Forums Latest Members

Speedy Pro case/bezel replacement

1. njelectric Jan 15, 2020

i just sent my watch to Omega for repair. When winding the the crown it just keeps spinning. I'm assuming it's a broken main spring. I just got the report back from Omega and in addition to the $750 full service it needs they also want to replace the entire case. In addition to the broken mainspring there's a decent ding on the bottom of the bezel (always kind of annoyed me) and apparently they don't make that bezel anymore so to replace the bezel they would need to replace the whole case. Sounds kind of extreme to me, but what do I know. The watch dates back to 1991 so it's not like it's super vintage and rare but still, I just want to make sure this wouldn't be a bad idea. The cost isn't too bad either they would charge $250 (they obviously would keep the original case) for a brand new case, bezel, and crystal (total repairs about $1000). They said it would be sent to Switzerland and would take about 9 weeks. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about that prior to giving them the ok. I know it was just sent in for a spring replacement but the idea of getting a practically brand new watch back is tempting too. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. OMEGuy Jan 15, 2020

The main opinion here is that you should NOT send your watch to OMEGA.

Do you have any pictures of the watch?

Badwolf likes this.
  3. bama2141 Jan 15, 2020

Personally I think this is a pretty good deal. As you say, this isn’t a rare vintage model which would be compromised by new parts. It won’t turn into an overpolished case since it will be a new case. Coupled with the always furnished new hands, crown, pushers, and crystal, plus any needed movement parts, it’ll appear to be a new watch. I’d go for it.

4. OmegaOwner2019 Jan 15, 2020

It really depends on if you want to flip the watch in the future.

Flip: Don't replace any parts.

Keep: Go nuts and let Omega refurbish the watch.

5. njelectric Jan 15, 2020

I drew an arrow pointing to the ding in question right under the 130 mark. Also, to clarify this was never something I was looking to fix prior to them bringing it up.

28ABED18-37C4-42F5-9F17-896909DF71C3.jpeg 9D7E0A50-73DD-4E75-A409-91224DA41793.jpeg
    Badwolf and OMEGuy like this.
  6. njelectric Jan 15, 2020

You think even on a early 90’s model I’d compromise the resale value if I ever decided to sell in the future?

7. OmegaOwner2019 Jan 15, 2020

The attitude with vintage watch collecting is that any non-original parts will diminish the watch's worth. Having the whole case replaced will certainly hurt the resell value.

However, if this is just your beater and you are not planning to resale it, then you can just let Omega do their face-lift.

8. OMEGuy Jan 15, 2020

Is there an option to let them change the parts and send the original ones back to you?

9. OmegaOwner2019 Jan 15, 2020

I think they always send the small parts back to you.
    I don't know if they will return a whole case to you though.

10. Badwolf Jan 15, 2020

Personally I’d leave as it is, the damage is so minor. New case will probably include case back, and this will bring the value of the watch down. Omega don’t care about your watch, they’re just trying to get more money. Originality is very important, ding’s and all. It’s a nice Speedy that is ageing well.

OMEGuy likes this.
  11. OmegaOwner2019 Jan 15, 2020

Yup, their goal is not to preserve your investment or memories.

Their goal is to have you not bringing the damn watch back again during the two-year repair warranty.

12. OMEGuy Jan 15, 2020

I wouldn't let them replace the case unless they confirm to send back the original.

13. rob#1 Jan 15, 2020

The service will get the innards back to original working order :thumbsup: - I’d leave the rest as it’s a good looking Speedy and the ding gives it its own story.

14. Evitzee Jan 15, 2020

If the ding has always bugged you and you aren't all that fussed about any potential loss of value for any potential future sale, I'd let them do their overhaul. Too often we get obsessed over this originality and patina thing. This isn't likely going to be a model that is going to zoom in value over the next few years. You said you would prefer to get a fresh looking watch back.....nothing wrong with that.

15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 15, 2020

There is nothing wrong with your watch cosmetically apart from a very small dent on the bezel.
    Do yourself a favour and have an independent watchmaker service it at half the cost Omega are quoting.
    You don't need a new case with it's modern bezel which doesn't match your Tritium dial.

njelectric and Badwolf like this.
  16. Dan S Jan 15, 2020

I would be inclined to keep it all original. It's a nice tritium-era watch, and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes collectible within your lifetime.

Mad Dog and njelectric like this.
  17. njelectric Jan 15, 2020

Thanks for all the replies! I think I’m going to request the watch back and just find someone local to replace the spring and do a light service on the internals. It just seems crazy to replace the whole exterior of the watch over just a small ding. Just so I know ahead of time, any idea what I should expect to pay for a mainspring replacement?

Badwolf likes this.
  18. Dan S Jan 15, 2020

You can do a piecemeal repair by having someone replace the mainspring, but that seems shortsighted to me. I truly don't know what "light service on the internals" means, but unless it has been serviced recently (or you are going to sell the watch), I would suggest a full COA service (with parts replaced as needed) and new seals. It will still likely be substantially less than what you were prepared to pay Omega, and it is standard maintenance. With a full service, most watchmakers will give you a solid warranty (e.g. one-year) on operation and timekeeping. Otherwise, you could do a piecemeal repair, and soon find that the watch has other problems.

Edited Jan 15, 2020
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 16, 2020

Yes, this is an issue with current bezels and case backs not fitting cases made by specific manufacturers that I have brought up a few times before.

The new case is being sold to you at a greatly reduced price as a new case is about $1800 US, so $250 is only a fraction of the cost. IMO this is a very good deal for those cases that really do need parts replaced, as Omega could simply say tough luck and charge you full price for a new case. The case is replaced at this price on an exchange basis only, so you will not be able to keep the old case.

In this instance, if the only issue is the bezel, then certainly there's no real "need" to replace the case.

Once again, all Speedmaster bezels do not fit all Speedmaster cases. And the same goes for case backs.

Cheers, Al

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. flw history nerd Jan 16, 2020

I say go for it. And while they're at it, you can ask them to replace the hands, dial, movement, bracelet ...

... oh wait ... then you'd have the watch of Theseus. :confused::D