Forums Latest Members
  1. Lunker197 Jul 16, 2014

Just got my 145.022-69 Cal 861 Speedmaster Professional back from the watchmaker. Cost was slightly over 800 Canadian. New crystal seals hands and main spring. One thing that surprised me is the watchmaker told me that this vintage of watch can be overwound. Thought I would pass on the info. My father bought this watch new and after reading some of the posts here decided not to replace the bezel or the hour markers. Did ask for the original hands back . Very happy with the workmanship.

image.jpg
    Darlinboy and TLIGuy like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2014

Vintage or not its a Cal 861, you just wind it until it doesn't want to wind anymore and its fully wound.

Varasc likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 17, 2014

Good call on keeping the correct parts. Looks good.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 17, 2014

Overwound is not a watchmaker term by any means.

There are three states of wind to any watch mainspring - unwound, fully wound, and somewhere in between. The only other state is broken.

A watch that is described as "overwound" is usually one that is found in a drawer, and is not running, or only runs for a second or two. The owner winds it hoping that will help, and it doesn't, so the watch is fully wound and not running. They then conclude it's "overwound" thinking they did something to it, when all it needs is a service.

TNTwatch and Habitant like this.