are also Frankenwatches? I guess they are because they are removed from the factory production line - but as you say they are in "respect real Omegas". Perhaps it's a more pejorative term, best kept for watches that use a variety of non original and even fake parts to make the whole, but I see your point by accepting a differemt definition (see below). It seems that the word Frankenwatch has become a catchall phrase. To me a Frankenwatch has been the watch where you "...you have a dial from one model, hands from another, and it’s built up from random parts.”

"So a Frankenwatch, in the truest sense, isn’t one that’s been faked or a genuine watch that’s had a part replaced. Instead, think of it as a watch that’s been put together in a configuration that would have never come from the factory. Collectors often frown upon these because in watch collecting — like in vintage car collecting — buyers overwhelmingly want to own a piece that’s as close to the watch that originally came out of the factory decades ago. As such, having a full original watch means you can command a higher price on the vintage market.

But here’s the thing: an unoriginal Frankenwatch can often be had at a lower price, and in decent shape, to boot. Think of a classic car that’s had an engine swap, or has been fitted with aftermarket parts over the years to keep running. It may not garner a higher premium at auction, but at the end of the day, you can have a fun, good-looking machine that functions. And since a Frankenwatch is unlike any of the watches originally manufactured en masse, your piece is more unique. What’s wrong with any of that?

Well, nothing inherently, but the problem with Frankenwatches is that their sellers are often less than forthright. “When they’re not disclosed, I think that’s really what gives them the bad name — when people try to command the same price as an original piece,” says Pardo. Given that, whether or not you’re looking for an original piece, or you’re okay with owning a Frankenwatch, being able to spot one is key to getting the best value for your money." (Gear Patrol https://gearpatrol.com/2018/12/02/what-is-a-frankenwatch/)

Edited Sep 9, 2019
  2. blubarb Sep 9, 2019

I often wear mine with the Snoopy Strap. Works for me.

3. blubarb Sep 9, 2019

Isn't this what happens in the watch world, shifting ideas and opinions define and change future ideas and values. There are many Omega & Rolex watches that when "judged on their initial merits" were simply not popular, eg: The Explorer II (Steve McQueen), the Rolex Reference 6234 chronograph Daytona (discontinued in 1961), the Heuer Monaco and the list goes on and I haven't even thought of the Speedy LEs that I passed on when no-one wanted them but would kill for now (so to speak) :D

rbob99 and Skipper_S like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2019

Yes, that's exactly what I said...and what you quoted me saying.

For anyone who's interested (and so I don't have to wade through pages and pages to find it again), this is the sales listing under discussion:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/o...nal-moonwatch-tintin-racing-dial-5028199.html

It's listed with the TinTin reference number and it says that the serial number of the movement is in the TinTin range. However when I check that serial number on the Omega Extranet, it does not come up with the TinTin watch reference - it comes up as "no results found".

I think by any definition of the word, this is a frankenwatch. To put it more in OF terms, if someone tried to sell you a vintage 321 Speedmster, that was all correct on the outside, but used a 321 Seamaster movement, would that be a franken? I don't think anyone here would argue that it's not. The parts may all be genuine, but this is not a TinTin...

Cheers, Al

Pun, Ree and davy26 like this.
  5. Skipper_S Sep 9, 2019

Hello!

English is not my mother's tongue and iam not having a proficiency in English either BUT after reading the listing under duscussion (https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/o...nal-moonwatch-tintin-racing-dial-5028199.html) its obvious to me that its not the "original" TINTIN Speedmaster!

This outcome comes from the words used:

a) The subject/title of the listing: "Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch with "Tintin" Racing Dial"
    with "Tintin" Racing Dial means its obvious not a TinTin

b) "This is a new LWC build Tintin"

I dont think he is trying to misinform buyers.

I would just go and edit the listing a bit. Maybe deleting the Tintin reference part and delete the "serial number is in the Tintin range"

frazierspa and Fabien like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2019

To me, those two things are the most problematic in the listing...

frazierspa and Fabien like this.
  7. ScrewDownCrown Sep 9, 2019

Hi folks,

Is someone still collecting Tintin watch numbers? I got a tintin recently, 777804XX ... fwiw.

Cheers!

frazierspa and xantiagib like this.
  8. blubarb Sep 9, 2019

Can you pm me the full number - thanks!

ScrewDownCrown likes this.
  9. ScrewDownCrown Sep 9, 2019

Done, cheers!

10. ScrewDownCrown Sep 9, 2019

Would you mind sharing some pics on the snoopy strap? Thanks!

11. blubarb Sep 9, 2019

As you asked :D

IMG_6678.JPG IMG_6677.JPG IMG_6676.JPG IMG_6674.JPG IMG_6675.JPG

MTROIS, frazierspa, CTS-V and 5 others like this.
  12. ScrewDownCrown Sep 9, 2019

13. blubarb Sep 9, 2019

Yeah, not inexpensive - but well worth it! Quality and look of the strap and deployant is awesome.

14. pascs Sep 9, 2019

The quality of the snoopy strap ( and the Aston Aqua Terra strap, the same strap but with dark grey stitching) are really nice and have a high quality feel to them.

blubarb and ScrewDownCrown like this.
  15. rmcard Sep 13, 2019

I have a Snoopy strap on my non-TinTin Speedy, and it often elicits stares from people in the elevator as they try to get a look at the watch face to see if its a snoopy (we share an elevator bank with a fancy private equity firm where expensive watches are the norm). I generally don't let them get a clean look. I had a metal bracelet and the rally strap before this, and the Snoopy strap by far is the most comfortable and convenient.

16. ScrewDownCrown Sep 13, 2019

I've placed the order and this just made me even more excited to get it!! Thanks - and have a great weekend!

frazierspa likes this.
  17. sbac Sep 18, 2019

hey good to see @blubarb removed all references to tintin in the listing.

(and that gearpatrol article is a horrible explainer - should never compare anything to the vintage car market as the tribal wars there make watch collectors look positively agreeable)

frazierspa likes this.
  18. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Sep 18, 2019

Assuming it is the same LWC build on eBay listed as a Tintin. At about $2800 American right now.

293228727235 EBay item number. This sale is posted by LewisWatchCo. I did have a bid. Still might depending on number, now that I have a complete understanding.

blubarb likes this.
  19. naidanac Sep 19, 2019

I lucked in to an original once-mounted Tintin dial.

The previous owner had a Tintin and converted it to a Gemini IV - he then sold the watch, but the buyer wanted to save a few dollars by not taking the loose dial.

Somewhere out there, a Gemini IV conversion with a red writing caseback is floating around.

frazierspa likes this.
  20. blubarb Sep 19, 2019

The things some watch buyers do...I wonder if that Gemini IV owner ever wishes he had bought that dial :D