Forums Latest Members
  1. Antipode2019_ Feb 10, 2020

Good morning, I've had my speedy for about 6 months now, watch runs very well. I've run it on the toolwatch app a few times with very little +/-

I set the watch last night about 9pm to the correct time, as I do roughly once a month.

I woke this morning about 5am and happened to notice that it lost 5 minutes overnight.

I just reset it then and since 5am it has lost another minute or so.

I'm very conscious of the watch being magnetised and am sure to keep it away from anything as best I can.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause or am I making a trip to Omega on my day off tomorrow.

Thanks and Regards

2. Donn Chambers Feb 10, 2020

Are you absolutely sure you set it properly last night? Because every time my watch has suddenly been either 5 minutes fast or slow, I set it earlier. Upon resetting it and timing the watch, I could not replicate the “failure”.

In other words, I set it to the wrong time the night before. It’s a common mistake - no matter how certain you are you set it properly, it’s easy to be five minutes off.

set it again, take a photo with the watch against another time source to prove it was right, then see if it happens again.

I bet it won’t.

3. Buck2466 Feb 10, 2020

It would run fast not slow if it were magnetized.

4. PhilF Feb 10, 2020

If your Speedmaster is that far off, and it's under warranty, time to take advantage of the factory service. Don't agonize over it, just do it.

5. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 10, 2020

I don't own any hand crankers so I'm not versed on the rituals but with automatics, sometimes they get low on reserve without you realizing it. Typically, as a watch runs down it speeds up a little and then slows down dramatically. Could it be a reserve issue.

I'd keep an eye on it and if it's repeatable, time to send it in.

6. Duckie Feb 10, 2020

Exactly:thumbsup:

It's got all the hallmarks of being operator error.
    Just like the principals behind measure twice and cut once. So many times someone has quickly measured something and cut it exactly to the mark only for it to be exactly 10 or 100 mm out.

It's a common mistake when setting a watch;)

7. Antipode2019_ Feb 11, 2020

The craziest thing happened.

I reset it and it's miraculously running perfectly again.

Nothing to do with operator error whatsoever (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Feb 11, 2020

Not necessarily, but modern Omega movements do.

Tom

9. Dan S Feb 11, 2020

I do this all the time. :oops:

10. Donn Chambers Feb 12, 2020

Happens to the best of us. Glad that was the only problem.