Forums Latest Members

Speedy Tintin information gathering

1. nonono Dec 9, 2018

Been eyeing that one for a while. Like you said I think the price is very reasonable. But no box or papers :(

2. dk77 Dec 9, 2018

I was reluctant on commenting this, since there seem to be 2 opposing camps, the tintin "I love it and will keep it no matter what" and the other camp " if it goes high enough I'll sell, lets keep an eye on those sales". It seems any talk about prices gets automatically people cranked up.

Truth is, in one year this watch got the attention of the collector community, and prices rose, without any major websites picking on this. Fratello last wrote on this model in 2016, other major webs did not mention it ever. I think real prices will be fixed after one of those mainstream webs, picks up on the shift this model had thru 2018, and get the model viral.

All that is while omega floods the market with one LE after the other. Next year its 50 years to the lunar landing, I cant even imagine the shxxxt we'll have to put up with from LE'wise. Just earlier this year 5 models of LE for japan (trunking the original ones), ST2 and Hodinkee, LE. So having a true non LE, low production is a bit more interesting. We all know most of the LE will go to flippers and dealers anyway. The Tintin is a low volume production, that I believe most of it is private hands.

I do expect some bump in prices once it goes viral.

3. nonono Dec 9, 2018

I concur with your points. With the number of "Official" limited edition models being released by omega, it only makes sense that an "anomoly" like the tintin would truly represent "limited edition" more than the newer models being released by omega. My personal experience trying to secure the st2 was akin to a sh*t show. I cannot see the tintin prices going any lower. Like you mentioned earlier, one viral article, and the prices will start to increase again.. Just my humble 2¢

Skipper_S and Pun like this.
  4. Redbirdsfan70 Dec 9, 2018

I think we had the viral article in the late spring when Wei Koh from Revolution watch did that article about it being the next potential Paul Newman Daytona. I had been tracking to get myself one for my birthday in July and was looking around and prices were decent then this article from Revolution came out and the prices started climbing. When I started looking into the Tintin in November 2017 prices were pretty reasonable.

https://www.revolution.watch/could-...42-30-01-004-be-the-next-paul-newman-daytona/

5. dk77 Dec 9, 2018

With all due respect, I think he went overboard comparing this watch to one of the most sought after watches in the industry. I mean something more down to earth, in major watch media like Hodinkee, ABTW, Fratello or Watchtime.

6. Redbirdsfan70 Dec 9, 2018

I thought his comparison to the Paul Newman Daytona was premature and a bit of click bait. But I think there is a correlation to his article and an uptick in the value of the Tintin. Prior to that article, I was finding pre-owned pieces and some NOS for $4000 USD and under all day. I was trying to get a good pre-owned one with box and papers for about $3300 at the time. Then his article came out and suddenly everything was at or above $5000 USD. I was lucky in late June to get a NOS one with box and papers for $4500 USD. Now, look at the prices. I think there is some correlation there.

robinhook, Pun and DWash like this.
  7. SpeedyTomorrow Dec 10, 2018

Here’s a lesson in what not to do with an Omega Speedmaster TinTin. My mistake a week back.

I get a call from a Rolex dealer that is around 3 hours away. I put in my name years back for a BLNR Batman on a work trip and forgot. To my surprise I get the call and I’m short on cash.

I offer my used Speedmaster TinTin in trade. Jokingly mind you. Not expecting the response. $8000 if I have the box and papers. I did have the box and papers.

I drive out there thinking this must be a mistake. No way is this watch already $8000. Well... A few hours later I own a Rolex BLNR Batman that cost me around $2k and a TinTin.

I drive home like I robbed a bank.

I then get home, find this thread and all the Omega TinTin articles and I’m full of regret.

Then about a week later rumor has it that the Batman is now discontinued so I’m even more conflicted. I don’t want to undo my trade but damn I regret letting go of the TinTin. I truly don’t want to wait when these are $15-$16,000 or more and I realize I can’t wait. I started selling a few things around the house on eBay and I’ve started looking at my lesser worn watches.

Here’s my issue, I just do not ever want to wear a previously worn watch. I need New Old Stock. I personally do not bond with previously worn watches. But it seems on the used market the TinTin is no longer possible NOS. I might not have an option but to buy a previously worn watch but again it has no appeal to me.

My hope is that I sell a few things and save up and get lucky and find an unworn TinTin. I might be dreaming but my dreams keep me working hard.

If you own a TinTin Cherish it. Something crazy is happening with this watch.

Nice to join and be a small part of this crazy subject and discussion. Cheers all!

8. rmcard Dec 10, 2018

I think I'm the likely purchaser of this particular watch (if I have the right auction). I kind of bid on it in a impulsively in a tired stupor thinking it would probably jump above $6800 at the last minute and then - it didn't. So here I am. The "private listing" thing kind of sketched me out after the fact because I wondered if I was bidding against myself, but I have been looking for one for some time and conditioned myself that I would jump if a complete set came up in the right range. The condition was as advertised and the seller was a legitimate collector who took very good care of the watch and the box/papers/etc. So I'm pleased in that sense. It arrived the next day. It really is a beautiful watch and I'm half regretting that i didn't buy it originally in lieu of my run-of-the-mill Speedmaster (which is great, but relatively ordinary in comparison) earlier this year to be my daily driver. I think you're probably seeing a settling down in the prices as everyone jumps in to sell at the height of the market. I doubt it will drop significantly from here, but I think those sitting at $9k and above are just reflecting a brief mania as everyone realized the supply of unsold was gone and the watch was relatively rare. I suspect it will stay in this range for a bit now.

9. rmcard Dec 10, 2018

There are 3 NOS TinTins I found for sale over the weekend in the UK. Still in the plastic. The ask is around 7250 pounds, which is something like a little over $9k at the current conversion rate. Let me know if you want the link.

10. sgrossma Dec 10, 2018

I think the Batman will probably just be re-released with a new reference number and updated movement in early 2019.

11. smitty190373 Dec 10, 2018

The Tintin shot up pretty quickly over the last 4-5 months whilst still being reasonably available....

I wonder what will happen when collectors start holding onto them and the supply dries up some what ::popcorn::

Redbirdsfan70, xantiagib and Pun like this.
  12. mokofoko One sad panda Dec 10, 2018

$8k would be on the high-end for a sale. It was trade-in credit though, so not as eye-popping as I first thought. Still, I'm surprised dealers are offering that much when private sellers are still having problems offloading used sets in the $6k-range...

Edited Dec 10, 2018
    robinhook, Khamenman and kilofinal like this.
  13. kilofinal Dec 10, 2018

True, used Tin Tin's are still available. I don't see them being snapped up as soon as they go on sale

14. BLAUGRANA Dec 11, 2018

Watch is sold.

15. nonono Dec 11, 2018

Wow, I thought buyers would be particular about the fact that it doesn't come with papers or box

The Father likes this.
  16. rmcard Dec 11, 2018

There's an absolute correlation. People on ebay will include a site to that article when describing the watch. It reminds me a little of this POS stock I bought in 1999 when someone asked Bill Gates for 10 stocks that could be the next Microsoft and the stock shot up like 10X that day and is now trading for like $1.50/share 20 years later. However, unlike this stock, this watch is beautiful and worthy of the praise (if still prob a little bit of a bubble). I'm glad I now have one.

17. Mr Curta Dec 11, 2018

The only relevance of this image regarding the tread title is the information that the V-2 was Hergé's inspiration for the rocket in the Tintin lunar adventures. I was pleased recently to be able to bring the watch and missile together for a photo opportunity.

I'm also amazed at how the value of this timepiece has, ahem, rocketed.

[​IMG]

18. BLAUGRANA Dec 11, 2018

I figured it wouldn't last long. I think it was with box too, but not papers.

The Father likes this.
  19. SpeedyTomorrow Dec 12, 2018

I appreciate all the replies. I went back to my Rolex AD and had my Batman Sized. The TinTin was gone. The owner is a fan of the watch and is keeping it. I think all involved got a good deal. It’s a fun hobby to be a part of. Batman is now discontinued as well. It was an exciting transaction.

However I’ll be adding back a TinTin. I’ve had an email since my post with someone offering me theirs at $11,500!!!!

I’m broke as of this moment but sometime in February I’ll be a buyer for a NOS unworn TinTin. Till then a FOIS will pick up the slack.

20. purplehoney1976 Dec 12, 2018

I just sold one NOS for USD 7400 last month at C24,You are selling at a great price already...

I have one used for sale right now,but dont want sell out through C24 again!