Forums Latest Members
  1. dabbispade Apr 8, 2019

I got a Speedmaster reduced model (3510.50), I really like it but since I was a kid I always wanted the real deal, the pro model 3570.50.
    There is one problem, I live in Iceland and there is no one here selling Omega so I would need to order one online.

I know that the pro is a better watch but does anyone here own both or had own both and can tell me or compare them or just anything ?

What I really need is someone to push me over the edge so I can just order a pro! :D

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 8, 2019

Oh, you'll find plenty of enablers for that on this board. I own both, like them both for different reasons.

Before the Reduced critics get in here I'll promote it. It's an automatic; I like automatic. It's 38mm; I like 38mm on my wrist. It's a watch I'm not too careful with because, well, it's not all that expensive. You'll read all this crap about servicing the movement. Get the base serviced if it needs it. The chrono module can wait until it breaks then have Omega replace the whole thing. Great watch.

3. Sublime_1 Apr 8, 2019

I have both. Like the reduced but I love the pro. I'd say I wear the pro weekly and the reduced once a quarter.
    But, I have 7.75in/19.5cm wrist so I feel the reduced looks a little small and 42 is my preferred "sweet spot".
    The bracelet while comfortable sometimes will grab a hair.
    I can't for the FU::censored:: ING life of me synchronize the seconds and minute hand on just this one watch.

My choice is the pro, hands down. I had it first and don't regret getting it.

dabbispade and Foo2rama like this.
  4. Canuck Apr 8, 2019

I have both. I wear the reduced more than I do the Speedmaster. I have a big wrist, so the larger size of the Speedmaster isn’t a factor with me. The automatic IS a factor with me! So many of my vintage and antique wrist watches are manual winders, and all of my pocket watches, as well. I forget to wind them. There’s another reason why the reduced gets more wear. We all know what the majority of Speedmasters look like, and so many of the reduced resemble the Speedmaster closely. My reduced has “bling”, which I find I rather like. It is 18-karat rose gold on steel, with rose gold sub dials on a black background.

I have serviced the timepiece module on these reduced, and while I haven’t had to service mine, I could if the need arises. The chrono module. Nope, not that part of it.

EE93D193-DCCD-4135-830F-F088B990B6BE.jpeg

5. dabbispade Apr 8, 2019

Any idea what Omega charges for it ?

6. fakinbacon Apr 8, 2019

Started with a 3539.50 Reduced and then eventually upgraded to a sapphire sandwich and haven't looked back. I have smaller wrists (~6.75 inches) and was initially bought the reduced since I thought I couldn't pull off the 42mm Pro, but the size difference isn't really that significant and the short lugs makes it easy to pull off.

I might've hung onto the Reduced but had heard some horror stories about servicing the module-based movement. I also didn't like how far apart the subdials were on the Reduced... made it seem unbalanced, whereas the Pro is perfect. I also have to have clear casebacks on my mechanicals so the .006 was the way to go for me. And lastly - if you really want a moonwatch, you should get the real deal.

Happy to answer any other questions you might have about differences between the two. Good luck with your search.

dabbispade likes this.
  7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 8, 2019

Everybody hears these horror stories. I told my watchmaker to service the base module and don't worry with the chrono. I mean I use the chrono for timing my coffee in my french press and not much else. This gives purists the willies I guess but it works for me.

I hear Omega charges around $800 US for the service, I don't know, could be more. When mine gets to the broken point I'll find out. Oh, I have 3 watches with the hybrid movent; 2 reduced Speedies and a Dynamic all serviced like that. All run fine for me.

8. Sublime_1 Apr 8, 2019

IMG_20190214_174106752.jpg

Side by side shot for you.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2019

You're definitely not the first and won't be the last to buy the reduced and then want to upgrade, I'm sitting next to a mate who recently bought a Schumacher LE edition reduced and I gave him the usual warnings about the movement, he paid a lot for it and now its in for an $1100 service. But that's not what you asked, the Pro isn't massive and many women wear them too, the asymmetrical case accounts for some of that size and makes it sound bigger than it really is, its a great watch, cheap to maintain with your local qualified independent watchmaker and durable. I even have a 44.25mm larger sized Apollo 8 and frankly it feels nowhere near that big and looks perfectly fine even though its larger than a Deepsea Seadweller diameter wise.

10. 77deluxe Apr 8, 2019

I think you’ll never regret upgrading to the pro.

11. Canuck Apr 8, 2019

Upgrade, to a Pro.? I guess if that’s your preference. I don’t consider my Profession to be an “upgrade” over my reduced. I bought my Pro because the Omega dealer I worked for didn’t like me wearing my Rolex watches to work. He insisted that I buy an Omega. (At dealer cost less 20%). Under duress, I bought my the Professional. I bought the reduced because I wanted it, and after 30 years of owning both, it is the reduced that gets worn, 9 times out of 10, when I choose between the two. The Professional an upgrade? Depends on your point of view, and your point of view isn’t one that I share.

12. robinhook Apr 8, 2019

I’ve got a lady’s version speedy reduce for my wife, Japanese limited edition with a pink pearl dial. She loves it.

One issue I noticed was that everytime when I set the time, the minute hand would not engage until about 30 seconds later. For example, say I have the small second hand hacked at zero, adjust the time and have the minute hand aligned perfectly to the 12:00 minute marker, then push the crown in, the small second hand will start running immediately. But after a full minute, the minute hand is only at the middle between 12:00 and 12:01.

I had it serviced by an Omega certified watchmaker. After the service it sill act the same way and the watchmaker explained that it’s normal, due to the gap in gears between the base module and chronograph...

Has other speedy reduced owner experienced this phenomenon?

03FE857E-1ED0-4536-B0E7-FB3F76786E41.jpeg
  13. FlyingSnoopy Apr 9, 2019

Personally, I prefer manual movements and the prof is as classic as you can get...
    But do not listen to us, listen to your heart
    Cheers

starcraft likes this.
  14. starcraft Apr 9, 2019

or go in-between with the FOIS. 39 mils and display caseback!
    I have a manual wind panerai and I dont find it an issue to wind, as compared with my omega SMP which is automatic.
    buy one when you go on holiday to europe or just buy online. better yet buy one through this forum.

15. MRC Apr 9, 2019

Yes, my 3510.50 takes 10 seconds to start moving the seconds hand and 30 seconds to start the minute hand on winding from stopped. I don't think the seconds hand can be hacked, or is that the "slight back pressure on the crown" trick?

image8772.png

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 9, 2019

Omega charges the same to service this as any other chronograph.

And on your watchmaker only servicing the base movement...if you asked him to only do half the job and that's what he did for you, that's fine. The problem comes when watchmakers say they can service these watches, and don't mention that they are only servicing the base movement.

17. dabbispade Apr 10, 2019

Thanks guys I really appreciate the response (specially those who helped throwing me off that cliff :))

Next questions - where is the best place to find the Speedy Pro online? - like I said, thousands of miles from next Omega AD !
    I bought the reduced model from eLady global and not sure if I want to buy from them again - and is there any online seller that I could throw my reduced speedy in a trade + cash ?

18. Canuck Apr 10, 2019

Any dealer that might accept your Speedmaster reduced in a trade in will know you don’t want the watch, that’s why you want to do the swap. He won’t know how badly you don’t want the watch, so he’ll give you a song and dance about how hard they are to sell, how the Speedmaster is far more desirable to collectors, and he’ll pull out an arsenal of tales about reliability, problems of servicing the reduced, etc. etc. Yada yada. Plus, he won’t give you a break on the price of the watch you want to buy. My suggestion is that you look for someone who actually WANTS a reduced, sell it to him, then take your cash and bargain hard on the price of a Speedmaster.

19. Jantar Apr 10, 2019

I bought my reduced on eBay, wore it for awhile and sold it to Crown and Caliber for more than I paid for it. I ended up taking that money and some more I’d saved and buying a 145.022 69 ST

Of the two I prefer the pro over the reduced but I really liked the reduced.

robinhook likes this.
  20. Wryfox Apr 10, 2019

I have both. Both fit and wear fine but I wear the reduced more regularly simply for the convenience of the automatic movement. Being slightly smaller it's also a bit less intrusive, ie getting caught on pockets, sleeves, etc..