Forums Latest Members

Speedy Pro or Transocean Chrono for Pilot

1. lance78c May 16, 2017

Hi, guys,
    I'm new to the forum and I'd like to know what you guys think about these two watches as pilot watches. First off, I understand that this is an Omega forum, so I have an idea of what you guys think, but I know that many of you own Breitlings as well. To me the watches have a similar draw in that they convey a lot of information in a relatively simple and organized manner. I've always been a huge fan of Breitling--their marketing is second to none-- but I also am enamored with the aeronautical history surrounding the Omega. I am a pilot, soon to be airline, so visibility is also something to take into account. Also, if you have any other suggestions for a chronograph pilot's watch, I'd love to learn about them. IWC pilot watches are sublime, but they are out of my price range. Thanks in advance.

ras47 and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 16, 2017

You are a pilot...ANY watch that you wear as a pilot is automatically a pilot watch. Of course, that's just my
    opinion. :D

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_8198.JPG

Edited May 18, 2017
  3. ras47 May 16, 2017

I could never pull off the two watch look, even for a quick pose. In fact, you and Buzz Aldrin are the only people I know that could do it. I'd simply come off as a poncy douche. You guys that actually fly (of flew) have the gravitas to make it work. Buzz, in fact, has been seen with THREE watches at once. And he rocks it. :)

oddboy and Mad Dog like this.
  4. kkt May 16, 2017

If you're thinking of greatest readability, without going to a pocket watch, maybe a Railmaster? Here's the tribute to the 1957 edition,
    railmaster_01.jpg

Mad Dog likes this.
  5. ras47 May 16, 2017

I'd recommend the Omega. The Breitlings are just too busy for my personal taste. I love the Omega Speedmaster's elegant simplicity and superb legibility. I agree that the IWC pilot watches are gorgeous, but it's true that they're next-level as far as price is concerned. If you're looking for a bargain watch you might take a look at some of the Seiko offerings. Otherwise, I say go with the Speedmaster.

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. kkt May 17, 2017

Or a GMT Master, made for airline pilots:
    Rolex.jpeg

blufinz52, sky21, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 17, 2017

Sinn 903 for a real Navitimer with an e6b slide rule. Something the current Breitling Navitimers are not allowed to have.

Traditional German flieger; Laco, Tutima, or Stowa. This is what the basic IWC's are based on.

Seiko skx or turtle rerelease are both great respected watches with timer bezels and are worn by our resident pilot.

Speedmaster Professional, good enough for NASA and at lest one current U2 pilot.

All but the Speedy are available for under 2k most under 1k, the Seiko under 200 and 500 respectively.

Oddly you say Breitling has second to none marketing... they just had a press release claiming that their marketing needs to be updated and is antiquated...

If you want a Navitimer the Sinn 903 is the true heir to the Navitimer throne. Breitling went bankrupt in 1978 and sold the rights to the watch to Sinn. In the 80's they sued for the name, which they got but the actual watch design is held by Sinn which is why New Breitlings don't look like the vintage ones. Plus the Sinn at 42mm is a better size then the larger Breitlings.

IMG_4430.JPG

Kmart, sky21, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  8. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 17, 2017

You can do it. :thumbsup:

Give it the old college do. :thumbsup:

IMG_9676.JPG

kkt likes this.
  9. lance78c May 17, 2017

Thanks for all your help, everyone. I'm really leaning towards the Speedmaster at this point. Thanks for introducing me to the Sinn; it looks like a stellar watch, but I have an irrational fear of purchasing from a less known marque. I'll update when I seal the deal.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 17, 2017

If your referring to the less known name I see your point as it's less prestigious to non watch people. That was a bit of a sticking point for me I'll admit. But the history of the watch, the size, the minefield of buying a vintage Navitimer, as well as mine being a somewhat rare version that has the same movement as the Speedmaster Pro in it convinced me that it was the best way to get that style of watch with a nod to history, dependability, and future value.

If it's quality, have no fear Sinn is a very highly respected watch maker known for durability and quality. Watch guys respect Sinn, and many members here own Sinns. I think they are over 55 years old now and are some of the most demandingly tested watches out there. They basically started the legal definition of a pilots watch with TESTAF technical standards which is now a DIN standard , similar to the DIN certification and legal requirements for a watch labeled as divers.

To be honest everything mentioned in this thread is good advice. At the end of the day your the one wearing

11. kkt May 18, 2017

There's a nice vintage GMT Master for sale in the "Private Sales" section (no association with seller).

12. Kmart May 18, 2017

@Foo2rama That Sinn is KILLER! The dial is so perfectly balanced, more so than the Navitimer.

Pic of the aforementioned absurdity:

Buzz Aldrin.PNG

What a legend.

AAAKK, Mad Dog and ras47 like this.
  13. ras47 May 18, 2017

Buzz Aldrin is a total badass. No doubt about it. Jim Lovell too, but he only wears one watch at a time. :)

Mad Dog and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 18, 2017

Thanks!! same movement as a speedy pro, a somewhat hard to find variation. They still use the same dial on the new 903's. It's closer to the vintage Navis then the current Breitlings. Next to each other mine at 42mm, the current small 43mm O1 looks a lot larger and has better bezel knurling and slightly more interesting lugs. But I like the inner bezel and dial better on the Sinn. Plus price wise no question lol.

Edited May 18, 2017
  15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' May 18, 2017

Mad Dog likes this.
  16. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion May 18, 2017

All the astronauts are badasses. :cool:

oddboy, Foo2rama and ras47 like this.
  17. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 18, 2017

Foo2rama likes this.