Forums Latest Members
  1. haganaga Feb 10, 2018

Hi folks,

Longtime listener, first time caller. I have a Speedy Pro and a Nomos Orion 38 that make up 95% of my wrist time. Also have two Seikos (SKX009, SARB033), a Casio 5610 and an Apple Watch that’s only used for exercise.

I’m seriously considering a blue SMPc (and would sell the SKX) but I’m a little worried it won’t get much wear since the Speedy excels at, well, pretty much everything except really dressy and my Nomos covers that. If you were in my shoes, would you go with an SMPc for the causal/weekender watch or let the Speedy cover that and find something more office like to sit between the Nomos and Speedy.

Thanks!

2. Jking something intelligent and witty... Feb 10, 2018

Honestly it depends. How often are you dressed up? Imo your Nomos is a good dress option so having a speedy pro and and smpc as your other options would be perfect. Perhaps one day upgrade the Nomos to a seamaster AT or a Rolex E1 to have that dress watch/go anywhere do anything option and you’d be set. No matter what take pics and post them here when you pull the trigger on something. Good luck!

haganaga likes this.
  3. Meme-Dweller Feb 10, 2018

Sell the SKX so that you can justify adding a dive watch :)

haganaga and Jking like this.
  4. haganaga Feb 10, 2018

I’m in a suit a few times a month but my typical week is nice slacks/dress shirt 2-3 days a week (wearing the Nomos), chinos/button down 1-2 days then jeans Friday (both wearing the Speedy). So the Nomos and Speedy really cover me pretty well.

Another option I’m considering is upgrading the Nomos to a Reverso but I really like the Nomos and that SMPc keeps calling to me. I just want to be sure if I get it, it doesn’t sit in the watchbox only getting worn when I go, “hmmm, haven’t worn that for a while. Guess I should put it on.” (like I do now with my SKX).

5. haganaga Feb 10, 2018

Also, I’m expecting the SMPc to get an upgrade, with a corresponding price hike, this year so I have a short window to get one while they’re still reasonably priced. Might not happen but the stars seem aligned for it.

6. larryganz The cable guy Feb 10, 2018

I don't see any reason for him to sell the NOMOS for an AT or Explorer - maybe for an ALS or Patek someday. But the Speedy and the SMPc make a great combo of semi-dress-casual watch + a sport-water and fun watch.

PS: I don't have too nice dress watches because I don't dress up - I'm a jeans and T-shirt guy with hiking boots, maybe occasionally khakis and a polo shirt with Merril mocs. I'm not sure I have dress pants or a suit that fits anymore - I want to burn my last 4 ties. So I'm not in a rush for an ALS, JLC, or Patek yet.

ctime3 and haganaga like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 10, 2018

Everyone that sells an SKX buys another...

Perfect do anything watch where you never have to worry.

Panych, duc and haganaga like this.
  8. larryganz The cable guy Feb 10, 2018

Yeah, it's a pretty ubiquitous diver. I have a 22 year old SKX009, a 5 year old SKX173, and a NIB SKX007 just to complete the collection. I sold my 1st 007 around 2005 when we were buying a new house, but ended up with another just in case they got discontinued in favor of the new turtles.

But they don't keep time nearly as well as my Turtles or my Swiss watches. I wore my SKX173 at my son's eagle scout project as a beater watch (chipping the crystal during some landscaping) and it's a little sentimental now. When I had it serviced they replaced the crystal because I didn't say anything, but whatever.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 10, 2018

Let’s see the wabi on your very early SKX!

10. larryganz The cable guy Feb 11, 2018

This is all I have for now - My SKX173 modded with Yobokies dial, bezel, and hands (and lume shot). Then an older shot of the whole collection, with all three SKX watches up front, and then a close up of the three SKX watches.

The old SKX009 is getting faded from age. With the SKX173 I kept the old crystal, dial, bezel, and hands to restore to original later.

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

sah likes this.
  11. larryganz The cable guy Feb 11, 2018

PS: The SMP's are in back the left box front row, and the Speedy's are in the back right box in the front row.

12. haganaga Feb 11, 2018

Here’s a question on the SMPc. What’s the chance of damaging the crown or date mechanism if I’m having to wind and set it at the beginning of every weekend, since the power reserve will surely run out every week.

13. 67ViP Feb 11, 2018

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't do it between 10:00pm and 02:00am.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2018

Nope

15. Speedy_Gonzales Feb 11, 2018

I thought that was only a problem with Seiko watches. Something to do with a plastic date changing mechanism breaking due to stress between these times. Didn't know that was the case with most watches.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 11, 2018

A lot of movements have this issue. I’m not sure all Omega movements do though. The manual for the watch should state if it is.

17. Shailor Feb 11, 2018

I bought my Speedmaster Professional in 1992 and for 25 years was my daily wearer. Meaning work where I wear a suit. In April I took it in for service and while there, tried on both black and blue SMPc's. I went with the blue and it has become my daily wearer. My favorite, though, is my Speedmaster. It comes out on special occasions.

IMG_0384.JPG
  18. schmitza Feb 13, 2018

Juat go for a smpc!
    Just bought a black one and honestly, its like the same size as the skx but better!
    And get the adjusteble clasp for it aswell and then its the perfect watch!

haganaga likes this.
  19. bigwalleye Feb 13, 2018

I had the same dilemma, especially because my speedy has the same style bracelet. I spend a fair amount of time on the water so Seamaster got added.

Found this Titanium one. Sets it apart from my other watches

[​IMG]

khd and haganaga like this.
  20. haganaga Nov 30, 2018

Update on this thread I started almost 10 months ago.

I finally did it! Couldn’t be happier to have this piece. Over the last 10 months I went back and forth on a number of pieces but I always came back to this one. I decided to pull the trigger because these will all be gone before too long. I prefer it over the new version for a number of reasons (He valve, smaller size, cleaner/less busy dial, applied logo, traditional date location, and the cost, though cost was really the lowest priority, I just wanted the right watch for me). Got it from my local AD who has always been good to me.

I bought this watch to commemorate the birth of my second, and final, child (both girls). When my first was born I got the Speedy to mark the occasion and now I have the Seamaster to commemorate her sister. I’m a very blessed man and could not be happier. Here’s a wrist shot and the collection as it will stand for at least 3 years (wife made me promise ). So I’ll be signing off these forums for a while. No need to invite temptation. Thanks to you all. Though I’ve only posted a few times here I’ve read a ton and learned a lot so thank you so much. Have a safe and happy holiday season everyone!

B9CDB3C2-F39C-4600-9FCF-F165AEC88C30.jpeg 2752F70D-8FBE-4DCD-B2E9-239AB33847A5.jpeg
    Edited Nov 30, 2018