Forums Latest Members
  1. gdupree Sep 27, 2017

Hey guys,

At the suggestion of several forum members, I took my ‘74 speedy into Atelier in houston to have it looked over and serviced. Today I get a call from them for my estimate, most of which is par-for-the-course, however they say there are a few things that HAVE to be replaced or they won’t touch it:

A) Crystal. they’re saying that the crystal has to be removed to do any work to the movement whatsoever, and that it will break when removing it, therefore it must be replaced. I expressed that it’s the original crystal and that I don’t want it replaced, but they insist that the movement cannot be serviced without replacing the crystal.

B) The original start/stop pusher must be replaced. This is more understandably for water resistance, but I am less concerned with that than I am originality. However it’s all or nothing. They won’t not replace it.

C) New crown for same reasons as above.

They were pretty grumpy at me insisting that they don’t refinish the case at all, but reluctantly agreed. But still insist that the crystal, crown, and pusher must be replaced. I told them I didn’t want that but will give it a thought and get back to them. Any advice on what I should do? I’m sure they’re right about the crown/pusher in terms of water resistance, but they HAVE to remove the crystal? I don’t understand that. I want it to be as waterproof as possible, but we all know i’m not getting the thing wet regardless, and I’m very hesitant to replace things if not needed (the crystal at least seems unnecessary). They came highly recommended - should I let them do it, or are they not the guys for the job?

2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 27, 2017

Find someone else, there is no way the crystal needs to be removed for a movement service.

Etp095 likes this.
  3. abrod520 Sep 27, 2017

Agree that the crystal does not need to be replaced in order to perform a movement service - the Speedmaster is not a front-load design and the movement comes right out the back of it without involving the crystal at all. Sounds like they're trying to upsell you on a part.

There are watchmakers who refuse to service a watch unless it will pass waterproofing tests etc. in order to cover themselves for liability, regardless of whether or not you'll waive that liability in order to preserve originality. There's nothing wrong with this practice in the grand scheme of things, but outfits like these are best avoided for vintage work since you want to preserve it.

What is a problem is the insistence on polishing the case. It's totally unnecessary for functionality and again, suggests that they'd like to upsell you on what I am sure is a highly-marked-up couple minutes of labor.

+1 on find someone else

Etp095 likes this.
  4. Sherbie Sep 27, 2017

Hal Martins have a great watchmaker, (James Huff), who does vintage rolex and omega. They are on Westheimer Rd, just west of the Galleria. Worth a discussion?

Ps Not related, just a happy customer over the past 4 years

5. gdupree Sep 28, 2017

Thanks guys! This is what I was thinking, but the guy was so insistent that I started questioning myself. I couldn't think of any possible reason that that crystal would need to come out. But the more I questioned, the more insistent he became that "sir these things MUST be done..."

That is actually about two blocks from Atelier. I will give them a call see how they will handle it. Much appreciated.

6. Damo Sep 28, 2017

Must be done - as in £££/$$$ for them. As others have said, take it elsewhere.

7. Ninja2789 Sep 28, 2017

Anytime when you’re asking for “non-standard” stuff (I.e DONT refinish the case) I would walk away.

All it takes is for someone to ignore/forget special instructions for you to lose a priceless example.

8. Kwijibo Sep 28, 2017

complete bullshit. The crystal does not need to be removed unless you want to give it a thourough polishing. if they can only break it when removing it, they're f... bad. If the pusher works and you don't need some extrem dustproof, same thing. As for the crown, be careful not to be put on a new one different from the original.
    and if someon tells you, "I'm going to put a brand new dial and bezel, don't worry" run away, especially if they don't intend giving you back the old parts;
    My watchmaker take 250 euros for service + 40 euros for a perfect crystal polishing.

Edited Sep 28, 2017
  9. gdupree Sep 28, 2017

They wanted approx $650 for the whole thing.

At the risk of seeming like a complete anal pr*ck, I actually typed out a bullet list of exactly what I did and did not want done to it and instructed the note to be given to the technician. Item #1, in bold, was that I do not want the case refinished, or any parts replaced that are not essential to the mechanical function of the watch. I watched the guy read it over when I dropped it off, but apparently he either didn't care or didn't remember by the response that I got.

I'll see what Hal Martin say at the suggestion of @Sherbie. If others have any knowledge of servicers in Houston, I'd be happy to hear about them.

10. thatonewatchdude Sep 28, 2017

If you would like bring it by Omega at the galleria, we can see how to help accordingly.

11. gdupree Sep 28, 2017

Thanks! I've been in there many times browsing, and have talked to several that work there. Wonder if we've met! I just dropped it off at Hal Martin's to get an estimate. Talked to the watchmaker directly, who seemed legit. He was as insistent as I was that it be kept original wherever possible, and dropped a few facts that let me know he understands speedy's well. We'll see.... If it doesn't work out, perhaps i'll give the omega boutique a shot.

12. gdupree Sep 28, 2017

Just had to add my parting frustration with Atelier:

When I went to pick up the watch after declining their moderately ridiculous requirements, the older gentleman that works there had the fortitude to ask me how much I paid for it, to with I told him, and he proceeded to scoff at it and tell me how worthless the watch was. Why, you may ask? Because the seals are bad. It "leaks like a seive," in his words... An all correct, good condition, vintage Speedmaster that is still keeping time at about +1 second per day - worthless in his eyes.

He went on to say that he can buy them every day of the week for $800, do a little work one them and they're like new. I need to know where he's getting his speedmasters! I politely replied "mhm..." to just about everything he said, and went on my way.

Edited Nov 10, 2017
  13. thatonewatchdude Sep 28, 2017

I am curious if we have hmmmm.. yeah hal martins is a reputable jeweler in the city, keep me posted how it goes. Any pics of your speedy?

14. mikesspeedy Sep 29, 2017

Shocking! I do not understand why they would behave like this, You cannot be the first (unlucky) client and they must know that eventually a dissatisfied client WILL post their experience on forums such as this. How do they expect others of us to try them IF we are reading posts such as these. Satisfied clients posting positive reviews will surly bring more business.

15. gdupree Sep 29, 2017

Here are a couple shots, but sadly neither are too great. Here’s the best I got, along with a not-as-great shot, but with the correct 1171/633 bracelet that has actually grown on me a ton since getting it.

7B5E20F0-07A7-45BC-A5CD-E154B87EBA23.jpeg 9CBCDE4D-2A5A-4EC6-A51D-F3AF41111E97.jpeg

murph likes this.
  16. gdupree Oct 2, 2017

Got my estimate back from Hal Martin's for the service to my speedy. This is what they've now sent me:

- Proceed with necessary service: $1130.00(itemization listed below)
    ·COA (Cleaning, Oil & Adjustment, Gaskets)-$765
    ·Crown- $95
    ·Stem- $75
    ·Crystal- $195

Higher than what I was expecting. Obviously I don't want to replace any of the above ideally, but it sounds like they think it is truly necessary. Thoughts?

17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 2, 2017

Way too much. Crystal should be $35-50.

I just had my Gemini 4 serviced this year and it was $550, and that included a replacement crystal. I get not wanting to ship but at $1130 I ship.

Ssunnylee24 likes this.
  18. gdupree Oct 2, 2017

Thanks. $500-700 has been my expectation, barring some unexpected issue with it, so I was surprised to get over $1100. Preferred to keep it local but not at close to double the price. Neither of these two local estimates I've gotten have said that there is any significant issue with the watch, besides a general service and the replacement of the crown and crystal. Where did you send yours @Taddyangle ?

Oh the joys of trying to find a watch maker that you really trust and does ya right.

19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 2, 2017

@gdupree

I am in San Diego, so I took mine to D'S Time Service.

I have used them twice.

20. Ninja2789 Oct 2, 2017

I think someone doesn't notice the difference between a Speedy Pro and a Speedy Reduced.

thatonewatchdude and kkt like this.