Forums Latest Members
  1. Socrates67 Jul 22, 2019

Very happy with the performance of my recently acquired Speedy Reduced (from 1998). After 7 measurements, it’s reading within 3 seconds a day. I wound it up fully when I received it last Tuesday. Since then, I just wear it during the day and put it in the watch winder at night - that's it. I haven't wound it since that first time.

toolwatch.jpg
    Manny1979 likes this.
  2. Canuck Jul 22, 2019

Welcome to the league of Speedmaster reduced owners. Don’t listen to what a lot of Speedmaster owners say about them. I love my 1990 reduced.

EA0DBD82-0B83-4D93-85C1-0394BEA0B831.jpeg

MrFriday* and Socrates67 like this.
  3. Socrates67 Jul 22, 2019

I don't mind the occasional Speedy-Pro snobbery. I must admit, I'm given to a bit of snobbery myself: whenever I see somebody showing off their Seamaster with a quartz movement, I can't help being a bit embarrassed for them.

McKnife likes this.
  4. fastfras Jul 22, 2019

This one runs at +5 spd, gotta like the Speedmaster Automatic. IMG_1108.jpg

Manny1979, FRS and Socrates67 like this.
  5. JFerraro819 Jul 22, 2019

my speedy moonhase runs about a minute slow after 1 month.

Socrates67 likes this.
  6. Canuck Jul 22, 2019

Mine is very accurate. How accurate I can’t tell you because I change watches several times a week, so I don’t have a record of longer term performance.

Socrates67 likes this.
  7. Socrates67 Jul 22, 2019

Here's a pic of the watch. It came with the original bracelet, but I put on a Hirsch 'Principal' curved lug-end black leather strap on it.

67125179_10162574393130393_4197966795354669056_n.jpg
    Canuck likes this.
  8. Socrates67 Jul 25, 2019

I realize that these iPhone watch accuracy apps are by no means particularly precise, but still, it does feel good seeing a result like this:

IMG_0238.jpg
  9. Canuck Jul 25, 2019

I’ll have to run a test on my reduced for comparison. That is excellent though. I think mine is within about 2 seconds per day.

Socrates67 likes this.
  10. tzachi Aug 2, 2019

There is the accuracy and there is reliability. How do you find it (owners from new?)? how often does it needs service,
    and how loud is the balance noise when rotating ? tnx

Manny1979 likes this.
  11. janw23 Aug 3, 2019

I've a ~30 year old Reduced with not a single service between then and now (still has the 1140 movement) - still keeps time to +/- 4s p/d, good Chrono action, no misaligned subdials or drastic reduction in power reserve, if that helps. Rotor noise unnoticeable. Worn pretty much daily by a family member and then me.

The 1140/1143/3220 movements are great - very thin, old school ETA workhorse movement, parts readily available. They only get a bad wrap from hardcore forum dwelling WIS because they find the modular design conceptually inelegant and/or the chrono module is supposedly annoying for some watchmakers to work on. It's overblown IMO, and it's all the same if you're sending it in to Omega to get serviced.

It's no wonder Omega decided to discontinue this line, it's too good for the asking price.

Edited Aug 3, 2019
    Manny1979 and FRS like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2019

True - if you send the watch to Omega it's no different than any other chronograph to get serviced. But your options for service are more limited - some people have a problem with being tied to the manufacturer, and some don't.

As for using your ~30 year old watch as an example, I would advice people that if true this is most certainly an anomaly. Not just for the Reduced, but for any watch.

janw23 likes this.
  13. Lurk41 Aug 3, 2019

I have a 3510.50, so with a 3220. Unless putting your ear close to the watch, you do not hear the rotor. Same as with my DeVille 2628 (first coaxial generation if I am not mistaken) and Hamilton Khaki H-10. The sound is more muffled on the Omegas compared to the Hamilton, which has a higher pitch.

On the wrist or on the winder, it is below +1s/d.
    The only issue I had was a few month after a service, the chronograph hour hand wasn't resetting exactly to 0 anymore. It constantly reset to 0h15min. Was taken care under warranty, happened again a few weeks after I got it back, warranty again and now it is fine.
    I am using its chronograph 2 to 4 time a week for sport, sometime more if I want to time trifles.

I cannot tell about "how much" you can service it. But you should service it like any other watch, or any mechanical stuff in fact: way before you start having issue with it.
    Now, I do not know if it was linked to the limited option for service Archer talked about, but I asked an independent watchmaker (one that has good reviews in french forums), he asked me the same price than Omega. So I went to Omega...

Edited Aug 3, 2019
  14. rudagger Aug 3, 2019

I quite like the quartz Seamasters from the 90's. If I were wearing one, and you were embarrassed for me, I would conclude that you don't fully appreciate the benefits of quartz or the full history of Omega. I would be embarrassed for you. Now I shall allow you to retort :)

McKnife and FRS like this.
  15. Socrates67 Aug 3, 2019

I was just throwing shade; trying to show how absurd watch snobbery in general is. Given how much snobbery Speedy Reduced owners are exposed to on this forum, I thought the irony of turning around and being a snob was satirical. Sorry that didn't come through. I have no issues with well made watches regardless of how they are powered.

McKnife and FRS like this.
  16. S.H. Aug 3, 2019

Good advice. About the watchmaker's quote : he would probably send the watch to an Omega service centre, hence the same price. That is what I do (and I explain it to the client beforehand). I don't touch modular chronos like these, period. I have enough strange things to work on as it is.

17. ras47 Aug 3, 2019

Why would anyone throw shade at a Speedmaster Reduced owner?? It's the SAME WATCH, just a bit smaller. And if you have small wrists you wouldn't want to strap on my beefy 44.25mm co-axial Speedmaster. I applaud Omega for offering the iconic Speedy in multiple sizes so everyone can comfortably enjoy them.

Socrates67 likes this.
  18. Canuck Aug 3, 2019

“Why would anyone throw shade at a Speedmaster Reduced owner??”

I have a Speedmaster reduced and a Speedmaster. I get the impression that collectors who have a negative opinion about the reduced, don’t own one! Perhaps it is because the consensus among many collectors seems to be that the modern Speedmaster automatic is a better watch! To each his own.

19. Lurk41 Aug 4, 2019

That is a possibility but on the contrary of you he did not explain it to me. Plus he did not miss the occasion to lay into Omega slowness, so either he was deceitful or he did not intend to send it to Omega: I left him another watch for service and when I got it back, he told me with a big smile "The Speedmaster is still with Omega?" as he was pretty confident it would be a "yes". Sadly for him it was, "No, I retrieved it 6 weeks ago".

Deafcon likes this.
  20. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 4, 2019

NO ITS NOT!

Why are we shouting?