Forums Latest Members

Omega service refinishing/polishing or case/bezel replacement?

1. all-x Oct 10, 2018

Hello all,

Looking at the below for the moment.

The bezel seems to have some pretty serious damage and I'm not sure Omega would go to the trouble of trying to polish/brush it out, it most likely will require a replacement, does anybody have any idea on cost of a bezel?

The lug has some damage as well, do you think they could fix this with a brush/polish or would they recommend a new case?

bezel damage.jpg lug damage.jpg
    Thanks

fskywalker likes this.
  2. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 10, 2018

The case aside (which you could probably get taken care of at a competent watchmakers), Omega would definitely end up replacing that whole bezel. Your insert actually looks really nice, and those can sometimes go for a lot of money on their own ($100-$200). Personally, I'd keep an eye out on ebay for a full bezel+insert where the insert has been scratched up (usually the bezels are in good shape)--then pop out the insert and swap with your good one. The cost in parts would be $50-$100 at most, which is a good sight less than the $300+ that omega would charge for a new bezel/insert. All it takes is a little patience, and making sure you get the EXACT bezel part number that you need (some may look the same, have the same dimensions, but the teeth on the track won't line up).

I actually did a writeup with photos a year or two ago detailing the process of swapping bezel inserts. It's a pretty easy job, and the press+dyes can be had for less than $20 at harbor freight.

all-x likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2018

I think you are assuming that this is an aluminum insert bezel, but I think this is a ceramic bezel. Not likely to find a "scratched up" bezel on eBay for cheap with a ceramic insert.

So to the OP, tell us what the reference number is and we can better help you understand the options. Looks like it might be a ref.
    212.30.41.20.01.003 , and if so a new steel bezel portion only (without the insert) is going to be in the $250 range, and a whole new bezel assembly will be much more as the ceramic insert is an expensive part. Complete bezel is closer to $600...

Cheers, Al

all-x and mokofoko like this.
  4. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 11, 2018

Ah yes, I assumed aluminum. I wasn't even aware you could buy replacement bezels sans inserts (if only for ceramics). Learn something new every day.

5. all-x Oct 12, 2018

Hi Al,

Thanks for the feedback, it was indeed a 212.30.41.20.01.003, however it ended up going for a few hundred more than what it was worth to me in the condition it was in.

Kind regards,

Alex

6. Hunter87 Oct 15, 2018

I have heard watched can be repaired using micro weld spots like in the attached video to fill in the marks then they refinish the watch straight over the weld.

all-x likes this.
  7. all-x Oct 15, 2018

Wow very impressive work

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 15, 2018

That's a laser welder...like this one a friend of mine has...one of these days I'll play around with it for case refinishing, but just have to find the time...

[​IMG]

thelinendial and fskywalker like this.